1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying a dog versus adopting a dog.

Discussion in 'Pets' started by aficianado, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Aug 7, 2017 at 9:55 AM
    aficianado

aficianado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i admit. i get jealous at some of the kickass designer dogs out there..there is a golden-doodle in my neighborhood i want to dog-nap. it is so well behaved, we mannered, super confident. not to mention, doenst shed.

it's kinda like buying a new truck. you get to pick the options, color..etc.

adopting has it's rewards. cheaper for one. an adopted dog can be awesome. you're doing a great deed, etc. BUT it's a wild card. not all dogs are surrendered because someone passed away, or they lost their home. some of given up because they are insane.

personally, i am 50/50 on my adoption successes. i once ended up with a shepherd mix that hated kids. i think she was tortured by kids or something..then my next door neighbor opened a day care!! my dog pulled a Cujo move and trapped a mom in her car. he purse was outside (w key, and phone) and my dog chased her inside her car with her kid..i am not joking. my neighbor saved me a lawsuit and got her and put her inside his home. she dove out a plate glass window to get out. total failure. my last adoption, i still tear up when i think about him..and he BIT ME FIVE TIMES!! but we came to an agreement, and we became BFFs..once he got used to our routine and developed some confidence. he was bounced from home to home..i get it. it sucked.

wife and i just adopted a dog. one-week in. so far, so good. no pee/poop in house yet. but not without problem. he is pink skinned and will need sunscreen outdoors. yup..and googles. yes, googles to prevent melanoma in his pink eyelids. haha.. he is still scared of me,but loves my wife. i think his last
    (abusive?) owner was a man. good times!!

i keep telling myself..my next dog will be a golden-doodle. :) next time.

2. Aug 10, 2017 at 12:13 PM
    Yo_Hec

Yo_Hec Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hector
    Fort Myers
    Vehicle:
    17 TRDPRO , 05 Honda Element
    Peddle commander and various molle racks.
    I have a purchased jack russel and a rescued pit and now bully/boxer. I think ill go for a rescue from now on. I love all 3 but rescue is a good thing. My current one has been with me for 2 months. she was left outside as teh bigger dogs were left inside. SHe was misstreated when they found out she was not pure. She had cigarette burn marks on her head. TOday shes a happy camper, jumps on me when im on the couch thinking she weights only 10 bs vs 50.

3. Aug 10, 2017 at 12:15 PM
    Silverspool

Silverspool Come at me Bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    18T4RORP 16MX5Turbskie 17GT350
    Anyone seen my wallet?
    Im voting for adopt/rescue. Im biased since i used to rescue and foster.

4. Aug 10, 2017 at 12:18 PM
    Yo_Hec

Yo_Hec Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hector
    Fort Myers
    Vehicle:
    My girlfriend ran Citie Pitties in NYC. I hate seeing dogs loose in the street when shes with me. i try to distract her or else shell have me stop

hoverlover, Spare Parts and tcBob like this.
  5. Aug 10, 2017 at 12:24 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Got my American Bulldog at a rescue. He's been the best dog. Walks well on a leash. Loves everyone thinks he's a 5 lb lap dog despite being 80 lbs. just had his 2nd birthday not long ago. He was tied outside when they rescued him and his neck was cut open from being tied. They had to suture him up. We also have 2 chihuahuas and they can do anything they want to him. He will lay down and let them crawl all over him and tug on his ears and just licks them. He'll even let them share his food bowl. He will let you know right quick when someone that doesn't belong comes around though. He's never had an accident in the house and will let you know or wake you up if he needs to go out. Great dog. Wouldn't hesitate at all to get another rescue. Just depends really if you have the time to work with them. They benefit a lot from their owners treating them right and teaching them.

IMG_3663.jpg

6. Aug 10, 2017 at 12:24 PM
    Winker

Winker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2019 Subaru WRX
    Pictures? He seems cool as heck!! Gotta see the goggles.

hoverlover likes this.
  7. Aug 10, 2017 at 12:29 PM
    Yo_Hec

Yo_Hec Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hector
    Fort Myers
    Vehicle:
  8. Aug 11, 2017 at 12:54 PM
    mbarbay

mbarbay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma BBP DCSB LTD 4X4
    This is Jack, my Schnoodle. He is both a designer breed and a rescue. The story is that he was found on the side of the road with another dog, thought to be of the same litter; also that the foster had 2 german shepards that would pester him.

As far as his manners go, he is almost the perfect dog. He is not scared of rain, thunder, fireworks, anything. He is hypoallergenic does not shed, and He loves pretty much anyone older than 12.He is very smart and listens all the time. He really is like the best dog, except for the bad....

the bad: he doesn't like most kids, nor most dogs larger than him. For dogs, she shows his teeth for a couple seconds then "attacks." I can usually predict it now and avoid the situations or hold back until he proves otherwise. As far as the kids go, idk what it is, I think it is more of him being nervous and attacking, because it seems to only happen around kids with energy. when they are calm, he is calm, the second they start jumping though....And last but not least, He is an allergy dog, so $$$$$$$$$$.

All things considered, I would still do it all again, because his temperament is just fantastic.

IMAG1785.jpg

Spare Parts and Winker like this.
  9. Aug 11, 2017 at 1:08 PM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    Great thread! And I totally feel the OP. I've had adopted dogs my whole life, as a kid we always had a dog because of someone moving away, or a random street dog following me home etc. The worst I ever had was a random follow me home one haha, and even at that he was just better off on a farm, his wondering instinct was way too strong and he was always trying to escape to go wondering around- lots of pound fees. The best dog I ever had had just one issue, she hated kids- she started out as my sister's dog but as my sister started to have kids she became my dog.

Now that I have my own place, one of the first things I did as a home owner was go to the pound, and I guess its really rare to have puppies there (they get adopted so fast), so for the first time ever in my life I had a dog since it was a pup (because adopting dogs, you usually always get a few years + old), so its been an experience. She is a good dog, but I feel you OP, every time I see a golden retriever or a great dane, I want one, but the good feelz hits strong knowing I'm taking a dog from the pound (one of our adopted dogs was a golden, amazing dog). A better person would have passed over the puppies and gone for one of the older dogs that was likely to not get a home. Personally I like the ones that are guarded and act like they will snap at me, I feel the worst for them as they likely had a horrible life and they have a wisdom- once you win them over they are the best- they will always have some issues but I don't have kids so that wouldn't be one of them- I've had a lot of adopted dogs haha.

Spare Parts and AeroCooper like this.
  10. Aug 11, 2017 at 1:50 PM
    Skrain

Skrain Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Member:
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    2009 F.J. Cruiser
    Westin 9 LED Driving Lights.
    Mine weren't really rescues, but a neighbor's dog had a litter of 8, and I ended up with 2. Part Jack Russel, Part Aussie Shepherd. Friendly, goofy, love pretty much everyone except for some other dogs. Some they get along with just fine, others not so much...

IMG_3023.jpg

Spare Parts, JJ TACO and Winker like this.
  11. Aug 11, 2017 at 2:08 PM
    303tacoma

303tacoma Bad Karma is a Bitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Sw Denver Concrete Jungle
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD AC 4th gen Rav4 Platinum
    ICONS Front & extended Rears DAKARS LR UCAS Wheelers Super Bumps F/R Homersoshi & Bumper insert, Ultra Gauge, Wet Okole seat covers, AFE air filter, Truxedo tonneau cover, LED White Cluster swap by yosh2000, Audio upgrade, ECGS Bushing, rcbs204 Lighted 4x4switch, Bullaculla trailer harness relocate bracket SOS Concepts IFS skid & sliders Anti- Dark RedLine Hood Struts Matt Gecko Bed Lights BHLM Depo Tailights Fog light anytime mod ABS cancel mod Rear diff breather mod Brake light 35watt mod Relentless u bolt flip Mobtown Recovery Bar Sound deadener doors rear wall
    My rescue Tushea was a smelly dog and a little close to the senior side at 8
    I thought she was so cute..
    A few people adopted her and brought her back...This dog is smart and loves kids... She shakes her collar in the middle of the night if she needs to go out
    She's not smelly anymore she just needs a grooming once a month and she does shed like crazy..All in all a great dog
    I've had her for 4 yrs now and she loves camping IMG_1351.jpg IMG_1749.jpg

12. Aug 11, 2017 at 2:11 PM
    Adventurous

Adventurous Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 DCLB SR5
    We have 3 dogs at the moment, 2 were intentional acquisitions the other was a surprise. They all have their own unique personalities and quirks, but all are, for the most part, well behaved. They are not without their issues of course, one was picked up as a stray and we got him at 6 months, so he was used to living on his own and can still be the most absurdly headstrong dog I have run across. One of our others doesn't like men in hats, but then again when we adopted her she was recovering from a stab wound to the abdomen so I suppose she's entitled to some apprehension. #3, the Yorkie, we found deep in the woods at 10 pm on a cold night with a double broken pelvis. She still gets nervous around strangers and men but has certainly come along way with her confidence since we first got her.

I can't imagine buying a dog. There are just too many out there in need of a good home for me to consider going the breeder route. Some breeds definitely "speak" to me more than others but there are, without fail, an overabundance of good doggies out there that just need a chance.

[​IMG]IMG_1899 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

[​IMG]20150822-DSC_0708 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

[​IMG]20160714-IMG_3655 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

13. Aug 11, 2017 at 2:16 PM
    303tacoma

303tacoma Bad Karma is a Bitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Sw Denver Concrete Jungle
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD AC 4th gen Rav4 Platinum
    ICONS Front & extended Rears DAKARS LR UCAS Wheelers Super Bumps F/R Homersoshi & Bumper insert, Ultra Gauge, Wet Okole seat covers, AFE air filter, Truxedo tonneau cover, LED White Cluster swap by yosh2000, Audio upgrade, ECGS Bushing, rcbs204 Lighted 4x4switch, Bullaculla trailer harness relocate bracket SOS Concepts IFS skid & sliders Anti- Dark RedLine Hood Struts Matt Gecko Bed Lights BHLM Depo Tailights Fog light anytime mod ABS cancel mod Rear diff breather mod Brake light 35watt mod Relentless u bolt flip Mobtown Recovery Bar Sound deadener doors rear wall
    I agree with this statement 100%

hoverlover, Lord Helmet and Beer:30 like this.
  14. Aug 11, 2017 at 2:17 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    Save lives.

Adopt.

15. Aug 11, 2017 at 2:19 PM
    ajmogen

ajmogen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    OR MT TACO T4R YARIS MT Corolla Hatchback MT
    I like dogs. Adopted 2 bought 1. The two that I adopted were more neurotic than my bought dog, however my first 2 were heelers. My golden is absolutely perfect. I do think a lot of bonding happens @8-16 weeks. But there are a lot of perfect rescue puppers available.

I love my golden

20170421_224935.jpg

hoverlover and Spare Parts like this.
  16. Aug 11, 2017 at 2:20 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    I'm all for adopting but for me personally I will go to a reputable breeder.

I used to work with dogs for a living and golden doodles were the worst dogs I've ever worked with.

17. Aug 11, 2017 at 2:21 PM
    Winker

Winker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2019 Subaru WRX
    A friend of mine convinced me to adopt another dog last night. His owners had to let him go because they are adopting a child and there isn't enough space for him there. I had no idea what I signed up for when I met the dog. He is over 100lbs and full of energy. My current pup is 40lbs plus and full of energy. To my surprise they have mellowed themselves out and are currently laying side by side.20170811_150223.jpg 20170810_200306.jpg

18. Aug 11, 2017 at 2:22 PM
    PinnaclePete

PinnaclePete I am what I am

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Central AR
    Vehicle:
    '14 Sport DCLB Pyrite, 2015 DCSB Barcelona Limited
    SwitchPros 9100, Flip Pac, Stealth 6 Bronze, Toyo 255/80/17, MTO Tailgate Skin, RCI read diff plate, StopTech slotted disc and pads, OME 885 w/ NitroChargers, OME HD LeafPacks, SOS Rear bumper with swingout, BAMF Bolt-on Sliders, Rear diff breather, OEM roof racks, ECG perforated grill, BAMF behind grill light bar bracket with PIAA 510 4" yellow spots, US OffRoad bumper, Engo 9k winch, WeatherTech window vents and floor mats, Wet Okle seat covers, RedLine hood struts, Anti Dark hood lights, Baja amber light pods, Lamin-X amber flood covers, amber FlyEyes, Jumpers amber LEDs, Salix glovebox and center console organizer, MagLite mounted, shop made bed mount tool boxes, LogRite bed mount bottle opener
    Adopt or rescue...too many great dogs out there, don't feed the puppy mills o_O

Pictures won't upload...Chessie, Patches, Cupid, Tilly and now Belle have all been great, loving, well mannered family members.

19. Aug 11, 2017 at 2:24 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    I agree do NOT support puppy miles but there are tons of great breeders out there who are responsible

20. Aug 11, 2017 at 2:26 PM
    PinnaclePete

PinnaclePete I am what I am

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Central AR
    Vehicle:
    '14 Sport DCLB Pyrite, 2015 DCSB Barcelona Limited
    SwitchPros 9100, Flip Pac, Stealth 6 Bronze, Toyo 255/80/17, MTO Tailgate Skin, RCI read diff plate, StopTech slotted disc and pads, OME 885 w/ NitroChargers, OME HD LeafPacks, SOS Rear bumper with swingout, BAMF Bolt-on Sliders, Rear diff breather, OEM roof racks, ECG perforated grill, BAMF behind grill light bar bracket with PIAA 510 4" yellow spots, US OffRoad bumper, Engo 9k winch, WeatherTech window vents and floor mats, Wet Okle seat covers, RedLine hood struts, Anti Dark hood lights, Baja amber light pods, Lamin-X amber flood covers, amber FlyEyes, Jumpers amber LEDs, Salix glovebox and center console organizer, MagLite mounted, shop made bed mount tool boxes, LogRite bed mount bottle opener
    Yup, that's why I didn't say Breeders...just the Greeders :thumbsup:

TTT likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top