1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

can anyone help with deglazing your own drums and rotors?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by keakar, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Jun 1, 2015 at 7:26 AM
    keakar

keakar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    ok, when I do brake jobs I often have some drums and rotors that don't "need" replacing but are often "polished" and need some friction added back to the surface so what is the best way to do this without damaging the surface.

I hate just buying new rotors to throw perfectly good ones away just because they are polished smooth or reusing them and have the new pads glaze over because of lack of friction so neither of these is the best option so what else can i do?

granted you have to, by definition, do "some" damage it to scuff it but you know what I mean, I don't want to cause imperfections that could create an uneven matting surface, i just want to deglaze it by hand somehow.

what is the least aggressive tool to basically "hone" the surface when doing a brake job? is just going at it with some 80 grit sand paper ok?

EDIT: you can read the thread but as it turns out, all you can do is buy new rotors or drums if you cant get your old ones turned

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  2. Jun 1, 2015 at 7:52 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    I've repadded/reshoed many a rotor/drum with no turning, just a good cleaning with brake cleaner.

If they need resurfacing for some reason, a brake lathe is the only way to do it right.

On the last car I had that needed rotor attention, a new Bembro blank was only $10 more than having the old one turned. Since I pushed that car pretty hard, new was a no brainer at that point, rather than running a significantly thinned rotor.

I've not owned anything with rear drums that needed attention since the mid 80's, so I don't know how their current pricing compares to the cost of turning.

3. Jun 1, 2015 at 9:01 AM
    rzgkane

rzgkane Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TDR Sport 4WD DCLB - Cement - Tech and Premium
    4Runner Trail wheels and Toyo Open Country ATII tires 265-70-17. Cosmetic stuff like Pro grille and OffRoad black bumper trim, vinyl delete on side, added hood graphic, OEM tube steps.
    I've used 3M Scotch Brite pads on an electric drill to break up the surface glaze before. Worked well.

mpm likes this.
  4. Jun 1, 2015 at 9:09 AM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    I always just buy new rotors.

The original front brake pads on my 2011 went over 75k. The cost of rotors over that many miles is negligible.

Haven't touched the rear drums.

5. Jun 1, 2015 at 9:10 AM
    keakar

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    thanks, that's why im searching for opinions

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  6. Jun 1, 2015 at 9:14 AM
    keakar

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    well I have too, and I even have reused some drums and rotors that were "iffy" with just one or two small grooves but it sucks when you have a mirror polished rotor that you know will squeal or squeak until the pads scuff it up yet "no one" turns rotors within 100 miles of me and there are plenty of auto stores on every corner.

last time I found an out of the way shop that I was directed to and they set the machine up wrong and instead of just deglazing then then cut my drums wrong (off centered) and ruined them. needless to say Tyrone's auto detailing and wrecker service will never be getting my business again

I think the specialty racing shops are the only ones that still have turning machines and most don't have anyone who even knows how to use them.

you ask the guy behind the counter where to get rotors turned and you get this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3oOTGKzL0U

7. Jun 1, 2015 at 5:50 PM
    Styx586

Styx586 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrance
    Lake Elsinore, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport, 2001 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    You really should get them professionally machined on a lathe. It's the only "proper" way to do it other than replacing the rotors. However, there is a width specification that the rotors have to meet before they can be machined. If you machine them below that spec, you risk overheating the brakes and thus getting brake fade or complete loss of brakes. IMO brakes are one of the most important systems on any vehicle and should be done properly.

8. Jun 1, 2015 at 6:21 PM
    keakar

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I would have to drive over 100 miles and "leave the state" to find a place that still turns rotors. its cheaper to buy new ones then just the cost of gas to do that so im looking for another option.

I agree its best to turn them but that is not a reasonable option here so short of throwing a perfectly good rotor in the trash just because its glazed, im asking for what can be done in your own driveway as another option.

don't worry, i hear ya and I have no plans to break out the power tools or the side grinder on it lol.

glazed rotors need the glaze knocked of them and that's what im asking for options about doing if there is no possible way to turn them on a machine.

9. Jun 1, 2015 at 7:05 PM
    roehoe72

roehoe72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 dc prerunner v6 trd
    Ive contemplated using a hand held electric sander before. The kind for wood work. I think if you attack it with a 3m abrasive pad as mentioned before you'll be ok. Hell even a grinder with a flappy/sanding disc would work. Just dont go hog wild. Use a minimal amount of pressure. In order to remove any metal with said disc you gotta put your ass into it. And yes im aware I've just opened the flood gate for the haters. So hate on! Again, these are merely suggestions and ideas. If you're not comfortable with any, dont do it. One.other idea is type "diy deglaze rotors" into Google. Good luck!

10. Jun 1, 2015 at 7:11 PM
    mpm

mpm Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've done this multiple times on various vehicles, and had rather good success. Unless there are some massive grooves in the rotor or cracking, breaking the glaze just exposes the metal on the rotor to allow it to "bound" with the new pads. I mean, there's a lot more going on here, but again, I've always done this and not had any issues.

11. Jun 1, 2015 at 9:08 PM
    trx125

trx125 Well-Known Member

Member:
    3M pads with a angle die grinder is what I use.

12. Jun 3, 2015 at 2:09 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    My old rotors always get used for something they make great bases .

Around here no one turns them either just installs new cheap China made junk.

13. Jun 3, 2015 at 2:24 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    I remember years ago seeing special abrasive pads you installed then drove for a couple of miles hitting the brakes lightly, the rotor was resurfaced and ready to go....pop out pads, put in new ones, and away you go....haven't seen the abrasive pads in awhile, I thought it was a good idea....maybe it didn't work so well....

14. Jun 3, 2015 at 3:31 AM
    Conumdrum

Conumdrum Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma
    2WD Sport Nav SC V-6 Mall crawler Home Depot truck
    Getting mechanical work at a place named like that. Scary.

15. Jun 3, 2015 at 5:03 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    Not sure what the fuss is about, I've done numerous brake jobs and so long as there was no indication that the rotors were warped I just put in the new pads and carried on my merry way without a problem.

16. Jun 3, 2015 at 3:20 PM
    keakar

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    well glazed rotors will give you that irritating brake squeal but the biggest problem with glazed rotors is, they can cause the new pads to glaze over and not give the best braking.

if you just slap new pads on a glazed rotor and go with it, then yes it will work fine that way, but it will not have the best stopping power it could.

17. Jun 3, 2015 at 3:41 PM
    Deathbysnusnu

Deathbysnusnu Work is just a daily detour to happy hour.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Fort Crawlins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Vintage Tundra
    Dog, camper.
  18. Jun 3, 2015 at 6:36 PM
    keakar

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    yep, you are right, there is a carquest right on the corner and there are lots of napas around, there is one a mile away that used to be my "go to" place to get them done and another of their big full blown retail box stores 3 miles away and two more regular outlet stores around 20 miles from here and AFAIK every one has a turning machine but they will not turn rotors or drums anymore. some BS about DOT or NHTSA liability issue and such about proper training certification needed to operate the machine, blah blah blah "buy a new rotor dude" was the reply from all of them.

its frustrating as hell I tell ya, to be able to see the machine there and they wont use it. one of em even told me if they would let him do it he would have to charge like $20 to turn it anyway.

I cant tell you if its just based on how cheap the replacement rotors have gotten but for some reason "everyone" stopped turning rotors in south Louisiana and I have searched from New Orleans to Hammond and no one within this 40 mile area does it or knows anyone who still does it. I do hafta kinda admit its hard to justify spending $15-$20 on turning a rotor when a new one only costs $30 at the local auto store but if your rotor isn't bad why throw it away and spend that extra $15 if you can avoid it?

if they still turn rotors up north or somewhere near you then you are lucky but its like it has become an outlawed practice not to be done anymore down around here.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  19. Jun 4, 2015 at 1:19 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Places may still list they turn Rotors and drums but call or ask in person They Don`t!!!

Just asked my Local Napa if they Knew of anyone still doing it The answer was no!!

20. Jun 4, 2015 at 7:19 PM
    high n mighty

high n mighty Well versed in sarcasm

Member:
    Pickering Ontario
    Vehicle:
    01 DC
    you keep saying "throw it away" dosnt anyone pay for scrap metal where your from? Just save them up along with all you other scrap metal and take it to the metal recyclers and they will give you money for it, im assuming you do have a pick up truck to haul some scrap metal right?

Products Discussed in

To Top