1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cable TV alernatives

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by pudge151, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 11, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    pudge151

pudge151 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    im looking to ditch my cable and have been researching some alternatives with internet streaming and TV. I have seen AppleTV, googleTV, Roku, PS3.......

i am leaning towards the roku for now unless someone has bad things to say or really good things about something else.

my requirements are
    1-HD 1080p stream or at least 1080p playback
    2-ability to watch NHL games, i think NHL gamecenter subscr is needed but thats ok, and i hope you can play games from a day or 2 b4 you want to watch
    3-be able to watch new episodes of shows within a few days of the 1st showing on TV
    4-DVR or on-demand so i dont have to watch everything live, because im not always home when the shows are on.
    5-live sports

i think that i would need to get sub's to things like hulu, netflix, NHL...

2. Jul 11, 2011 at 2:21 PM
    pudge151

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    anyone?

3. Jul 12, 2011 at 9:15 AM
    NaYoung

NaYoung Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORDC
    I don't think your going to find all of your requirements however there are alternatives.

1. Netflix
    2. XBox Live has an ESPN widget which has quite a few live feeds and replays of just about all the "Primetime" games.
    3. AppleTV
    4. Hulu

Not exactly a match to your requirements but a start, maybe worth ditching cable depending on how much you pay and really "need".

4. Jul 12, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    The above with Windows Media Center which you probably already have. It's more work to watch everything off of your computer but if your willing you can save some money. America is lazy so that is why cable does so good.

5. Jul 12, 2011 at 9:36 AM
    cast71

cast71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC SR5 4X4 I4
    yellow wire mod, mud flap mod, differential breather mod, steering shaft tsb, rear leaf spring tsb
    I got a computer hooked up to a 52". I get netflix, hulu....... I hooked up a roku at my sisters house. Make sure you get the wireless n version. You get better connections, unless you are going to hardwire it. You can get netflix, hulu plus, and I'm pretty sure I saw NHL on there. You can also hook up a hdtv antenna and get your local stations and few extras. Netflix is 8 or 9 bucks. Not sure how much hulu plus is or NHL. I would ditch cable. There's mostly crap on there anyway ahahahaha

6. Jul 12, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Don't go wireless if you can. You would be better off with using powerline adapters than trying to stream HD content wirelessly.

My whole goal with building the new house was to make a dedicated server set up with multiple storage drives then run workstations with WMC at each TV in the house. I had a dedicated HTPC setup at the last house but I think it's feasible to go totally off cable but there is going to be a learning curve when it comes to my wife and daughter so I am going to have to make it as basic as possible.

I think the Roku units are fine and dandy but I think after time you won't be satisfied with their limitations.

7. Jul 12, 2011 at 5:14 PM
    NaYoung

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORDC
    Dude, I want to move into your new house, sounds like a sweet set up.

As far as the Roku units, I have to agree and based upon the OP's "Requirements" I think he'd be disappointed. My parents have one, it's cool but limited and really for basic needs and users.

8. Jul 12, 2011 at 6:21 PM
    pudge151

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    thanks guys,
    i would wire it to the router for sure.

any more ideas?

9. Jul 12, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    I don't pay for any cable. I have a Win 7 PC setup @ my TV. I use WMC to pick up local channels if I want to watch news or something. The TV shows my other half watch are all on basic cable too, so i can record them on the PC via WMC.

I currently use Netflix for movies, but i'm starting a 2 week trial with blockbuster by mail now because netflix just raised their prices.

Cable is definitely more convenient and easy, but I don't care cause I don't like paying for it.

10. Jul 12, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    NaYoung

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORDC
    Going back and checking them again for $99.99 it may not be a bad option to go with the Roku. the do have a NHL widget but I'm sure it requires a subscription.

http://www.roku.com/roku-products#2

Another idea might be Xbox live. There's quite a few nice features there beyond just gaming if you are looking to go cheap.

11. Jul 12, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I've got a Roku high def box connected on my wireless. I just watch the SD output but it streams just fine. I used it in HD for a little while and that worked just fine too. It's just easier for me to use it in SD since everything else I have except the TV is SD.

I usually just watch Netflix on it. I haven't gotten rid of my cable just yet but I don't watch it very much anymore. The selections on Netflix aren't always that great so I've considered subscribing to Hulu plus as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top