1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

buying a new truck...dealership questions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by fireturk41, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Mar 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 [OP] I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    no im not getting another taco, but this is my first time buying a truck and i need a bit o guidence, I essentially built the truck, peice by peice and told 4 dealerships what i want and told them to gimme the best price, one was priced 10k above the rest and then tried to put me in a different truck, soo i dropped them...the local dealer didnt even gimme a price they straight up told me the raleigh dealers price was impossible to beat, another told me the same and that its impossible that they gave me that price cause all the dealers get the trucks at the same price. all prices included tax tags title and doc fee

is there anything i should be wary of from this "unbeatable' dealer?

ive had my truck worked on there and its really fancy, and all of their trucks were in general low priced

2. Mar 23, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    All things being equal, I would go with the lower priced truck.

I'm guessing it's a new truck? If so, there is nothing to prevent you from taking it to another dealership for service. Additonally, watch the F&I group. Lots of money (I would guess, often more than on just the sale of the truck) is made in this group.

Otherwise, it's really hard to tell not being there....

Good luck!

3. Mar 23, 2012 at 7:55 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I've never bought a brand new vehicle, but it seems to be about volume. The big dealers are going to be able to sell at a lower margin since they move more inventory every month.

My boss has bought our last three service trucks from a dealer that is four hours away. The local dealer keeps coming in $1500-2000 bucks above the big city dealer.

Try to have your credit approved and get it to the point where all you have to do is show up and sign the paperwork. My boss told me he's never in the dealership for more than a half an hour. He gets the salesman to write it all up, finance it, etc, THEN he drives down there. This only works for him because he's already done the test drives and knows exactly what he needs/wants. Try to do the test drive locally so you don't show up and find out you don't want the truck after all.

Products Discussed in

To Top