1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CaliRaised Cb antenna mount high swr

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Flannel_Lover, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Jul 5, 2019 at 5:52 AM
    Flannel_Lover

Flannel_Lover [OP] Your resident questionable advice giver

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Greenville, IN
    Vehicle:
    2011 sclb base 4x4
    Alpine component speakers Rockford Fosgate 10" sub Pioneer DEH-X6800BT Kicker CX 300W amp Extang Trifecta Big Country Brush Guard
    Hey all, i recently got my hands on a new CB setup. I'm using the caliraised antenna mount (driver side) and my antenna is a 4 ft wilson fiberglass. 18 foot of firestik brand coax to a cobra 25 LTD my issue is i cant get my SWR to tune down below about 3.4. Anyone running this mount experience issues with high swr? i have a feeling it could be related to the composite beds on our trucks. but the ground wire off the cable is connected to the metal by where the tail light mounts. any thoughts? I'm going to look at it again tonight after i get off of work

llamasmurf likes this.
  2. Jul 5, 2019 at 8:47 AM
    Breadbox

Breadbox Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport, MT, 4X4, SR5
    4" lift; ION and Camburg, custom progressive rear springs no overload; ION Bumps; Roadmaster Active suspension, quick disconnect sways front and rear, Nitro 4.10s, Detroit TrueTrac, ECGS bushing, Aluminess Rear bumper w/swing outs and flood lights, 285/70/17 on ProComp Steelies, Kenwood NAV, URD Short Shifter, CB, front rally bar with LED flows and fogs, RockSliders, FWC.
    Ground to the chassis or metal fenders larger surface area metal. I actually mounted to the front of the truck because I could not get good SWR in the back probably due to the composite bed. I even tried a no ground plane antenna setup for a while and gave up moving to the front of the truck with a hood channel mount and quick release antenna setup. I now have good SWR. More metal surface area in the front.

3. Jul 5, 2019 at 9:01 AM
    Flannel_Lover

Flannel_Lover [OP] Your resident questionable advice giver

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Greenville, IN
    Vehicle:
    2011 sclb base 4x4
    Alpine component speakers Rockford Fosgate 10" sub Pioneer DEH-X6800BT Kicker CX 300W amp Extang Trifecta Big Country Brush Guard
    I'm either going to try moving ground to the area behind the headlight or straight to frame. Read another thread from a guy that mounted an antenna to a tool box and ran into the same issue.

4. Jul 5, 2019 at 9:05 AM
    Breadbox

Breadbox Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport, MT, 4X4, SR5
    4" lift; ION and Camburg, custom progressive rear springs no overload; ION Bumps; Roadmaster Active suspension, quick disconnect sways front and rear, Nitro 4.10s, Detroit TrueTrac, ECGS bushing, Aluminess Rear bumper w/swing outs and flood lights, 285/70/17 on ProComp Steelies, Kenwood NAV, URD Short Shifter, CB, front rally bar with LED flows and fogs, RockSliders, FWC.
    Yeah the tool box in bed won't be a good ground either. See how the chassis ground works? I didn't try it as I decided to use the hood mount instead.

Products Discussed in

To Top