1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bumper integrated winch mount - product dev questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by usoffroad, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Sep 12, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    Count me as interested.

2. Sep 12, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    Jonesn13

Jonesn13 Nifty

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '16 T4R Trail Premium, 08 AC 4x4 6spd(Sold)
    Some, Suspension and stuff, tires, maybeh some armor.
  3. Sep 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    offroadwonder

offroadwonder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    Chopped mud-flaps (yup, I'm hardcore)
    I have been looking at something like this for some time and would be very interested, but it would all come down to price. The Undercover WMS is pretty badly overpriced for what you get in my opinion, so I've been drawing up some ideas to build myself.

But given a good price, I would much rather buy it and bolt it on rather than engineer it myself.

4. Sep 12, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    HighTideTaco

HighTideTaco The Way Life Should Be

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport
    Swapped Hoods (!!!), DTRL Toggle Switch, Disabled seatbelt/ignition chime, Disabled lock/unlock beeps, Installed D-Rings in bed, Debadged "Toyota" on transom (now just one line straight across), Removed mud flaps, Removed TRD Stickers, Custom aluminum "ladder rack" with CB mount (Wilson 2000 Trucker; Uniden 520), WeatherTech; Just getting started!
    Definitely interested. The FJ version looks great! :thumbsup:

5. Sep 12, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    Atomic47

Atomic47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    Leveling kit, AAL, air-ride, Rear diff breather mod, Illuminated 4wd Switch, 4 more D rings, fog lights anytime, 7 pin relocate, Coca-Cola mod, TRD Off-Road hook, Weathertechs, secret custom cargo light, 09 lower dash panel, heated seats, 2013 oem touch screen radio, reverse camera added into Pop'n'Lock locking tailgate handle, black powder-coated TRD Sport rims, 32" light bar in custom fabricated mount, aux reverse lights in rear bumper
    If it looks as good as the FJ pictured then it would be something that I would consider. I like it.

6. Sep 13, 2012 at 8:01 PM
    hilux30

hilux30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PEI
    Vehicle:
    '15 4Dr SB 6MT
    OTT tune 3 degree cam gear OME/Dobinson
    I would be 100% on board, as long as it's less than an ARB bumper with a winch. I tried to read all the posts to see if any mention of price...

Did you try fitting the FJ mount to a Tacoma? they are almost Identical hardware in the front...

7. Sep 19, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    LBPtaco

LBPtaco Swab

Member:
    First Name:
    Winter
    California Maritime Academy
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    Total Chaos, SAW, Allied, Light Racing, Dakar, Billstein, Fox, URD, JBA, Demillo, Downey, Cooper, American Racing, B.A.M.F., Alpine, Ghetto Fab...
    X2!

8. Sep 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    Anyone that thinks the Undercover HWMS is 'badly' overpriced either has not seen the actual product, or is unaware of what design/engineering/raw materials/manufacturing costs are for low production runs. I'd be very interested to see how much cheaper you can make your own for - assuming you actually value your time in labor.

9. Sep 19, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    Socalduckslayer

Socalduckslayer Pelfreybilt Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Diego, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma
    Odds and Ends
    The 2012 fits like this. Must have divorced solenoid on winch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Sep 19, 2012 at 4:13 PM
    offroadwonder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    My point is that in reference to the market it is overpriced. If you can buy a full plate winch bumper for $750 then why would the market support a mounting bracket for $450? I have no idea if I could produce a cheaper option. As I stated, I would rather let someone else engineer the product and earn the resulting profit. I just don't have the time.

So my statement was that I am interested if it can be produced cheaper, otherwise the best option is a plate winch bumper. Which is why I responded to the OP in the first place: to voice my interest and what would make the product worth-while to me.

11. Sep 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM
    LBPtaco

LBPtaco Swab

Member:
    First Name:
    Winter
    California Maritime Academy
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    Total Chaos, SAW, Allied, Light Racing, Dakar, Billstein, Fox, URD, JBA, Demillo, Downey, Cooper, American Racing, B.A.M.F., Alpine, Ghetto Fab...
    I realize its a sale, but...

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=8678

you are right, i havent seen the product. im sure that it is a well designed and built product. once the design is done and a jig is made, making one or one hundred is no different. (yes, labor and material cost is understood)

12. Sep 20, 2012 at 5:26 AM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    Don't forget to add $100-$200 for powder coating on the price of the plate bumpers. The Undercover comes with a very good powder coating on it.

My point really is, if you try to make it yourself, you will no doubt use more materials than you need for trial and error. You will spend countless hours engineering it. You will need all of the proper equipment to fabricate the pieces and weld it all. Some folks may already have all of this equipment, so it's just a matter of engineering and R&D. Then consider the costs of building that jig that you would need if you did decide to mass produce them. Then decide if you want to make them for fun for everyone, or if you want to make a reasonable profit.

Try calling any machine shop/fabrication shop in America (or China if you don't mind that stuff), and see if you can buy 1 of them for the same price you can buy 100 of them for. I work with hundreds of machine shops, and also did estimating for them in my former life. I don't know any that can make 1 for the same price as 100.

For me, I don't compare the Undercover to a plate bumper. Even if they were the same price, I would get the Undercover. They're two different products. I didn't choose it because of the price, I chose it because of the look. I don't want a 125 lb. bumper just to hold my winch. I prefer the stock front end (till I tear it off on a rock of course :))

The $499 bumper in the link looks like a very good bargain though for folks that would prefer a plate bumper. Not sure where it's made, but I can take a guess.....

13. Sep 20, 2012 at 7:08 PM
    offroadwonder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
  14. Oct 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    What ever came of this???

15. Oct 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    Nothing. I sent a PM to guy to see about using my truck for RD since I am local. Never heard back but he post that FJ product on CL from time to time. Decided if I cant even get a response to a PM then I can give someone else my business with better customer service.

16. Oct 18, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    troy28

troy28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capitol of Salty Roads
    Need help
    Is this still looking like a teaser for a new product or any chance of it becoming a reality?

17. Oct 22, 2012 at 1:03 PM
    usoffroad

usoffroad [OP] TEXAN Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Hico, Texas
    Vehicle:
    1998 4Runner and 1970 FJ40
    First off. I had my PM notifications off via email, not sure why, probably a fat finger. That is fixed now.

Second, I apologize I haven't been around but I had to have surgery to remove my Thyroid because of cancer. It was something unexpected of course and took quite some time to prep for. I still have some radiation to look forward to in a couple of weeks and another few weeks of recuperation. Then I get the privilege of doing it all again in 6 months.

Sometimes the assumption that you are being wronged isn't always correct.

Third. I'm trying to setup a small fab shop at my house so I can better deal with prototyping new products on the fly. Even in normal times I'm buried and short on time. This has been slow as my energy levels are at about 40% of normal right now.

Tacoma mounts are first on my list. I've had many requests for these and want to provide a good mount. First I have to get well, then prototype then we can look at production. All will take time in addition to holidays and the normal new year delays.

Local guys that can provide some R&D help will of course be critical to this and very much appreciated when the time comes.

18. Oct 22, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    usoffroad

usoffroad [OP] TEXAN Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Hico, Texas
    Vehicle:
    1998 4Runner and 1970 FJ40
    Good idea, and something that will be considered.

19. Oct 22, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    dang it man..i hate cancer.

get well, focus on that. my coworker has the same thing. he did just fine with the entire thing (treatment)..didnt even miss that much work, just low energy. we quit pushing him. then he blew out both knees moving a dumpster..

20. Oct 22, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Crewmax TSS Off-Road 4x4, sr5/leather
    Wow! so sorry man... thyroid issues are not fun. just having a low thyroid can leave you with no energy. Hope you get better man!

Products Discussed in

To Top