1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Calibrating speedo with larger tires? and settings in DashCommand...

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by TurboGT, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Apr 11, 2016 at 11:44 AM
    TurboGT

TurboGT [OP] Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    Just put a set of 265/70/R18's on the Taco... now I know the speedo is going to be off, but how to fix it?

I called a local Speedometer Service business, but they said since the Taco isn't controlled by a cable (to which he said they could fix if it were) and the speedo is controlled by the ECM or whatever other computers are, that the only way of fixing it was going to the dealership and having them "reprogram" for the new tire size. My buddy who works for Toyota as a service tech replied "dafuq is he talking about?" when I asked him about said reprogramming. Is this something that my buddy just hasn't run into in all his years working for Toyota (bearing in mind that he dad also works as a Toyota service tech, who also hadn't heard about anything like this), or is the Speedo service guy blowing smoke up my @$$?

Also, anyone have experience in modifying the vehicle advanced settings in DashCommand to make it's speedometer work correctly? I changed the "Tire size specification" but that didn't seem to work. The only other option that I can see is "Speed correction", which seems to only want a number... My initial thought is new tire circumference divided by old tire circumference equal speed correction factor? In my case, from the tire size calculator if I'm correct on this, would be 102.44/95.72=1.0702...

Any thoughts?

2. Apr 15, 2016 at 8:05 AM
    Jahawkbill

Jahawkbill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM DCSB TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 6112s/SPC LR UCAs/Bilstein 5160's/ICON 3 leaf Pack/FJ Trail Team 16x8's/Cooper ST MAXX 255/85/16
    This is something i was wondering about as well. I'm about to do my first upgrades to the truck and i want the speedo to continue to be accurate. Looking forward to seeing a solution to this.

Also, first post, gonna put a couple of pics up this weekend of my bone stock 2015 Magnetic Grey DCSB TRD Off Road.

3. Apr 20, 2016 at 7:50 PM
    Tacoma HEART

Tacoma HEART - - - - - - -

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    AA CO
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD S Black
    Yawn...

Products Discussed in

To Top