1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camper Shell AUX Backup Lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Drunknsloth, May 10, 2011.

1. May 10, 2011 at 1:38 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth [OP] Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    I have searched this multiple times but got nothing. I want to find a way to mount some AUX Backup Spot Lights with my camper shell still installed (although I plan on getting a Bestop soon). I don't want to mount it on the roof. If I put a bed bar inside the bed then I run the risk of the reflection from the rear glass preventing on allowing me to see anything. If I drill holes on the plastic piece of my bumper to mount it, then it would block me from opening the tailgate. It seems pretty difficult to cut holes big enough for me to put the lights behind the bumper.

The lights are 6LED spotlights that I will be sourcing from my uncle and hopefully setting up a group buy for on here soon.

2. May 10, 2011 at 1:40 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I'm interested in the same type of set up

3. May 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    x2. I want them inside the shell, mounted higher up but I'm afraid the reflection on the back window will make them useless.

4. May 10, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    So like a box inside the shell... Nice! I never thought of that for some reason

5. May 10, 2011 at 7:26 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I have two 55 watt foglights mounted in factory holes in the underside of my rear bumper. Several others here have done the same. The trailer hitch hangs below them, so they are pretty safe. Works for me, I saw no need to complicate things.

Edit: Are these monster size lights that you are getting? They won't fit under the bumper?

6. May 25, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    I don't want them under the bumper because I want to make use of as much clearance as I can

7. Jun 3, 2011 at 9:09 AM
    shane100700

shane100700 Bed, Bath & Beyond Crawler

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    Do you have a trailor hitch? They should'nt sit too much lower then the hitch its self.

Mount them on the far side (end) sideways (below) (Future MOD)

[​IMG]

Or in one of the hook openings in next to the hitch (if you use the outer ones instead for your chains).

[​IMG]

(unless of course you have some massive lights you want to install!!)

8. Jun 11, 2011 at 9:02 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    OP

Did you do it? Would love to see pics if you did!

9. Jun 11, 2011 at 11:48 PM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    I ended up with them in my bed but I'm still trying to think of how to make the shrouds... It's been a long process. 3 failed attempts. I might just end up opening the glass when I go wheeling at night...

10. Jun 12, 2011 at 12:01 AM
    MrFastLayne

MrFastLayne Mr SGA

Member:
    First Name:
    Layne
    Lincoln Ca,
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 V6 Off Road
    Lift,Winch,Shell,Light Bar,Siren,Radio's
  11. Jun 14, 2011 at 11:43 PM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    I have that exact shell. What did you use to mount that? Or did you drill holes?

12. Jun 16, 2011 at 12:09 AM
    MrFastLayne

MrFastLayne Mr SGA

Member:
    First Name:
    Layne
    Lincoln Ca,
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 V6 Off Road
    Lift,Winch,Shell,Light Bar,Siren,Radio's
    I drilled 3 holes for each light. Two for the bolts & one for the power & ground. Then topped with clear silicone.

13. Jun 16, 2011 at 10:20 PM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Nice!

14. Sep 6, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    I ended up mounting them on a custom bracket I made in my shell. Works like a champ! Pictures to come soon. Here is a picture of it with my old bracket that is now modified:

322878_163136207098192_100002054422789_3_b93c50d376ff020d11388b501253857c77f1193d.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top