1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camping in the winter.

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by BalutTaco, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Nov 22, 2019 at 12:45 PM
    BalutTaco

BalutTaco [OP] Moja_Przygoda

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Limo Trail Edition -> 2022 Magnetic Grey OR
    Bird nest engine bay.
    Need some tips or tricks. This will be my first time camping in the winter. I'm planning to camp in the Sierra national forest because its the nearest dispersed area to Yosemite. I will be ground tent camping. we'll be taking one vehicle But i'm trying to convince my other buddy to come with his rig.
    Also what animals should i worried about in the winter?

2. Nov 22, 2019 at 12:48 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    Squirrels and raccoons. Keep your site clean and stuff secured and there’s no problems.

Get a good insulated sleeping mat and sleeping bag, warm clothes and keep dry.

SR-71A and BalutTaco[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  3. Nov 22, 2019 at 12:52 PM
    Extra Hard Taco

Extra Hard Taco Survivor of the winter of misery and death.

Member:
    First Name:
    R.J.
    Clown World
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    ARB Bumper, SOS sliders, rear bumper, and skid plate. OME Lift. Some other stuff.
  4. Nov 22, 2019 at 12:55 PM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
    Sleeping bag should be full synthetic with synthetic fill. Trust me, if a natural fill bag gets wet, it ruins the rest of the trip. Carry a dry sack for clean clothes or keep them in the cab of the truck. (also it helps to stuff tomorrow's change of clothes into the bottom of your sleeping bag.) If you are expecting mid 30's go for a zero degree bag. If you're in snow or below 10 degrees, get yourself a -20 rated or better.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  5. Nov 22, 2019 at 1:08 PM
    BalutTaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bird nest engine bay.
    I appreciate everyone advice!!!! :cheers:

6. Nov 22, 2019 at 1:09 PM
    LittleBlueHilux69

LittleBlueHilux69 Breaking Stuff est. '18

Member:
    Rapid City, SD
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR "Rocky"
    I have been camping in the winter for years now, and the best advice I can give you is warm clothes and a warmer sleeping bag.

7. Nov 22, 2019 at 1:10 PM
    BalutTaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bird nest engine bay.
    This is a stupid question.... Do you set your tent on top of the snow? or try to clear up a ground spot til you hit dirt?

8. Nov 22, 2019 at 1:14 PM
    LittleBlueHilux69

LittleBlueHilux69 Breaking Stuff est. '18

Member:
    Rapid City, SD
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR "Rocky"
    I normally set a tarp down to avoid digging. A sleeping pad is also very useful at retaining heat. I use the inflatable variety for backpacking and camping.

SR-71A likes this.
  9. Nov 22, 2019 at 1:21 PM
    jowybyo

jowybyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM DCSB Postrunner 4wd Conversion, Debadged
    If you use an insulated sleeping pad, you really don't need to over rate you sleeping bag. The cost/weight penalty of the sleeping pad is worth the savings on the bag. I use my 15° bag down to about 0° in the snow without any problem. The key really is having a good pad so you aren't sleeping directly on the ground.

Astr0Aar0n and BalutTaco[OP] like this.
  10. Nov 22, 2019 at 2:14 PM
    BalutTaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bird nest engine bay.
    Good thing I already own an insulated pad. Sadly my buddies don't LOL.... Have anyone use a heater buddy inside the tent?

11. Nov 22, 2019 at 2:32 PM
    jowybyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    Yea. They give me a headache so I don't anymore. Other people seem to have good luck with them. I think the burned propane smell just messes with me.

12. Nov 22, 2019 at 2:37 PM
    Rock Lobster

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
    Yes. I have, and I survived. If it's working perfectly it doesn't produce CO. But that's a big if. If I did it again I'd probably bring a battery powered carbon monox detector as well.

13. Nov 22, 2019 at 2:41 PM
    Rock Lobster

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
    Headache is the first symptom of CO exposure. That kinda underscores my point of bringing a detector if you use one.

14. Nov 22, 2019 at 2:51 PM
    jowybyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    Yea. I get a headache even around them in open spaces. Idk if I'm just more sensitive to CO than other people, but I don't have problems with kerosene heaters (which I would think are likely to create a high CO environment).

Rock Lobster[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Nov 22, 2019 at 3:19 PM
    Extra Hard Taco

Extra Hard Taco Survivor of the winter of misery and death.

Member:
    First Name:
    R.J.
    Clown World
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    ARB Bumper, SOS sliders, rear bumper, and skid plate. OME Lift. Some other stuff.
    Tamp the snow down as much as you can into a flat pad, usually done with snowshoes, or snow shovel, let it freeze backup then throw your tent down.

16. Nov 22, 2019 at 3:59 PM
    Canadian Joe

Canadian Joe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma trd off-road ,access cab,MT
    SCS rims 285's OME lift
    For a number of years I've been using this ,cut into 8 foot lengths, great because it is dual purpose,
    Put it in the bottom of your tent as a base then your other sleeping pads on top , because it is fairly rigid when new we use it as our own personal refector oven when you are sitting near this fire . Because it only weighs 1.5 lb per 8 ft I even take on autumn canoe trips .lt make those cool evening sitting by the fire when your front is warm and your back freezes it's so nice.If it's not in my truck my wife won't go.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflect...-Reflective-Insulation-Roll-BP48025/100052556
    IMG_2608.jpg

17. Nov 22, 2019 at 4:08 PM
    BalutTaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bird nest engine bay.
    Pretty awesome idea man!! Love that its super lightweight

18. Dec 3, 2019 at 12:57 PM
    Yoda23

Yoda23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM TRD OR
    Don't know if you've already gone, but another fun fact I learned the hard way a few times... my iPhone will lose about 75% if its charge overnight if I leave it out in pretty cold weather (20's/30's). Now I always put it in the bottom of my bag with me.

BalutTaco[OP] likes this.
  19. Dec 4, 2019 at 10:43 AM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    The kerosene heaters definitely give off CO, I've run several DOAs and more CO poisonings from them- usually poor folks and often trailer dwellers using them when the temps get colder than normal. Even the kerosene that's not supposed to smell as much stinks to me and apparently a lot of other folks.

I'm not watching all of those Backpacker videos, but several suggestions I'll toss out, in no particular order.
    Use a decent tent. Put a ground cloth under your tent. Tramp the snow down flat (while you're doing this make sure there aren't sticks or rocks in it. Use a good sleeping pad- do not use a non-insulated inflatable, insulated inflatables are good to go. A cot that keeps you off the ground can be warmer than sleeping on the ground provided you still use your insulated pad. I like down bags but you do have to keep them dry, there are treated, water resistant versions out there. Mummy bags are warmer than rectangular but don't allow as much wiggle room if you move around a lot in your sleep. A hooded bag and draft collars significantly improve heat retention. I always buy the long version of sleeping bags so I have room in the foot to toss my clothes (and water bottle) for the next day. If you're not sure about the expected temps and haven't tried your bag in cold weather bring extra layers, you're truck camping so you can afford the weight of a nice wool blanket (which is also great for wrapping around yourself next to the campfire). I usually toss an old wool army blanket down before I put my pad and sleeping bag down. Toss a Nalgene bottle of hot water down in the foot of your bed before going to sleep, it'll warm the bag up and stay warm for a while and you'll have water ready to use in the morning instead of having to waste fuel thawing ice (make sure the bottle doesn't leak before you use it, alternately you could use one of those heating packs). Wear thermals, socks, gloves and a hat if you need to but don't wear constricting clothes. Alcohol doesn't actually warm you. Drink and eat enough before going to bed. Have a pee bottle so you don't have to get out of your bag in the middle of the night (make it noticeably different from your drinking bottles- I use a Gatorade bottle since I don't drink Gatorade I know the bottle feels different from my smooth Nalgenes). Thermacare heating pads last up to sixteen hours (according to their literature, I don't find they last quite that long but still a good while), putting one on your back near your kidneys will warm your blood up and help keep you warm (I do this when deer hunting since I'm not moving much and I keep a couple in the truck during the winter). If you plan to have a fire in the morning, get it prepped so it's easier and faster to get lit. Do small food prep at home if possible, ex. it sucks taking off your glove to chop peppers and onions for omelets when you could have done it at home and just put them in a Ziploc.

Have fun knowing far fewer folks are willing to get out when it's cold!

Yeah I know, Holy wall of text. :anonymous:

20. Dec 4, 2019 at 11:53 AM
    jowybyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    A lot of people forget this. Being elevated is good, but then cold air will be under you. You'll still need an insulated pad, because the insulating in your sleeping bag gets compressed from laying on it. This goes for regular air mattresses too. You end up sleeping on a bag of cold air.

Also, memory foam isn't a good insulator. It turns into a hard cold block when the temperature drops. Feels like you are sleeping on an ice cube.

Products Discussed in

To Top