1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can anyone identify this noise?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by beckettisgod, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Feb 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM
    beckettisgod

beckettisgod [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Barcelona Red
    Fog light anytime mod, Black lower valence, In-channel AVS Ventvisors, drop-in K&N filter so far...
    I hate to start another "WTF is this noise????" thread, but I'm not really good with this kind of stuff and before I head to the stealership or local garage I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on this noise.

Truck is an '05 TRD sport 4.0L V6 with 93k on it, runs fine otherwise.

It only makes the rattleish noise in gear, R, D, 4, 3, 2, 1, and in H4 and L4. Heard outside the truck decently and somewhat inside the truck but seems to go away at higher speeds. No noise in neutral or park...other than the usual.

First vid is just of the truck in park idling, included for comparison (excuse the honda with a fartpipe towards the end of the vid lol)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncSj2LTF8YA

The truck in gear (D), with the e-brake set...if you listen you can hear the rattle or w/e it is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_MHV_TUkxI

2. Feb 23, 2012 at 2:29 PM
    beckettisgod

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Fog light anytime mod, Black lower valence, In-channel AVS Ventvisors, drop-in K&N filter so far...
    Nobody can relate to this sound while in gear?

3. Feb 23, 2012 at 2:34 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    does it change as the rps go up/down? almost sounds like something in the exhaust

4. Feb 23, 2012 at 2:37 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I don't hear anything to be concerned about. Sounds pretty normal to me. Are you experiencing any problems?

5. Feb 23, 2012 at 2:45 PM
    beckettisgod

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Yes to this, it's really only noticable when idling in gear, or coasting at low speeds. It pretty much goes away as you accelerate up to highway speed, but I have the TRD exhaust and it drowns out all other noises lol.

Yeah, I noticed when I recorded them with my phone I couldnt really tell the difference on the phone, until I got home and put them on youtube.

I had a feeling it may be a "normal toyota noise" but I wanted to make positively sure before I take it in for a look... and I'm not really experiencing any abnormal behavior otherwise.

6. Feb 23, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD OR & 1985 SR5 4Runner
    I am pretty sure you have nothing to worry about. Like wolfpack said, it is just the "Tacoma tick". My truck sounds the same way.

7. Feb 23, 2012 at 2:56 PM
    beckettisgod

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, the tick I'm used to, it's the grinding/rattling noise in gear that gets me.

8. Feb 23, 2012 at 2:56 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I had a Celica that would rattle a heat shield only between 1500-2500 RPM. Perhaps one of your skids or shields is a little loose?

9. Feb 23, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD OR & 1985 SR5 4Runner
    Oh well I don't hear that??? It is probably one of those "you have to hear it in person" type deals.

10. Feb 23, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    beckettisgod

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    I'll climb under her tomorrow and see if I can't feel something loose on the exhaust. Thanks to everyone for the input. :)

11. Feb 25, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    beckettisgod

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Well, I had a chance to climb under and slap things around a bit. Didn't find anything obvious at all, checked all the heat shields, slapped the shit out of the exhaust. The only thing I found was that the front skid plate was stuffed in a little bit on the left side. It was making contact with supports under there. I separated it with a prybar. So, after firing it back up and throwing it in gear, the noise wasn't quite as loud. So I'm going to just assume this noise is normal and I'm going to leave it at that. If I have problems related to this noise I will update. Thanks again!

12. Mar 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    wtron

wtron New Member

Member:
    in my 07 i had a noise like that it was the air intake in the fender was worned out it would make anoise in all gears up hills let off gas it would stop took out put cooler air intake in and it stop Toyota got a flyer on it fond out when i took it in to be service hope this helps

Products Discussed in

To Top