1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying lens not whole headlight housing?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by WillT11, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Sep 24, 2018 at 4:36 PM
    WillT11

WillT11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Question,

Is it possible to only buy the lens for stock headlights? The housing on my brothers 08 tacoma is fine, but the lenses look like glowing butter at this point. After reading how some people retrofit and reseal lenses/housings, we were thinking maybe we could just get lenses, remove the old ones, and reseal new lenses on?

Seemed like a better idea than going with poor quality aftermarket and reduced light output or scatter.

2. Sep 25, 2018 at 6:46 AM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    You may have to buy new headlights just for the lens. Otherwise try a lens restore kit and see if you can clean them up. Then give em a clear UV protection coat.

3. Sep 25, 2018 at 8:27 AM
    Taylor@KC HiLiTES

Taylor@KC HiLiTES Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    See build thread
    I used a Mother's brand lens restorer kit (which uses a drill) and it worked great, and the results lasted for over a year until I was ready to retrofit my headlights anyway.

What you could do is pick up a pair of Depo or other off brand headlights, oull the clear lenses off of those, and reseal the new lenses to the Toyota headlight housing with factory components inside. This is what I did with my retrofits, after a lot of modification though. The offbrand lenses have held up great for over two years now with no sign of fading in this high intensity Arizona sun.

chrslefty and SportsmanJake like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top