1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buy once, Cry once...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by LT1, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Apr 6, 2012 at 11:44 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Not sure about the OP , but with LR UCA's I have no rub with my 275/70/17 , but TW member teamfast rubs his stock UCA with the same size

2. Apr 7, 2012 at 2:52 AM
    VlineSci09

VlineSci09 My other truck is a Warthog

Member:
    SoDak
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD 4x4 OR
    Stock
    Irish, First off, sick truck. Im gonna do the ultimate bilstein complete or OME complete. Leaning to the billy kit b/c my understanding is the OME isnt adjustable.. I dont really want a full 3'' due to my 265/75/16 wheels not being full enough. With that in mind, AAL or dakar leaf pack for a better level look/stance? AAL gives 2'' lift and dakar...? And lastly it sounds like the UCA is not needed but I wonder does it make the truck "tougher" or is it simply an alignment issue that I wont have to worry about?

3. Apr 7, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    @Vline, true the OME's are not adjustable and it's understandable with the stock tires not filling up the wheel well. I wouldn't mind going up a tire size or two on the 4Runner. What's I've noticed with the OME lift on the 4Runner and Tacoma is there isn't a need for a diff drop either. I had the Toytec diff drop on the Tacoma and noticed a rhythmic vibration after I put it on, I pulled it and she ride nice and smooth with no discernible vibration.

4. Apr 7, 2012 at 9:48 AM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DC/LB/4x4/TRD supa sport!
    Limo Tint all the way around, tailgate theft mod, Console Vault, EGR vent visors, debadged emblems, TRD door emblems, Sockmonkey TOYOTA tailgate sticker, OME 3" lift w/aal, BAMF sliders, BHLM, MKW offroad M88 black 18" wheels.. for now..
    I will definitely call before I order. I probably wont need the extra 1/2" seeing as your ride looks pretty level and I definitely don't want the bro lean going..

I have a 4x4 with the "upgrade" tires/wheels package. I currently have my little bro working up a pair of TRD O/R wheels (paining them) and when my current tires are worn, I'll pick up a new pair of beefier tires. From my understanding the UCA's are for alignment issues. I hate to have problems with alignment after I dumped a bunch of cash into this thing cause the mrs. would kill me. I mean, she already gave me the OK, so I figure I might as well do it, an extra measure of protection I guess..

:eek: Definitely something to consider...

5. Apr 7, 2012 at 10:18 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    My truck actually has 1 1/2" of rake

6. Apr 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    Limo Tint all the way around, tailgate theft mod, Console Vault, EGR vent visors, debadged emblems, TRD door emblems, Sockmonkey TOYOTA tailgate sticker, OME 3" lift w/aal, BAMF sliders, BHLM, MKW offroad M88 black 18" wheels.. for now..
    ya mean, the front is a little lower? higher? I haven't got a clear explanation of what these terms are... I mean, I know some but not all of them.. is rake the opposite of the bro-lean? and if you do have a 1.5" rake, why wouldn't you wanna level it out? do you carry a lot of stuff? I like a level look personally.. and HATE the bro-lean... (I'm not far from the 909/951 aka:bro-ville, bro-town, bro-country)

7. Apr 7, 2012 at 4:51 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    OZ's truck sits up 1 1/2" higher in the back. The dakar springs are the same ones that are used for the 3" OME lift. Since he only has the front lifted 2 1/2" up front the front sits lower.

8. Apr 7, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I don't get the obsession with " level "

9. Apr 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    mainewoodsballer

mainewoodsballer YESSAHBUD...heyut

Member:
    First Name:
    Ol' Waltah
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB TRD Sport (Pyrite Mica)
    Check out my Build to See!
    Right but on a limited budget....it works.. and he can get new coils later on. Or does he need new UCAs too?

10. Apr 7, 2012 at 8:03 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    My first lift: Bilstein 5100's front and rear. front set at 2.5. wheeler's single AAL in rear. I forget what I paid but its gotta be way less than $1000.

[​IMG]

My current lift: Fox 2.5 remote resi front and rear, Desert Products UCA's, All Pro Expo leaf packs, SS extended brake lines, timbren bump stops. Well over $3000

[​IMG]

If you want a lift just to make the truck taller, get something simple. IF you are going to start wheeling and adding armor (which it doesn't sound like you are) then get something good.

And also.. definitely don't pay someone to install it. Suspension is one of the easiest things you can do to a vehicle. Just unbolt the old and bolt up the new.

unsubbed.

11. Apr 7, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Unless you are compressing the coil springs your self... I had a garage swap springs only my Tacoma but did it myself on the 4Runner. My shoulder have never ached so bad in my life

12. Apr 8, 2012 at 4:36 AM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the clarification;)

but it just sounds cool! or at least cooler than a bro-lean:p

I pretty much need UCA's if I don't want my wife to kill me for spending $$$ and still having problems like wandering or tire issues.

Dude.. nice ride... Thanks for the helpful info!

I think I'll probably have them put together somewhere, unless they come from wheeler's offroad assembled.. I don't think so though cause on the bottom of their it says they offer an assembly service for $200:eek: I can't imagine it would cost that at a local shop.. right:(

13. Apr 8, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    No, they don't come assembled from Wheelers unless you pay them to. Gotta figure they come with the top plates so that costs some. I just went to Sears and bought a spring compressor to do mine on the 4Runner. The shop I took my 880 coils and 5100's (pre bullbar and winch) on my Taco did them for free, I only had to hand out some business cards for the owner (small shop, owned a Taco and former Air Force). When I went OME I bought them preassembled from Wheelers.

14. Apr 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    Irish020

Irish020 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Longbed
    ARE Hard Tonneau Cover Flowmaster American Thunder Super 50 Series Stainless Dual Exhaust Toytec Ultimate 3" w/ UCA's
    I can drive my truck at 90 mph with no shake, wandering, or vibrations with the set up I have. I have the AAL in the back not the Dakars...As the Coilover Billies come set at about 2.5" along with the AAL, I am sitting almost perfectly level. I could crank up the front another half inch for clearance but am going with skids and sliders. I like the driveability of this set up. You will not be disappointed in the drive with this set up! I drove blues and purples at Rausch Creek without sliders a few weeks ago...now I have 285/75/16's on 16x8's that gets me up a little higher....you'll also want the UCA's and the stabilizer bar relocator. Yes it is tough, and with the package I have and Flowmaster Dual Stainless exhaust I get a few people spinning their heads at it.....

15. Apr 9, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    Irish020

Irish020 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Longbed
    ARE Hard Tonneau Cover Flowmaster American Thunder Super 50 Series Stainless Dual Exhaust Toytec Ultimate 3" w/ UCA's

You may regret not going bigger on tires......

16. May 2, 2012 at 10:00 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    So it's been exactly a month since I began this thread and after much thought and overtime, I finally pulled the trigger on this:

Fat Bob's:
    Order Details:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quantity: 1
    Item: Light Racing Upper Control Arms Toyota Tacoma 05+

Unit Price: $379.99
    Total Price: $379.99
    subtotal: $379.99
    shipping: $14.15
    total: $394.14

Toytec:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Item: OME Suspension lift kit
    Front coil options: Med_885_coils
    Top plate spacers: Add top plate spacers (+ $59.00)
    Rear Options: ToyTec_add-a-leafs_for_TSB_
    springsFront Diff drop kit: 4X4
    Assemble front shocks/coils with new bushings: Yes (+
    $100.00)

Unit price: $893.99
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Item:
    Driveshaft Carrier Bearing Drop Kit (05 & UP Tacoma)

Unit price: $11.99
    Subtotal: $905.98
    TW discount: -$45.30
    S & H: $68.57
    Tax: $0.00
    Total: $929.25

Parts grant total for entire lift: $1,323.39 :eek:

I intend on keeping stock rims/tires until I need new tires, then I have a set of flat black TRD O/R rims that I wanna wrap good tires on, then call it good for a while.

Now to get this thing installed... :confused: I remember Hiatt1991 and Manwithoutaplan offered to help out.. but I still need to PM them and maybe we can get this bad-boy installed!!

Thanks again for all your input guys! So freakin excited!

17. May 2, 2012 at 10:01 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
  18. May 2, 2012 at 10:10 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks again man.. :cheers:

19. May 3, 2012 at 3:41 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    holy shit thats a lot of money for what you're getting. I guess at least you'll have new uca's too.

Diff drop kit is unnecessary and I've never seen anyone use a carrier bearing drop kit either

20. May 3, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I have the CB drop installed as do lots of guys that use the OME kit

Products Discussed in

To Top