1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can I hook up genetic amp with stock 6-Cd Headunit?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by khfactor, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Feb 10, 2008 at 2:52 PM
    khfactor

khfactor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
    Pop N Lock + Hose Clamp. DTRL, AFE drop-In Dry filter, 6-1/2" Replacement Speakers, JVC HD Radio, Sam's club variety Floor mats (cheap but effective), Chrome Exhaust tip, Bed Mat from ol' Ford Ranger. As of 3/25/2020, the Odometer just turned 70K.
    I like the factory Taco 6-CD headunit on my Taco and I want to keep this arrangement. However, I would like to upgrade the "quality" of sound from this HEADUNIT. I am replacing factory speakers to Pioneer TSA-1672R series of speakers as Maverick and others have highly recommended.

I am considering some genetic SONY Amp from Walmart ($98.42). It is Sony XM-554ZR Xplod 600 Watt 4-Channel Amplifier.

I just want some improvement and I sure heck do not intend to wake everyone in the neighborhood as I would be considered a Loonie at my age of almost 50 years old. Is this possible? In the old days, I had connected one of those "all-in-one" equalizer which included amp at a speaker line level on my 1983 Honda Accord with set of ol' Jensen speakers.... :p

Those set up was easy then and I want the same easy hook up if possible..... Cross-overs, and mumbo-jumbo lingos give me a headache... :mad:

Any recommendations? OR feedback would be appreciated... Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Feb 10, 2008 at 10:35 PM
    1killerkaw

1killerkaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver DC LB SR5 4x4 Tow Pkg.
    Pop-N-Lock, AFE OE Replacement Pro Dry S, 20% tint all the way around, 6000k Bi-Xenon HIDs, 3" Dynomax super turbo muffler, ATC LED Limited campershell, Bedrug, Suspension TSB.
  3. Feb 10, 2008 at 11:27 PM
    AK Backcountry

AK Backcountry Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle River AK
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    Snugtop, Scangauge II, iPod Adaptor, Redline Hood Struts, Removed Secondary Air Filter, De-badged, AFE Drop In, Westin Oval Steps Future: Locker Anytime
    khfactor

Jenson 3 by 9s. Now you're dating yourself. I remember cutting the back deck out of a 76 Firebird to install speakers. I had a similar after market amp/equalizer, but that was also with an 8 track player if I remember. Understand where you are coming from about the amp, don't want to wake the neighbors, just good clean sound.:)

By the way I grew up in Doylestown, but get back much now. Worked in a Machine Shop in Willow Grove for awhile when I was in college which if I remember the area is right up the road from HV.

AK Backcountry

4. Feb 11, 2008 at 5:35 AM
    khfactor

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
    Pop N Lock + Hose Clamp. DTRL, AFE drop-In Dry filter, 6-1/2" Replacement Speakers, JVC HD Radio, Sam's club variety Floor mats (cheap but effective), Chrome Exhaust tip, Bed Mat from ol' Ford Ranger. As of 3/25/2020, the Odometer just turned 70K.
    Hey, you're like my lost ol' friend! Howd'y ol' neighbor? Yeah, HV is a stone throw from W.G. and is a quaint ol' small town. But alot has changed over the course of years as you might expect. W.G. Naval base is slated for closing in a couple of years as part of the military BRAC and the urban sprawling at Easton Rd & Street Road has the entire farm fields converted into Mega, what else, shopping mall.

The drive-in movie theatre right off of Rt-611 (Easton Rd) just before Edison Furlong Road is now gone as well as that pagoda at the corner of Easton & Almshouse Rd where they had ol' dolls on display is also HISTORY all in the name of URBAN sprawling..... Tse.. Tse....

Anyway, if you have any suggestions on adding a no-frill simple amp to the factory 6-CD Taco radio (I hear it is made by Pioneer), that would be appreciated.

Hmmmmm... maybe, I can still use the ol' amp/equalizer trick on the Taco Headunit? Believe of not, I still have the ol' amp/equalizer combo from my 1983 Honda Accord that I removed prior to junking the car... I also have an Emerson all-in-one home strereo (it has turn-table, 8-track player/recoder, cassette player/record, with plexi dust cover) in MINT condition. I might also add that I have a few 8-track cartridges as well... Get this, I do not remember where this one came from, but I have an Engelbert Humperdink 8-track. How original is that????

5. Feb 11, 2008 at 5:41 AM
    khfactor

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
  6. Feb 11, 2008 at 8:37 AM
    1killerkaw

1killerkaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver DC LB SR5 4x4 Tow Pkg.
    Pop-N-Lock, AFE OE Replacement Pro Dry S, 20% tint all the way around, 6000k Bi-Xenon HIDs, 3" Dynomax super turbo muffler, ATC LED Limited campershell, Bedrug, Suspension TSB.
    You could still use the steering wheel controls.

Products Discussed in

To Top