1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Burning out my headlights?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bobwilson1977, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Oct 29, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    I'm having weird problem. Last week one of my headights burned out. I didn't think much of it other then that it seemed premature because I replaced both of them a year ago. Well... just yesteday the other one burned out as well. I replaced it too. The original lights lasted for 13 years. The last set lasted a year.
    Also- last year the battery in the truck started leaking acid. It was coming out of the top. I thought it might be overcharging so I took the alt in to a shop to have it tested. It was testing as within proper voltage.

So my guess is that either the lights were a total coincidental fluke or the alt is in fact bad and the equipment that tested it was wrong. Its weird because the lights arent any brighter than usual and nothing else is burning out either. The replacement battery is fine as well.

2. Oct 29, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    tacotopher

tacotopher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    Zombie TRD OR
    Grey wire mod, 5100's on all four corners, AAL in the rear, deckplate mod,
    Id check for moisture in the bulb housing

3. Oct 29, 2009 at 1:31 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    You remembered not to touch the glass on the bulb with your bare fingers right?

4. Oct 29, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    I had the same problem with a replacement set of headlights I bought from wlt world and they burned out very quickly. But I got another set and they seem to be working better.

Good luck

5. Oct 29, 2009 at 5:21 PM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    This.
    Sometimes this is the problem...the person replacing the headlight bulbs touches them. This will make them prematurely break.

also check for moisture in the housing. I have broken a bulb off roading because water splached up into the housing and onto a bulb.

6. Oct 29, 2009 at 8:21 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Yep, when changing those Halogen capsules you gotta be just like a surgeon & never, ever ,ever , NEVER ! ( did I say never ? ) touch those little gems with your bare fingers,hands or any other part of the body that has amino acids on it, Get some of those rubberized throw away surgical gloves before you even get the replacement elements because bigger than shit, no matter how careful you try to be, if you don't have the gloves on first I can practically guarantee that you'll get finger prints on them some where & you'll be replacing the bulbs again in a few days. I did this a couple times before realizing that I was fucking up by touching them with bare fingers.....:cool:

7. Oct 30, 2009 at 6:12 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    The oil in your fingers get on those bulbs and they are toast. I hold mine by the prongs on the H4's.

Products Discussed in

To Top