1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

buy extended warranty, undercoat????

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kmac1036, Dec 18, 2009.

?

Extras to buy with new Tacoma

Poll closed Jan 17, 2010.
  1. extended warranty + underseal

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. warranty only

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. underseal only

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. Nothing

17 vote(s)
    38.6%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Dec 18, 2009 at 6:15 PM
    kmac1036

kmac1036 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KC
    Iowa
    If I wind up buying a new truck, should I get the extended warranty & the undercoat / weather seal? I live in Iowa & quite a bit of salt is used in the winters.

I am bothered by some of the issues I've seen here with the rear diffs, trans, & frames.

Please advise. Thanks for all your help so far!

2. Dec 18, 2009 at 6:28 PM
    madisonsfinest

madisonsfinest Addicted to my DSLR

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC OffRoad 4x4 Debaged
    Factory Roof Rack Avid Offroad Light Bar 16" XD Hoss Truxedo LoPro QT Window Tint Autobot Emblem w/Autobot Shifter Color Matched Grille
    I voted for both only because I did. To me the warranty is a must...3 years and 36K isn't that much and I think the price was reasonable to more than double the warranty. I don't know crap about the undercoating but I live in a place that gets quite a bit of snow, and a lot of salt is on the ground because of it

3. Dec 18, 2009 at 6:49 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    No to either.
    This is where they make most of their money. Also with the fabric protection, paint sealant, etc. If you truly want undercoating, find a good local establisment after you buy the truck. It may be the same place the dealer sends the truck to and charge you twice as much for.

4. Dec 18, 2009 at 7:07 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    I only got the extended warranty. I might get mine undercoated some day, but since they use ground-up lava rock here instead of salt I'm not too worried about it. As far as the fabric and paint protection, get yourself some Scotchguard and a can of wax.

5. Dec 18, 2009 at 9:50 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    Only if the warranty is a 'money back' warranty, where you get most of the money back if you have no warranty claims. No to the other stuff. Undercoat and paint protection is just a waste of money and adds no value.

6. Dec 19, 2009 at 12:09 AM
    TRDTaco808

TRDTaco808 Member

Member:
    Pearl City, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 TRD Sport
    got em both ... saves me time and hassle doing it outside ... only added a few bucks to my monthly total ... why not!? warranty is 100% money back also ... :D

7. Dec 19, 2009 at 12:15 AM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    If the warranty brings you piece of mind and you see value in it then go for it. Be aware that you can get repair warranty coverage through most car insurance policies on a new vehicle for very competitive pricing.

For me the warranty isn't worth it. I'd rather hang onto my money up front and play the odds. I've owned a lot of vehicles and have never had anything go wrong that was covered under warranty.. but I suppose if you plan to keep your truck for a long time (rather then my new one every 3 years approach) then maybe it makes sense?

Undercoat. Are you serious? In Oregon. Might as well get the fabric protectant and have a priest bless it also. Really unnecessary out West. And, it has to be maintained.. if water gets up between the undercoat and the metal it could be much worse.

8. Dec 19, 2009 at 12:25 AM
    JONNY TACO

JONNY TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA.
    Vehicle:
    DARK METALLIC GRAY -DOUBLE CAB SHORT BED
    ADVANTAGE TONNEAU COVER,TOYOTA BED LINER, POP&LOCK TAILGATE LOCK, SIDE TUBES, WIFE IN PASSENGER SEAT
    Consumer reports say not to do either. If you get they extended warrenty, purchase it near the end of your 3-36 warrenty.

9. Dec 19, 2009 at 1:50 AM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    it's orth it to get he underseal

10. Dec 19, 2009 at 5:30 AM
    LEBM

LEBM Thread Killer

Member:
    Eleanor, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO 6MT Midnight Black
    No to the extended warranty, but definitely undercoat... and not through the dealer. I'm happy with Ziebart's work.

11. Dec 19, 2009 at 5:43 AM
    madisonsfinest

madisonsfinest Addicted to my DSLR

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC OffRoad 4x4 Debaged
    Factory Roof Rack Avid Offroad Light Bar 16" XD Hoss Truxedo LoPro QT Window Tint Autobot Emblem w/Autobot Shifter Color Matched Grille
    No need to undercoat in AZ imo. If you do though its guaranteed for 10 years which I think is good in a snowy environment.

12. Dec 19, 2009 at 5:47 AM
    kevin1970

kevin1970 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 access Cab
    If you are in an area with alot of salt i say get both of them. It is always nice to have piece of mind and not have to worry.

13. Dec 19, 2009 at 6:42 AM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    buy the warranty off one of the dealers that post on here....they will be hundreds cheaper than your dealer most likely.

14. Dec 19, 2009 at 6:44 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I voted for the undecoating only because I wish I did and you should see the undercarriage of my 2006 now, even with weekly power washing during the salt season. :( That stuff just loves our toyota frames not matter the year :notsure:

As far as the extended warranty, I waited to see if
    1. I was keeping the truck
    2. What its track record was during the 3/36.

I ended up deciding to keep the truck and also had some pricey repairs, like its 4wd acuator went, a bunch of TSBs (oxy sensor, air intake, springs, brakes). So, went ahead and purchased the toy platinum 7/100/0 4wd plan thru troy d. @ Greenfield, ma. for $880 right before my 3/36 ran out. Figured at that price at least I could have piece of mind & it would be beneficial if I decide to sell it outright in the future.

15. Dec 19, 2009 at 9:02 AM
    Yuma Taco

Yuma Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Yuma, Az
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC TRD
    35% tint windows, OEM black running boards, OEM black roof rack, Foglight mod, De-badged & Sockmonkey Horns decals added, Two ammo box storage units (removed), 110 volt & 12 volt outlets for back seat area, EGR Slimline inchannel visors (all windows), Fold-A-Cover G4, Tonneau, Bedmat.
    I went with the extended warrenty myself.
    I plan on keeping the truck ten years.....:cool:

I,too, live in the Arizona desert so what's the need to undercoat?

Yuma Taco,

16. Dec 19, 2009 at 9:39 AM
    10MGM

10MGM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC MGM 4x4
    all that shit is just that......shit. waste of money. if undercoat is installed at the factory, it MIGHT,do some good. the first rock chip that penetrates the coating allows in debris and traps it. spend as much time washing under vehicle as you do on the shiny side,everytime. when we purchasing our new taco the big whig at the dealership spent much time advising on the merits of ext. warrenty. before i could say a word the wife says "WHAT DO WE NEED THAT FOR. AR WE BUYING A PIECE OF SHIT OR WHAT?" watch the movie fargo. nuf said.

17. Dec 19, 2009 at 10:31 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Undercoating but I would get it done elsewhere. We all know how fast these trucks can rust

18. Jan 25, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    kmac1036

kmac1036 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KC
    Iowa
  19. Feb 11, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    zzbudzz

zzbudzz Active Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DoubleCab Prerunner
    I got the undercoating and paint protection but i haven't got it done yet , i bought the truck on jan 23rd can i cancel this and get my money back? i included it in the finacing ...

20. Feb 11, 2010 at 11:37 AM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    Note that this is a tacoma message board, and it is almost certain anyone with a problem with the truck will post a question here, this does give the false impression this truck is a piece of ####. But for each person with a problem, there are probably hundreds with no problem that probably don't even know this board existed.

If you are bothered by the reliability issue, you should get a different truck. I don't think it is right to buy a known unreliable truck then get an extended warranty, it won't be worth the time and hassle even if you feel you are getting your work done for free

Products Discussed in

To Top