1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BUYER BEWARE: 2nd & 3rd Gen Tacoma In-Cab 120vAC 400W Anytime Power Outlet

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by KTJO 4x4, Aug 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 23, 2020 at 8:14 PM
    fatboyfirebass

fatboyfirebass Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blk TRD OR DCSB MT6 Prem/Tech Pkgs
    OV Tuned, S&B Intake, MBRP Dual black Cat-back, accumulator delete, URD SS, 2LM, SSO Hybrid bumper/Warn 10kSynthetic, Custom Car Grille, MESO Ultimate Turn Signal in KTJO Power Folding Mirrors, Genesis Dual Battery, BHLM with LED upgrade, Fog delete, Geko Bed & Underhood lighting, Rear camera anytime, Nav Block Override, 400W anytime w/ interior outlets, USB charging stations, DE-badged, TVD blackout kit, HiLux interior door handles, Hybrid SS/Delrin Shift Knob, Cali-Raised bed Stiffeners, Ultimate Tailgate Seal, "El Dorado" Dual-quad horns, Diamondback HD cover, Mobtown engine/trans skid plates, RCI control arm skids, JLT oil catch can, Meso overhead Hex rack.
    I see you have a sport. I am not familiar with everything offered in the sport. Do you have a power outlet in the console? If so, you can power the USB from there. The picture I posted shows which wires to use, (from the outlet yellow is positive and white is negative). Otherwise, your best bet is to snake some wires up through the shifter console, then up behind climate control and tap into that power outlet.

2. May 23, 2020 at 8:37 PM
    crossrifles

crossrifles Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD 4X4
    I went back and looked at your post and tapped into the USB’s in the center console. Man those wires are thin! I may have to splice into them cause the wire taps are a little sketchy.

3. May 23, 2020 at 10:34 PM
    fatboyfirebass

fatboyfirebass Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blk TRD OR DCSB MT6 Prem/Tech Pkgs
    OV Tuned, S&B Intake, MBRP Dual black Cat-back, accumulator delete, URD SS, 2LM, SSO Hybrid bumper/Warn 10kSynthetic, Custom Car Grille, MESO Ultimate Turn Signal in KTJO Power Folding Mirrors, Genesis Dual Battery, BHLM with LED upgrade, Fog delete, Geko Bed & Underhood lighting, Rear camera anytime, Nav Block Override, 400W anytime w/ interior outlets, USB charging stations, DE-badged, TVD blackout kit, HiLux interior door handles, Hybrid SS/Delrin Shift Knob, Cali-Raised bed Stiffeners, Ultimate Tailgate Seal, "El Dorado" Dual-quad horns, Diamondback HD cover, Mobtown engine/trans skid plates, RCI control arm skids, JLT oil catch can, Meso overhead Hex rack.
    Yes, they are pretty thin. Normally I would opt for a Posi tap connector. But I just thought they were too thin for that. They probably would have been fine, but for some reason, the old school crimp connector seemed the better choice to me at the time.
    I cut the wires connecting to the power outlet and twisted them together with the corresponding USB charger wires, and then used the smallest in-line crimp connector I could find to re-connect the main wires. After crimping, I double/triple checked the connections were tight and wouldn't pull free. Then, I turned the truck on to make sure I had power to the USB charging port, before I even put the heat shrink over the connections. Then I checked for power after the heat shrink was in place. I wanted to be sure all was in order, before I put the console back together in the truck.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    crossrifles[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. May 24, 2020 at 8:59 PM
    crossrifles

crossrifles Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD 4X4
    @fatboyfirebass - appreciate you responding and helping. Thank you!

IMG_0864.jpg 7FC53787-3958-48D1-B148-EDE1A71CAB94.jpg

5. May 28, 2020 at 7:43 AM
    Gocamping23

Gocamping23 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma Off Road
    Road Active Suspension Tru Cool ATF upgrade
    So very clean. Excellent work. Adding to watch list and personal wish list.

6. Jun 7, 2020 at 7:01 AM
    badcrazy

badcrazy Active Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2018 Grey Tacoma TRD Sport
    Hello KTJO 4x4:

Ordered one of the PLUG-N-PLAY IN-CAB AC 120V 400W POWER OUTLET HARNESS units on 29 May. As of today, no notification of shipping.

Not complaining, just wanting to confirm my order was received, and to understand if there are currently delays in order processing (trying to plan my week).

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top