1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Calling all BHLM pros!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BG KY Jets Fan, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Feb 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    BG KY Jets Fan

BG KY Jets Fan [OP] Dagger Taco *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Bowling Green Ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 2WD DC
    Roof Rack, TRD skid plate, TRD cat back exhaust, Pioneer AVIC-930BT, subwoofers, Avid bar, Westin side steps, FLYZEYE strip, and Blacked out Badges. More to come....
    I just broke the seal and got my lights apart tonight! :) Now, I have a list of questions. First, should I sand off the chrome before painting? Second, should I use a high heat paint? I'm considering painting the whole reflector. When I pull the trigger on a Retro kit, I was thinking about painting the shroud white or a light color. I really liked the "red eye" look, but I think a " white eye" would look cool! One of my customers today said don't do brown or I'd have a "brown eye" taco. :rofl: Should I paint everything with hi temp paint? Anybody got any suggestions on colors? Any ideas are welcome also! My Tacoma is the Magnetic Gray. Much thanks TW! :cookiemonster:

2. Feb 10, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    CNEDEER

CNEDEER If ya ain't first, your last!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    It isn't necessary persay to sand the chrome, however I did, because I wanted to make sure it looked as best as possible. I used regular spray paint, nothing too fancy and it is holding up great. By far one of the best mods I have done. Color is up to you!

3. Feb 10, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    TennesseeFan76

TennesseeFan76 I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Member:
    First Name:
    Phill Goodfactor
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner DCLB
    3 inch lift, Debadged, 5% Tint, Custom Stereo, BHLM, Fog Light Mod, Sockmonkey Decals, OEM Bedmat, Plasti Dip Front Valence, Slims 6K HIDs (thanks goes to TheGloryFades), Hyper yellow fog lights, LED interior lights, Satoshi Grille with FJ Emblem, Pro Comp lights behind Satoshi, FatMat
    I painted mine with Plasti-Dip. Turned out great. No problems at all. You can see in my pics. Good Luck. You will love this mod

4. Feb 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    BG KY Jets Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Bowling Green Ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 2WD DC
    Roof Rack, TRD skid plate, TRD cat back exhaust, Pioneer AVIC-930BT, subwoofers, Avid bar, Westin side steps, FLYZEYE strip, and Blacked out Badges. More to come....
    I'm just concerned with the status of the paint over time.

5. Feb 10, 2012 at 5:51 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    I used adhesion promoter and krylon fusion satin black on the headlight surround, and color matched silver streak on the headlight bowl and black and silver combo on the projector shrouds. I didn't sand anything.

6. Feb 10, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    sydwayz04

sydwayz04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    belgrade
    Vehicle:
    11 acc. cab sr5 white
    stero system, couple subs, dwreck sliders, shackel flip, long travel air bags, h.i.d.'s, and some other cool stuff
    i never sanded the crome but did scotch bright it just to scuff it up, use the red scotch bright, i also laid down a nice coat of primer too, and no need for high heat paint, they never really get that hot, and i think white would look cool... atleast different,

7. Feb 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    Casey05Taco

Casey05Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Penngrove, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Prerunner
    trd seat covers, bed mat, tinted windows, debadged, mud flaps removed, tinted tails, blacked out center console, Black Rims, 6000k HID in highs and fogs, blacked out front emblem, Pioneer AVH-4300DVD, Gauge Cluster, lower valence, retrofitted, audio system, Maxtrac Spindles, Billies
    i used krylon fusion satin black also, then when i did my retrofits i just sprayed the bowls the satin black too

8. Feb 10, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    dad32509

dad32509 Thinking of something clever

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Blacked out 05
    5100's front and back, OME 885x's, LR UCA's, OMD rear springs, Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD, HVAC Green led's MOD, Blacked out bumper, Plastidip emblems, custom front tube bumper, 32" combo led bar, rigid duallys, otrattw switches, my own Satoshi grille, shorty antenna, Spyder LED halo headlights. csjumper2003 map/dome, 3rd brake, DTRL white/amber and parking LED's. Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Cab mount chop, sliders and rear light bar w/blitzpro 5LR dust light. Uniden CB, Magnaflow 18" exhaust, Rear tire carrier, sway bar removed, spidertrax 1.25" spacers, Wheelers 16" Alloys w/265/75r16 Goodyear DuraTracs
    Krylon fusion for sure. I used plastidip on the rims, grill and emblems and love the shit.....but I think the krylon fusion is better for the lights

9. Feb 10, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    GoDeacsWFU23

GoDeacsWFU23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Clemmons, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner TRD Sport
    [​IMG]

Glad I am not the ony one taking lights apart tonight.........it was a bad day for me.

10. Feb 10, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    Meeocky

Meeocky GEAUX TIGERS!

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Black '05 Tacoma
    damn, that sucks!!:( :(

11. Feb 10, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    Damn! dude haha did you use any kind of epoxy? i recommend a two step epoxy and just spreading it on the black part of the projector, then slipping the shroud on over it. let dry/cure for awhile. once its cemented on then close the headlights haha

12. Feb 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    TACWUT

TACWUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    12 prerunner DC
    Flowmaster turndown, 5100 up front/5150 rear, maxtrac spindles, 2" tuff country add a leaf+TSB.
    Thats y i dont want to mess with my shit

13. Feb 10, 2012 at 7:08 PM
    Hondarider08

Hondarider08 "That's what she said..."

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Logan, UT (Originally Pocatello, ID)
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD
    Leveling kit, K&N drop in, and a Loud Ass Stereo :)
    Just an FYI, there are four holes on the back of the shroud that line up with the projector housing. I used four machine screws and attached them that way. No epoxy, no glue, no nothing. Just pure hardware that wont fail. PM me if you have any questions man, that sucks that you have to pull it apart again. :/

14. Feb 10, 2012 at 8:13 PM
    dalesrn

dalesrn Tacoma TSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma PreRunner DC with TSS Package
    Borla exhaust system, Sirius Satellite Radio, Chrome package, Trailer Hitch, Clazzio Leather seat covers, TSS badging, Anytime on fog lights mod, Daytime driving lights mod, Dual backseat DVD players w/monitors, 3rd Brake Light "TSS" mod, Bed pocket lights mod, Seat belt chime mod, Bed storage compartment auxillary outlet mod, Shorty antenna, Armor Lid Tonneau Cover, Line of Fire tailgate light
    That would be my luck!

15. Feb 10, 2012 at 8:14 PM
    GoDeacsWFU23

GoDeacsWFU23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Clemmons, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner TRD Sport
    The thing is, when I put them back together, the last thing I thought about was what I would do if this crap happened......

I guess I am not a BHLM pro........

16. Feb 10, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ARB Bumper, Smittybilt X20, King suspension
    x2

17. Feb 10, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    babyboi2284

babyboi2284 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Lockport, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Barcelona Red X-Runner
    LS 6k projectors w/ white halos, 6k fogs, T-Rex Angry Lids, NST SSK, Coupe Shift Knob, BHLM, LFM, DLM, FLM, JL 500/1 amp, JL 10"w6v2, subX wanna be made by me, Magnaflow muffler, 5% tint, k&n drop in filter, Craven Speed Stubby, map light mod
    I sand the chrome a little to scuff it then use krylon fusion satin black and have never had any problems. No need for hi heat paint

18. Feb 11, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    BG KY Jets Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Bowling Green Ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 2WD DC
    I appreciate all the input. I'm going to sand off some of the chrome, leave some of it in the DTRL pocket for brightness, and spray it down with the fusion. I'll be looking for more help when I get my retro kit. Think I'm going to go with the Morimoto Mini H1. Seem to get pretty good reviews on here about them. Plus, no cutting the housing right?

19. Feb 11, 2012 at 3:51 PM
    BG KY Jets Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Bowling Green Ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 2WD DC
    Dam man, I would be f...ing pissed!

20. Feb 11, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    I personally used plastic primer, then high temp paint, but neither are probably needed.

I did my shroud black and left the bowl silver. To give the light a bit of an accent rather than all black.

Good luck!

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top