Buying a 4Runner...maybe (a little help needed)

Discussion in '4Runners' started by jaction, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Nov 4, 2018 at 3:36 PM
    jaction

jaction [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad 4x4
    3" lift, bilstein shocks, old school traditional flavor
    New to the forum but I've owned a 2001 Tacoma excab TRD Off-Road now for about 8 years. It's been the best vehicle I've ever owned, maybe except for my 91 volvo 240 that I owned in college.. I loved that car.

Anyways I now have a 4 year old that keeps growing and I need something a little safer with airbags. Originally was thinking about getting a 2019 tacoma trd off road (39k) but after the test drive I was left pretty unimpressed. The shifting was lagging big time due to the new safety stuff/3.4L I assume, and overall it didn't have the feel that my 2001 Tacoma has. I then tried a 19 TRD 4runner offroad package, wow it was great. I wasn't that impressed with the inside, as the console hasn't been updated at all, but the power was there with the 4L and it felt great on forest service roads. The 4runner I test drove doesn't come with the bilstein shocks like the Tacoma but that didn't seem to make much a difference on the forest roads. These options might be a little out of my price range though, both are going for about 39k with the trd blacked out rims... might be able to get a little lower than that but probably not much. The dealer also offers free oil changes for life/powertrain life-time at dealer/car washes. I've heard this is bull? as nothing is free. Not sure if doing mods myself would affect the powertrain and ultimately I don't see myself living in this area for the rest of my life or using this dealer for all my fixes.

For the past couple days I've been thinking maybe a used 4runner SR5 instead, could only find one used trd offroad 4runner...and lots of 3rd gen tacomas, guessing there might be a reason for that. I've been finding a few sr5's in the high 20's/low 30's and that would give me a little money to play with. All I would really every probably do is put new suspension, maybe protection underneath, a little raise, and maybe a winch later if I needed it. I'm sure many on this forum have asked the same question. My main concern is not have the rear locking diff, and I'm not a fan of the turn knob4x4 control. I did see a couple used 2015's I think with the shifting knob. I don't do a whole lot of big rock climbing, mainly just offroad camping without too much crazy rock stuff here in NC. My Tacoma's lock diff has saved me once or twice though, but i'm not sure enough to justify needing it. I've seen a few folks say they've been fine in the sr5 with bigger tires, and that I can add a locking diff later. The newer stuff does come with the extra features like crawl, but ultimately I like being in control of my 4x4 so I don't think I would use this. I know I'm the only one that can decide but wanted to get thoughts from others that have had to make a similar decision. If you could do over would you say the 4runner sr5 with money to play or upgrade to the new offroad? I plan on having this vehicle for 20 years if it will last that long. My 2001 definitely has and probably will continue to go for a long time. My other thought was to keep my 01 Tacoma to build up and get a cheap rav4 or something. Don't know if my wife would let me do that though.

2. Nov 4, 2018 at 3:38 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
  3. Nov 4, 2018 at 3:38 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    I’d go with the SR5.

4. Nov 4, 2018 at 3:48 PM
    Jim=2015 TRD PRO

Jim=2015 TRD PRO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    I would look for a 2018. Not any big change going to a 2019. Volume dealers will have some on the lot. Probably get a new SR5 for around $33,000.

5. Nov 4, 2018 at 4:11 PM
    RhodeIsland4bang

RhodeIsland4bang Back seats are for freeloaders!

Member:
    Rhode Island, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB SR5 6MT
    Count of one four legged freeloader
    None of these vehicles are perfect for you, the 2nd gen can be had with the 4.0, bilstein shocks, and locking diff for less than a newer taco or runner, but the interior will disappoint. Personally I wouldn’t buy new for dealership specific service if you might live elsewhere so discount that.

All of your options hold their value so they’re all a great choice and can be easily upgraded.

For me fun factor, piece of mind, capability, and affordability are important. I think you maximize those but still get what you need for the growing family with a second gen off-road plus you retain the truck bed vs an suv which is helpful for household chores.

6. Nov 4, 2018 at 5:27 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    I bought my 2018 4Runner Off Road Premium in late September. The only options I wanted on it is the KDSS and sliding rear deck. I didn't think too much about the 5th gen 4Runner since I had a buddy with a 2012 SR5 and thought it was meh... but when I drove a 4Runner with KDSS, that pretty much sealed the deal in getting one now. It's night and day difference compared to a non-KDSS.

Sounds like a SR5 4Runner is best for you since you don't want to take advantage of a few things the Off Road has the SR5 doesn't have: locking rear diff, manual transfer case shifter, CRAWL control, multi-terrain control, wider stock rims: 7.5" compared to the SR5: 7" and of course KDSS. That's just a few things off my head. I understand cost is a issue so there's nothing wrong with a SR5 but for about $2k more you can have a Off Road. Just my .02

BTW I kept my 2013 Tacoma for work and the 4Runner is for weekend fun ;)

elnip likes this.
  7. Nov 5, 2018 at 6:57 AM
    Roody

Roody Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    GX460
    You'd probably be more than fine with the SR5, but if you can swing the upcharge for the TRD OR if you're keeping it for ~20 years I don't think you'll regret it

Products Discussed in

To Top