1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bumper Replacements or Guards vs. Safety Sonar Features

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by BubbaSimpson, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Jan 8, 2018 at 5:48 PM
    BubbaSimpson

BubbaSimpson [OP] New Member

Member:
    Without getting into the "why" of Toyota putting plastic bumpers on Tacomas (especially Off-Road) does anyone have any experience with bumper replacements or bumper guards for the 2018 Tacomas that now have front sonars (TSS-P, PCS, etc.) and rear sonars (Rear Cross Traffic, Parking Assist, etc.)?

The sensors are in the bumpers and if you go for a full on replacement the two companies I have talked to so far say you loose those safety features.

I would think there would be options that have cutouts to move over the emitters or maybe just guards that leave the OEM plastic bumper underneath but don't obstruct the sonar functions.

Any thoughts...

2. Jan 8, 2018 at 5:50 PM
    hosemonkey

hosemonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    sarasota fl
    I know they make rear bumpers with the parking sonars.

3. Jan 8, 2018 at 5:58 PM
    dlo13

dlo13 TinyRigCo.

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Westminster, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona Red Tacoma TRD Pro
  4. Jan 19, 2018 at 12:08 PM
    BubbaSimpson

BubbaSimpson [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks, dlo13.

That was exactly what I was looking for. With the extras for the cutouts, shipping and then paint, looks like it would be around $1200.

Looks like they also have a front bumper replacement for the series 3 body but I need to find out where the emitters are for the front sonars now that they put those safety features on the 2018 model. If they are in the grill and not the bumper in the front then the bumper they have should be fine. (Actualy could be more of an issue with bull giards.)

I am going to keep looking for other options. On the Avid they have a cutout in the metal bumper with their logo. Not a fan of that and maybe another wouldn't.

5. Jan 19, 2018 at 4:52 PM
    dlo13

dlo13 TinyRigCo.

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Westminster, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona Red Tacoma TRD Pro

Find out where the sensors are and see if demello or c4 would be willing to do something custom, or use your vehicle as the prototype

Products Discussed in

To Top