1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying Tires Online

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by rpoint16, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Aug 12, 2018 at 11:50 AM
    rpoint16

rpoint16 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off-Road, Super White.
    Bone Stock
    I have been going to Discount tire for 30 plus years, and always get competitive pricing & good service. I'm seeing more posts on online tire purchasing and great pricing.

I guess my question is are you paying to have them mounted, balanced & reinstalled? Are you saving that much money in doing so? I know Discount will rotate & fix your OEM tires for free, which is a reason I go there as well. Do they charge for aftermarket rotation & balancing purchased elsewhere? Just curious..

2. Aug 12, 2018 at 11:52 AM
    JoeCOVA

JoeCOVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    Ford F350, Lexus RX450h, FZJ80, Jeep YJ
    If I recall mounting and balancing and what not is like $25 a tire at some places. I cant remember.

I buy online mainly because there is more tire selection

3. Aug 12, 2018 at 11:56 AM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    I used to do discount tire as well but lately I've been using walmart with free shipping and pickup at the store. Prices are really competitive.
    As far as for mounting and balancing new tires, find a shop near you that's reputable and with good pricing. My local tire shop is awesome, open everyday, and prices can't be beat. Instead of having to drive 40 minutes away to patch a tire (nearest discount tire), I just go 5 min down the road and get it patched for 5 bucks

4. Aug 12, 2018 at 12:04 PM
    44mger

44mger Active Member

Member:
    I just bought tires for my 17 at TireBuyer.com and had them installed at my local Firestone. Saved about $125 on tires and installation. The process was so great, I bought a set for my daughter's 12 Rav4 and had them shipped to a Mr Tire near her. Saved about $110 for hers.

5. Aug 12, 2018 at 12:12 PM
    boynoyce

boynoyce .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16SR5AC4X4V6QS
    All types of retailers are loosing business to internet sales.

There is a small privately owned tire shop in my neighborhood.

The guys there know tires and make great recommendations.

The prices are competitive, include mounting, balancing, free lifetime flat repairs and free 5k tire rotation.

Big chains- not sure, but got to support the local guy that provides great service, imo.

shakerhood likes this.
  6. Aug 12, 2018 at 12:17 PM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    Also, don't forget that most businesses these days (especially discount tire) like to keep their customers and therefore do price matching. If you really want to stick with a certain company because of your loyalty and good experience you can always submit a lower price find and they will act accordingly by lowering their own.

Top is walmart, bottom is discount tire and its only 2 bucks or so difference ($8 saved total lol) but discount tire gives you the option underneath their price to submit a lower price that you found elsewhere. Do some research, find lower prices and if anything ask your preferred retailer if they are willing to price match your findings.

tires.jpg

7. Aug 12, 2018 at 12:24 PM
    S0ju

S0ju Well-Known Member

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    2018 mgm dclb sr5
    Always bought from tirerack and always used the same local tire shop.

8. Aug 12, 2018 at 7:17 PM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    The Syncro Ranch, Salida ColoRADo
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDOR DCLB FTMFWBBQ Silver Sky Met
    Bilstein 8112+650lb coils, 8100+Deaver Stage II leaf pack, SPC UCA, DuroBumps, Mobtown 0* sliders W/fill plates, Mobtown Recovery Bar, Radium PVC & CCV Dual Oil Separator Catch Can System, Snugtop Hiliner Sport, ATH bed Stiffeners (cuz bottle openers!) and front corner tie down, Badger plates for Firestone airbag + Relentless U-bolt flip + Daystar cradles, TRD Pro shift knob, TRD Exhaust, HPS Silicone intake tube, Green Filter, TRD Intake Air Accelerator, 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country ATIII on TRD 17"Rockwarrior Cold Forged wheels, TRD alloy front skid, RCI Aluminum transmission & transfer case skids. Much Meso awesomeness, FreshMexicanTaco TacoGarage Camera Controller + DDM, WarFab Sheridan hitch skid, Rago LCA steel skids + lower rear shock guards, ScanGauge II, FN Koning Countersteer 16" spare, OEM T4R 90105-14104 coilover lower mounting eye bolts
    I have always bought tires local. Last fall I wanted a set of Toyo Observe GSi winters which my local dealer said they could not get them due to being sold out. I found an authorized online seller in Pa for a screaming deal, and my shop was happy to mount them.

9. Aug 12, 2018 at 7:40 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy Sweet or sour?

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '19 T4R, TRDORP, KDSS
    RSG sliders, SOS skids, SOS bumper, wheels, tires, etc
    I have read that tire manufacturers sell lower grade tires to online sellers. Tires with imperfections or borderline out of spec. This could be a bunch of horse-shit though, as I read it on a forum.

I got my last three sets of tires, for different vehicles, at a local shop known for having the best price. After being disappointed the last two times, I've decided to never go back. I'll gladly spend another $100 to feel confident that my tires are installed properly, by people who actually give a shit.

I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes it might be worth spending a little extra for peace of mind. If you've been happy with the service and prices at your usual shop, it might be better to stick with it. You can always shop around and ask them to match a price.

Just my opinion.

10. Aug 13, 2018 at 12:19 PM
    kcalhoun27

kcalhoun27 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2015 ACLB TRD Sport
    None
    unless you want some special tire, buying online just makes more work for you. What is your time worth? Maybe you save $100 for the tire cost, but then you have to drag them over to a shop for mount and balance, and then they are going to charge you between 10-25 per tire for that. You might save a whopping $50 bucks for all your effort, but then compare that to Discount Tire (for instance), you just drop it off and pick it up, job done. Any issues, tell them and its fixed. Plus, as mentioned, most shops will try to work with you on price.

its your time and your money, but IMO time is worth way more

boynoyce and Thatbassguy like this.
  11. Aug 13, 2018 at 2:37 PM
    lalojamesliz

lalojamesliz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Vehicle:
    02 dbl cab V6 pre-runner trd
    Tundra brake upgrade (in progress)
    I would normally go to a "Big brand tire" near me and they would match tirerack prices after a good 20-30 minutes but the install was 22 a tire and then 100 for alignment.
    Now I buy at tirerack and the tires are at my doorstep the next morning and the small shop I go to does 10 per tire and 50 for the alignment.

The small shop doesn't have a nice waiting area like the other place but sometimes saving $100 is important when your already spending 6-700+ for some people like me with 4 cars

whatstcp likes this.
  12. Aug 14, 2018 at 5:56 AM
    sstock86

sstock86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Lakewood, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD off-road
    Tirebuyer.com

They will ship the tires to an installer that you choose from a list. No lugging tires from home to a shop.

13. Aug 14, 2018 at 9:25 AM
    JoeCOVA

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    What are you talking about. Online sellers ship to local shops. I do the exact same thing, order from Tirerack and they ship free to TireWorld and they mount and balance them...It's the same amount of time and money.

Many of us have to buy our tires online because they are not offered at normal tire stores.

I just had a set of new tires shipped freight and dropped off at my house, if I want I just drive them over to Tireworld and have them do them, takes 3 minutes to load them in the truck.

14. Aug 14, 2018 at 9:55 AM
    JoeCOVA

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    And speaking of online tires!!!
    Tires.jpg

Rat_Bastard likes this.
  15. Aug 14, 2018 at 12:26 PM
    Thegenerik1

Thegenerik1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR
    Discount tire direct online for the best price and then have discount tire shop local to me install/rotate/balance through the life of the tires.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018

Products Discussed in

To Top