1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying New Taco out of State?

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by MotorsportsAustin, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Feb 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    Has anyone bought a new Taco (or any new car / truck) from Oregon, NV, or elsewhere then brought it into CA?

How did it work?
    Was it more trouble than it was worth?

And yes, it's a 50 state model.

thanks!

2. Feb 10, 2012 at 8:20 PM
    stlstrs

stlstrs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    03 SAS DC
    Diamond SAS, AOR Front Bumper, AP Rear Bumper, BAMF Sliders, Inchworm Dual Cases
    I bought a 4runner in Oregon last summer. It was worth the hassle, mostly because the price was better than what I could get locally, and they could get features that the California dealers could not get. You will have to smog it before you register it. The biggest thing is the registration. Make sure that they can help you with the DMV paper work. Ask them if they can do the paperwork, with out you having to go to the DMV. Overall, well worth it.

3. Feb 11, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    Thanks! Sounds like the dealer will do the paperwork, or most of it anyway. I read on dmv.ca.gov that I'll have to put 7500miles on the odo before it being a CA registered vehicle, did you experience that?

4. Feb 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    stlstrs

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    03 SAS DC
    Diamond SAS, AOR Front Bumper, AP Rear Bumper, BAMF Sliders, Inchworm Dual Cases
    I did the registration right after I got it to California. They didn't say anything about the mileage.

The dealer originally told me that they would mail the registration paperwork to my local DMV, with the check for California sales tax (they will collect an estimate of the tax and license fees that California requires). Long story short, I called my local office about a week later and they said they didn't have my paperwork and that they would have sent it back to the dealer anyway. Turns out the dealer never sent it. (misplaced it or took longer to process). Anyway the dealer ended up going thought a third party to do the registration, and I never had to do anything, they just mailed the plates and registration. Kinda like a California dealer would.

I can try to get ahold of the dealer I went to to see where they went to do the registration if you want. Might be a help to mention it to them.

I think I mentioned it before, but even thought its a 50 state truck for emissions, you still have to smog. Even if the dealer doesn't think so. I had to smog the 4runner with 800 miles. Which seems like a joke, but that's the way California is.

Let me know if you need anything else.

5. Feb 11, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    stlstrs

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    03 SAS DC
    One more thing.

You will have to take it to the DMV for a vehicle inspection. I guess there are certiain things they are looking for. I forgot about that part, my wife had that part done.

6. Feb 12, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    I really appreciate the info!!!

Did you buy it in Oregon by any chance?

Thanks!

7. Feb 13, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    stlstrs

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    03 SAS DC
    Yeah, I bought it in Oregon.

Glad to be able to help.

8. Feb 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    lonzorizo

lonzorizo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lonnie
    Hoopa, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD OR, 2016 TRD OR Tacoma
    Bought mine in oregon last march. Wasn't really any extra work to get it registered. Simple vehicle inspection, had to get it weighed, smogged yada yada. And paid way less than I could in Ca lol. Plus it's registered to my address on my Reservation, so no taxes :cool:

9. Feb 14, 2012 at 7:24 AM
    Kcdub_u

Kcdub_u Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Concord,ca
    I just bought my Tacoma in Colorado in December and once I got it here, I had to pay taxes and registration to DMV and have a quick vehicle inspection; but before I could do that I had to have it Smogged and weighed.

10. Feb 24, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    You guys totally helped me out, I made the decision and here's the update:

I purchased my Tacoma (new) from Oregon and so far so good.

The dealer collected the CA sales tax based on the county of my billing address, and temporary reg will be put on the windshield as normal (we Fedex'd papers to me, then I sent back with cashiers check, signatures, etc.) I financed 2/3'rds of it via Toyota Financial Services (TFS) so they'll be on the title until the loan is paid in full.

Note: I did cheat some and used an auto broker called Professional Sales and Leasing in Redwood City, CA. I got about the same deal as the dealer and I talked about. He also got me a rate from TFS better than the "special" advertised 2.9% on 60mo. I won't be going to the DMV for anything.

Thanks all for the advice and info!!! :cheers:

Other:
    1. Cost $450 to ship (open air car carrier) it from Portland, OR to Redwood City, CA (I really didn't want to spend 11 hours driving back)

2. Truck I got was unavailable in CA, NV, AZ, or ID, and would have taken at least another 5 weeks in addition to the 5 I'd been waiting (2012 DC, 4x4, manual trans, TRD, Pyrite Mica) and the OR dealer had one.

3. I'll post 1 more update with pics and with what the broker did for DMV process.

Products Discussed in

To Top