1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can I hook up genetic amp with stock 6-Cd Headunit?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by khfactor, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Feb 10, 2008 at 2:52 PM
    khfactor

khfactor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
    Pop N Lock + Hose Clamp. DTRL, AFE drop-In Dry filter, 6-1/2" Replacement Speakers, JVC HD Radio, Sam's club variety Floor mats (cheap but effective), Chrome Exhaust tip, Bed Mat from ol' Ford Ranger
    I like the factory Taco 6-CD headunit on my Taco and I want to keep this arrangement. However, I would like to upgrade the "quality" of sound from this HEADUNIT. I am replacing factory speakers to Pioneer TSA-1672R series of speakers as Maverick and others have highly recommended.

I am considering some genetic SONY Amp from Walmart ($98.42). It is Sony XM-554ZR Xplod 600 Watt 4-Channel Amplifier.

I just want some improvement and I sure heck do not intend to wake everyone in the neighborhood as I would be considered a Loonie at my age of almost 50 years old. Is this possible? In the old days, I had connected one of those "all-in-one" equalizer which included amp at a speaker line level on my 1983 Honda Accord with set of ol' Jensen speakers.... :p

Those set up was easy then and I want the same easy hook up if possible..... Cross-overs, and mumbo-jumbo lingos give me a headache... :mad:

Any recommendations? OR feedback would be appreciated... Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Feb 10, 2008 at 10:35 PM
    1killerkaw

1killerkaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver DC LB SR5 4x4 Tow Pkg.
    Pop-N-Lock, AFE OE Replacement Pro Dry S, 20% tint all the way around, 6000k Bi-Xenon HIDs, 3" Dynomax super turbo muffler, ATC LED Limited campershell, Bedrug, Suspension TSB.
  3. Feb 10, 2008 at 11:27 PM
    AK Backcountry

AK Backcountry Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle River AK
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    Snugtop, Scangauge II, iPod Adaptor, Redline Hood Struts, Removed Secondary Air Filter, De-badged, AFE Drop In, Westin Oval Steps Future: Locker Anytime
    khfactor

Jenson 3 by 9s. Now you're dating yourself. I remember cutting the back deck out of a 76 Firebird to install speakers. I had a similar after market amp/equalizer, but that was also with an 8 track player if I remember. Understand where you are coming from about the amp, don't want to wake the neighbors, just good clean sound.:)

By the way I grew up in Doylestown, but get back much now. Worked in a Machine Shop in Willow Grove for awhile when I was in college which if I remember the area is right up the road from HV.

AK Backcountry

4. Feb 11, 2008 at 5:35 AM
    khfactor

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
    Pop N Lock + Hose Clamp. DTRL, AFE drop-In Dry filter, 6-1/2" Replacement Speakers, JVC HD Radio, Sam's club variety Floor mats (cheap but effective), Chrome Exhaust tip, Bed Mat from ol' Ford Ranger
    Hey, you're like my lost ol' friend! Howd'y ol' neighbor? Yeah, HV is a stone throw from W.G. and is a quaint ol' small town. But alot has changed over the course of years as you might expect. W.G. Naval base is slated for closing in a couple of years as part of the military BRAC and the urban sprawling at Easton Rd & Street Road has the entire farm fields converted into Mega, what else, shopping mall.

The drive-in movie theatre right off of Rt-611 (Easton Rd) just before Edison Furlong Road is now gone as well as that pagoda at the corner of Easton & Almshouse Rd where they had ol' dolls on display is also HISTORY all in the name of URBAN sprawling..... Tse.. Tse....

Anyway, if you have any suggestions on adding a no-frill simple amp to the factory 6-CD Taco radio (I hear it is made by Pioneer), that would be appreciated.

Hmmmmm... maybe, I can still use the ol' amp/equalizer trick on the Taco Headunit? Believe of not, I still have the ol' amp/equalizer combo from my 1983 Honda Accord that I removed prior to junking the car... I also have an Emerson all-in-one home strereo (it has turn-table, 8-track player/recoder, cassette player/record, with plexi dust cover) in MINT condition. I might also add that I have a few 8-track cartridges as well... Get this, I do not remember where this one came from, but I have an Engelbert Humperdink 8-track. How original is that????

5. Feb 11, 2008 at 5:41 AM
    khfactor

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
  6. Feb 11, 2008 at 8:37 AM
    1killerkaw

1killerkaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver DC LB SR5 4x4 Tow Pkg.
    Pop-N-Lock, AFE OE Replacement Pro Dry S, 20% tint all the way around, 6000k Bi-Xenon HIDs, 3" Dynomax super turbo muffler, ATC LED Limited campershell, Bedrug, Suspension TSB.
    You could still use the steering wheel controls.

To Top