1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Burning Oil Smell

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TuckHolladay, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Jan 17, 2017 at 1:55 PM
    TuckHolladay

TuckHolladay [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad, Blue, stock for now
    Yesterday I noticed my 2015 TRD Off-road with 27000 miles has a burnt smell coming from the engine compartment. It will come in a little to the cab through the vents also when the heat is on.

I checked the oil level and it is fine. Coolant is full. Oil filter is tight.

It has been rainy and muddy and I have been splashing around in puddles at the job site I've been working on.

The smell doesn't linger that long after I park.

It's wet and cold outside so I haven't really gotten under there to check things out.

I am sure it is still under warranty. Has anyone had bad experience with dealers trying not to honor warranty? Will they charge me if they look and find nothing?

2. Jan 17, 2017 at 1:56 PM
    Paul123

Paul123 Web-Wheeler

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Reno
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRDOR pyrite mica, 3" lift 33's, 4.56’s
    You sure it's not just water being boiled on your warm engine? Happens on wet days sometimes

3. Jan 18, 2017 at 5:14 AM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    In my area the answer is definitely yes, regardless of which dealership you take it to. However, many other folks seem to have had the opposite experience.

My work vehicle is a '13 Ford Explorer with AWD and I had several days in a row where I had to drive around a landfill after major fall rainstorms. The mud was about 4"+ inches deep and super stinky. The vehicle smelled bad for weeks, similar to used gear oil, even after several washings. Months later I still get whiffs of stink coming through the vents when I am stopped at a light for a long time.

4. Jan 18, 2017 at 5:21 AM
    Skrain

Skrain Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Member:
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    2009 F.J. Cruiser
    Westin 9 LED Driving Lights.
    I would just wait and see if it goes away when it dries up, then ask for a visual inspection at your next regular service. More then likely just some gunk on the exhaust system or the manifold that smells when it's hot.

5. Jan 18, 2017 at 5:24 AM
    ejl923

ejl923 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Off Road
    every once in a while i experience a burnt rubber smell coming from my truck, but for me its more the rear area, almost like the emergency brake doesnt always disengage fully as i use it every day. Its doesnt always happen, and all fluids are ok.

If you smell it every trip, take it in. If its an anomaly, just keep checking your fluids and visual spot checks

6. Jan 18, 2017 at 7:06 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    If ABS or traction control are kicking on, you might be smelling brakes. It could also be steam coming off hot brakes (or engine as mentioned above), even if ABS isn't coming on.

7. Jan 18, 2017 at 8:33 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    oil filler cap tight? i always screw that one up.

8. Jan 18, 2017 at 4:56 PM
    TuckHolladay

TuckHolladay [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad, Blue, stock for now
    ok thanks everyone. I bet it is just driving through mud and puddles. Ill see if it keeps doing it, if it ever stops raining.

9. Jan 18, 2017 at 5:36 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    yeah its likely just mud n shit steaming up.

Only time i smell burning oil / grease smell is when i lube my U joints and the excess gets flung off onto the exhaust... but that only lasts a day or two.

Products Discussed in

To Top