1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

camping and sleep apnia (CPAP) solution

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by NetMonkey, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Sep 4, 2008 at 3:04 PM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    since this forum is all about 4x4's, the outdoors, and possibly camping, i figured it would be appropriate to post this here.

i have had sleep apnia for years and have had to use a CPAP machine every night. this makes camping almost impossible because i have to sleep near a power source, bring in a power source, or sleep near a vehicle to run off its battery. however, i just found a more portable and elegant solution to this problem so i thought that i would share.

battery technology has made great strides in the last few years and there is now a lithium-ion battery capable of running 10-25 hours on a sinlge charge (depending on device pressure) that comes in a complete kit with the charger, adapters, and cables and it only weighs 8 pounds. it is also small enough to fit into the pocket of a car door:
    http://www.bestcpapprice.com/Batter...ortable-12V-CPAP-Battery-System_p_23-192.html

at $400, it is kind of pricey, but i think its well worth it for the freedom and convenience of being able to sleep anywhere. i got turned on to this because my power company is shutting off the power at my apartment tonight for maintenance and i had to come up with a solution to be able to sleep. so now i have it in case the power ever goes out and for when i go camping.

for those of you with sleep apnia or those who know anyone who does have it, i hope this is helpful :)

beertimecontinuum likes this.
  2. Sep 4, 2008 at 3:08 PM
    natrlyst

natrlyst Well-Known Member

Member:
    great idea, my father has sleep apnia and right now he charges his eliminator every day with the genny to power his CPAP, I'll transfer the idea, thanks

3. Sep 4, 2008 at 3:10 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Great catch, I work with a bunch of guys that use the CPAP machines off shore and would be glad to have one that runs on battery.

4. Sep 4, 2008 at 3:21 PM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    ohh... and i have to mention. this is a great company to deal with. their customer service is fantasic. the guy who helped me was patient and answered all of my questions.

5. Sep 5, 2008 at 5:27 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    Interesting. I was just recently diagnosed with sleep apnia. I don't have the machine yet. I have to go in for another test in October. At 5'8", 145lbs, and 28 years old, I'm an unlikely candidate for sleep apnia, but the professionals say I have it. In my case, I'll save the $400, but it's good to know there is an alternative power source if necessary.

6. Jul 13, 2011 at 5:34 PM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    with the recent lightning storms we had here, i thought that i better pull out my battery and make sure its charged up just in case the power were to go out.

so i also thought that i would bump this thread for anyone else in a similar situation :)

7. Jul 13, 2011 at 5:38 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    awesome find! At the office I work at, we see a lot of patients with sleep apnea. I may have to recommend this to some! I know a few said they want to camp but cant.

8. Jul 13, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    For backup power in the home, go with a UPS for computers. It's far cheaper than LIon, but not as portable. They have different sizes for different run times, depending on load.

9. Jul 13, 2011 at 6:16 PM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    thats a good call, but when a UPS loses external power, it beeps :) that would suck when you are trying to sleep :)

and you cant take a UPS with you when you are camping :)

Products Discussed in

To Top