1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying a 2nd Gen - Need Some Help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by iJDub, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Mar 28, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    iJDub

iJDub [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Is there anything I should look out for if I get a 2005? I know it's the first year of that generation and usually the 1st year has bugs to work out.

Also, is there a place to find salvaged Tacomas that have NOT been fixed yet? I want to build one up so I don't want to trash a perfectly good one - problem is most of the ones for sale have already been fixed. I'd rather get it for cheaper pre-fixing. Thanks.

2. Mar 28, 2011 at 2:06 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    I would start with some insurance companies. they usually know where the bones are buried.

3. Mar 28, 2011 at 5:05 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    I personally wouldn't shy away from a 2005. I think the only '05 specific problems were with some very early ones where there were some problems with motor mount welds (no idea if mine's in this group, but no problems so far). Other than that, you'll likely find any other problems that existed with the '05 continued on into future years and the newer ones even had more problems in cases like the radios. Do a search on the motor mount and then you'll know what to look for in a visual inspection before buying. Otherwise, there's literally no reason not to buy it compared to an '06, '07, etc. Toyota doesn't seem to fix the problems that occur on vehicles anymore. Instead, they issue Technical Service Bulletins to the dealerships on how to fix the problems when customers complain. They're in a "reactive" mode rather than a "preventative" mode these days.

4. Mar 28, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    My second Taco was a new '05... Here are the three problems I had with it:

1) If a Double Cab or Access Cab, it will need the TSB done, or do what I did and add Ride Rites and 5100s to the back to stop the bottoming out 'rough ride' problem.
    2) Wire Harness failure causing the air bag light to come on... needed to replace $$$.
    3) My ABS brakes never did well... thought I would crash on wet roads or dirt roads trying to stop. My '01 and my '10 don't have that problem (the dealer said was normal).

5. Mar 28, 2011 at 10:26 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Ya the main issue with the 05's from what I read is what was mentioned. For all of 05 model year and a bit of 06 model year, the motor mount areas of the frame are not gusseted/reinforced.

Due to this some have torn their frame etc while offroading with 05's.

Other than that its almost identical right up to I think 08ish. Only very minor changes.

6. Mar 29, 2011 at 3:22 PM
    iJDub

iJDub [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for the info.

Products Discussed in

To Top