1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bussmann RTMR DIY build material question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Blktre, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Mar 17, 2017 at 8:36 AM
    Blktre

Blktre [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Oz....
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White DCLB TRDOR: The White Goat
    I'm wanting to build one on my own. One to save money and two I enjoy these types of project. I'm looking for smaller quantities of the seals, plugs, and metri pak terminals. All the places I've found so far have 100 or more piece minimum orders. I don't need that many pieces to build this thing and the money adds up.

Thanks......

2. Mar 17, 2017 at 8:41 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    There in lies the rub. Minimum quantities suck. I started out building 2(one for a buddy) and now I'm building them in small groups. It's something like $400-500 to get everything you need at minimum quantities.

3. Mar 17, 2017 at 9:23 AM
    Blktre

Member:
    Land of Oz....
    Vehicle:
    Well, it looks like I won't be building this if I can't find pieces under that large min. I could be building 2 but still this is no money saving project to buying a complete build from Tacoma Pro's and these still don't come with adapters to switches etc. The Bussmann 2-2-4 stripped body is only $28 at Waytek and wiring it with relay's is easy and cheap. I might be going Blueseas it looks like. :(

4. Mar 17, 2017 at 9:28 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I wouldn't get too discouraged. Check out my pricing, link in sig. Mine is a little more DIY in regards to wiring, switches, and such.

5. Mar 17, 2017 at 11:57 AM
    Blktre

Member:
    Land of Oz....
    Vehicle:
    $120 seems like it would be worth your time. I will think on it. I appreciate what you are doing its just I like the process of building and the enjoyment of saying "I built this." My cart at Waytek is sitting at $57 which includes the 2-2-4, relays, and 100 packs of seals and plugs. But it's possible I will join your list and just solder the switches etc. from the RTMR and not use metri-pak's or weather paks.

One question if you don't mind me asking. Are you using 10g TXL wire for your jumpers?

6. Mar 17, 2017 at 2:43 PM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    That'd be cool. I've got extra parts currently to make another box, had a person drop out. I'm using GXL wire, 14ga for accessories and jumpers from fuse to relay and 18ga for the switch wires. I suggest 4ga battery(marine or welding cable works too) cables to the 80amp breaker and relay box from the battery.
    If you're planning on using 10ga wire it sounds like you're wanting to run high currents. The Bussmann rtmr is rated at 80amps per bus bar, Pos and Neg in this case so 80amp draw at one time.
    * Note my boxes have unterminated wires at 6" long so the rest of the wiring to the accessories and switches would be "you built this".

7. Aug 23, 2017 at 9:12 AM
    bagleboy

bagleboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
  8. Aug 23, 2017 at 10:57 AM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
    Depending on quantities needed you could also try to source the seals, plugs, and terminals as samples from the manufacturer.

9. Aug 25, 2017 at 10:00 AM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    take a look at waytek wire. i bought my last few ones from them and with plugs and all that it wasnt that bad of a price.

Products Discussed in

To Top