1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bumper integrated winch mount - product dev questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by usoffroad, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Nov 9, 2013 at 6:22 AM
    Atomic47

Atomic47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    Leveling kit, AAL, air-ride, Rear diff breather mod, Illuminated 4wd Switch, 4 more D rings, fog lights anytime, 7 pin relocate, Coca-Cola mod, TRD Off-Road hook, Weathertechs, secret custom cargo light, 09 lower dash panel, heated seats, GROM audio with blutooth
    Glad that you're feeling better! Looking forward to watching your progress on this cool idea.

2. Nov 9, 2013 at 6:31 AM
    Yaozer

Yaozer Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red DCSB TRD Sport
    Flowmaster exhaust, 3" Old Man Emu lift, Konig Countersteer Rims, and too much more.
    Nice. Subbed w interest for my 11.

3. Nov 9, 2013 at 6:52 AM
    McElroy

McElroy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Port Charlotte FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD13
    Bed cap, roof rack, bed build.
    I'll take one for my13

4. Nov 9, 2013 at 6:57 AM
    AR15xAR10

AR15xAR10 Aka: "RainbowPuke"

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 V6 IndigoInkPearl ACLBFTMFW
    "More than you can afford pal, TACOMA" WeatherTech Floor liners (front and rear), AVS vent visors, OEM Bed Mat, TRD (oiled) air filter, OEM Front Skidplate, OEM bed extender brackets, black plasti dipped grill emblem, ultragauge plus model, remote start, reese hitch, Grom Ipod interface, quickfists on custom bedrail mount to hold axe/shovel, EBC stage 5 super street brake kit, rokblokz mud flaps, superbrightleds map and dome LED lights (warm white), rear diff breather relocation mod, redline tuning Elite stainless hood struts, AFE Mach Force XP 2.5" stainless catback, Ionic Soft Trifold Tonneau, pop&lock, OEM LED tail lights, 35watt reverse light mod, full synthetic fluids, TOYWERX Custom thin lip satoshi, and STEEKERS Adding 4pin receiver harness,, painting afe tip flat black
    I would seriously look into one of these if you made them. If i needed a winch and didn't want to spend the $1200 on a plate bumper at the same time as getting a winch, i would definately look into this alternative. :thumbsup: hope you guys produce it, people will buy it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  5. Nov 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM
    usoffroad

usoffroad [OP] TEXAN

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Granbury, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    US Off Road winch mount, Engo 10k winch, Sirius 2" lights.
    I'm going to give it a few more days for a 12+ owner to volunteer after that I'll move on to the 05-11 models. Those of you who are local and volunteered here or via PM please check your calendars to see if your truck would be available the week before turkey day... just in case.

6. Nov 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM
    Taco Chris

Taco Chris New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Walkertown, NC
    I'd be interested in one when you finish the development phase.

7. Nov 9, 2013 at 5:23 PM
    Benson X

Benson X ...and we're back!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Debadged, Black Toyota Emblem, TRD Emblem, Tint, Leer 100XL w/ Thule Tracker II rails, aFe Stage II Si Pro Dry-S CAI, aFe Mach Power 3" cat-back exhaust, Doug Thorley Y-Pipe, Bedmat, Weathertech liners, Weathertech window vents, Redline Hood Struts, 12v Anytime Mod, Maglight Mod, FOB/Seatbelt Mod, Rear Diff. Breather Mod, OEM Heated Mirrors Mod, OME 886 Coils w/ 90k Nitro Shocks up front, OME N182 Shocks with Dakars and a D29XL AAL in back, Light Racing UCAs, 1/2" Toytec Front Spacers, swaybar delete Mod, (4) 1" BORA Wheel Spacers, 285/70R17 Goodyear MT/R (originals), hidden Cobra 19DX IV w/ 4' Firestik on a Relentless Mount, custom Sliders, ARB Bumper, Warn VR-8000s w/ Syn. line, custom Tool/Hi-Lift mounts, custom Engine Bay and Winch-area LEDs, csJumper interior LEDs, custom TRD Skull Decal, 10" SeeLite LED light-bar custom mounted in the grille, custom Front & Mid skidplate, Garmin 60CSX GPS w/ RAM mounts....RAN OUT OF
    Just stumbled on this thread, thought I would share my experience.

I built a hidden winch mount w/ my uncle in-law a while back using the OEM bumper. This might help with the R&D, and design ideas. You will likely need to notch the pass. side for the A/C lines. I also had to trim the upper brace that sits in the middle of the grille, above the winch.

Hope this helps, and feel free to PM me with any questions. Hope you have a speedy recovery back to health! :thumbsups :cheers:

- Benson X

8. Nov 9, 2013 at 6:58 PM
    weazel

weazel Well-Known Member

Member:
    With my setup I do not have to drop the whole bumper setup the lower black valance has been trimmed and the slots made for the d-rings to slide down. That is a nice piece of work and good luck with the sale.

002.jpg

My control box hot wire to a switch so it cannot be used without turning on the switch

015.jpg

just giving you some ideas :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  9. Nov 12, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    motionridr8

motionridr8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport
    5100's/885's, ICON AAL, LR UCA's, TRD Exhaust, aFe Filter
    in for one for my 2012!

10. Nov 13, 2013 at 3:53 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Dbl Cab LB 4x4 TRD
    Toytec CO's, IRONMAN rear leaf pack, All pro front bumper, Body Armor rear bumper, BA steps MB TKO's w/285/75/16 Terra Grapplers, Bakflip tonneau cover, autopage remote start alarm, Ultragauge
    I will sub just for casual interest and a cool design idea but my main issue would be lack of front end protection because I still have the flimsy factory bumper.

11. Nov 13, 2013 at 5:23 PM
    usoffroad

usoffroad [OP] TEXAN

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Granbury, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Ok.. so no 12+ volunteers for the 19th.

I have a few PM volunteers but I'll post here too.

05-11 local owners, who can make their truck available for the 19-20th and possibly the 21st.. just to be safe?

My goal here is to eliminate the center section of the bumper cover just as the FJ but since I'm not a Taco owner I can't say for sure just how well that will work. The posts above by Benson and weazel are very helpful and greatly appreciated.

12. Nov 14, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    usoffroad

usoffroad [OP] TEXAN

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Granbury, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Ok 300rem7 has kindly volunteered and committed to be the guinea pig for this project so the 05-11 version is first up! We are meeting at the machine shop next Wednesday and hope to have a prototype by the weekend.

13. Nov 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM
    BlindingWhiteTac.

BlindingWhiteTac. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB AT TRD OR
    UWS tool box, Famous Fabrication sliders, ST Maxx
  14. Nov 14, 2013 at 6:34 PM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Resident Otaku

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab Long Bed V6 SR5
    Rain visors, Fog Light Anytime, Uniden 505xl CB Radio and 5 foot Firestick antenna, RTMR Fuse box, Mobtown Offroad Recovery Bar with 2" Receiver Tube
    yep, like was said above you can either delete the whole lower middle bumper cover or you can cut out a slot in the lower valence mesh, either way looks good IMO, i would be interested if you can make on that isnt terribly heavy or expensive

15. Nov 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Debadged, Black Toyota Emblem, TRD Emblem, Tint, Leer 100XL w/ Thule Tracker II rails, aFe Stage II Si Pro Dry-S CAI, aFe Mach Power 3" cat-back exhaust, Doug Thorley Y-Pipe, Bedmat, Weathertech liners, Weathertech window vents, Redline Hood Struts, 12v Anytime Mod, Maglight Mod, FOB/Seatbelt Mod, Rear Diff. Breather Mod, OEM Heated Mirrors Mod, OME 886 Coils w/ 90k Nitro Shocks up front, OME N182 Shocks with Dakars and a D29XL AAL in back, Light Racing UCAs, 1/2" Toytec Front Spacers, swaybar delete Mod, (4) 1" BORA Wheel Spacers, 285/70R17 Goodyear MT/R (originals), hidden Cobra 19DX IV w/ 4' Firestik on a Relentless Mount, custom Sliders, ARB Bumper, Warn VR-8000s w/ Syn. line, custom Tool/Hi-Lift mounts, custom Engine Bay and Winch-area LEDs, csJumper interior LEDs, custom TRD Skull Decal, 10" SeeLite LED light-bar custom mounted in the grille, custom Front & Mid skidplate, Garmin 60CSX GPS w/ RAM mounts....RAN OUT OF
  16. Nov 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    usoffroad

usoffroad [OP] TEXAN

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Granbury, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
  17. Nov 14, 2013 at 7:12 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    I wouldn't shelve your design man, even if the price is the same. There're plenty of Tacos to go around :D

Plus, look at bumpers, skids, and sliders. there are 10+ fab'ers making almost the same shit with their own unique twists and they all make it work.

18. Nov 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    flsupraguy

flsupraguy Member

Member:
    I have a 2013 and would be interested.

19. Nov 14, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Resident Otaku

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab Long Bed V6 SR5
    Rain visors, Fog Light Anytime, Uniden 505xl CB Radio and 5 foot Firestick antenna, RTMR Fuse box, Mobtown Offroad Recovery Bar with 2" Receiver Tube
    Ah he'll no. This just shows what's been done already. Can you do aluminum? If you can then do aluminum, no one had made this type of mount in aluminum yet

20. Nov 15, 2013 at 4:28 AM
    usoffroad

usoffroad [OP] TEXAN

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Granbury, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Been eating on me all night, something wasn't right.

So, I go to gorillatec's site and look at Wheeler's site and product listing. Hmm.. there's one for the FJ too. Gee, design looks familiar and some of the verbiage too.

http://www.gorillatec.com/index.php/vehicle-parts/low-profile-fjc-winch-bumper.html

Ok, one thing you guys don't know about me, part of what I've done for a living is find people and connect various pieces of information together. Keep that in mind, not that you have to be a rocket scientist to figure this out.

Since my spidey senses were tingling I did a little research.

GorillaTec, LLC is in Reno, NV. Even though they don't list an address their phone numbers confirm this.

http://www.gorillatec.com/index.php/contact

I check my sales records, one order to a Josh Davis in Reno Nevada in October 2012.

Guess who's a member of said GorillaTec LLC? You guessed it, the very same Mr. Davis.

http://www.corporationwiki.com/p/2bwcuh/josh-davis

http://nvsos.gov/sosentitysearch/CorpDetails.aspx?lx8nvq=L5KOAm8gHHablhZbSRI9Ww%3d%3d&nt7=0

Now, I'm not going to publish the personal details and what not that back this up as I don't share customer info and typically wouldn't even confirm a name, but all of this is public info at one level or another.

Oh...GorillaTec LLC was formed less than 60 days after I shipped this to him.

But if you are going to rip off my design and market it as your own then guess what, it only serves to motivate me. Was it illegal? No, absolutely not. Some say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but gee, at least say you based it on my design... just as I stated when I started off with my used Lucrum mount 2 years ago. Lucrum was no longer in business then and I wanted a mount for my FJ but didn't like several things about their design to I designed my own.

No, patents won't fly here, already checked, too many similar products out there now and prior, plus it's cost prohibitive.

Yeah, I'm gonna make a Tacoma mount, count on it but I'll do it on my own and not by copying his mount that was copied from my FJ design....or would that simply be a circle of life?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
To Top