1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can Someone Explain this TSB thing to Me...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Fmsvandal, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Jul 13, 2009 at 4:14 PM
    Fmsvandal

Fmsvandal [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DC/LB TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate 3" Lift, Light Racing UCA's, N-Fab Steps, Black Headlight Mod, Satoshi Thin Lip Grille, Painted Hood Scoop, Debadged, Bakflip G2 Cover, Pop/Lock, Alpine HU, Kicker Door Speakers, RE Audio Subs, Arc Audio Amps
    ...Im new to the forum and im just curious what the deal with this TSB is and what id have to do to get it done if its even needed.

thanks

2. Jul 13, 2009 at 4:16 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    Technical Service Bulletin. The most frequently addressed one on here is the replacement of the original 3-leaf pack with an upgraded 4 leaf pack. If you have an issue with your trucks ability to carry a load or can convince a dealer then go for it. DO a search. There are several threads.

3. Jul 13, 2009 at 4:28 PM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    Several? Several hundred! ;)

Some dealers will do it without question, others will give you beef if you're just doing it for the sake of doing it.

4. Jul 13, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    Fmsvandal

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DC/LB TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate 3" Lift, Light Racing UCA's, N-Fab Steps, Black Headlight Mod, Satoshi Thin Lip Grille, Painted Hood Scoop, Debadged, Bakflip G2 Cover, Pop/Lock, Alpine HU, Kicker Door Speakers, RE Audio Subs, Arc Audio Amps
    So when i go to pick up my truck i should ask them about it? Also, what other stuff should i find out while there that i can get taken care of under warranty and such..

thanks

5. Jul 13, 2009 at 4:37 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    if you do carry any heavy loads or do any towing it'll probably be a good idea. That being said, the ride stiffens up a bit so some people don't like it.

6. Jul 13, 2009 at 4:44 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    If you haven't picked up your truck yet...demand they do it.

7. Jul 13, 2009 at 4:46 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter

X2!

8. Jul 13, 2009 at 4:46 PM
    Fmsvandal

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DC/LB TRD Sport

What else do i need to demand they do?

9. Jul 14, 2009 at 9:13 PM
    AlerAero

AlerAero Equipment MFG

Member:
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4
    BakFlip Folding Tonneau, Locking bed storage compartments, Bug/rock guard, Anytime backup cam mod, Hitch + wiring
    Um ya the 3 to 4-leaf pack TSB was a fun issue to talk my local Dealers!!!

My dealer is like "I know nothing of about the Yellow sitcker or this TSB"

I asked what about the load handling issue of bottoming out and not able to carry a full load? He said "You just need to felx them a bit they are just stiff!" I said I don't have that kind of issue (rough ride), I said I was refering to the fact when I have 700 lbs in the bed I bottom out. He goes in to well you need to take in account your weight and GVWR and bla bla bla, I said I was well under my GVWR, (I have a scale by my home, easy access, I should have been able to have another 300lbs with me and a full tank) He said he has no knowlage of any issue. I showed him the TSB and hes like oh that, that for the 05 to 08's does not consern your 09'... I was like well the issue still exists. He said nothing he can do to help. I tryed a few differnet Dealers in my area and same BS!

So I got a Helwig Load pro AAL! Solved the issue, great ride and level under full weight! I'm not 2 to 2.5 inch higher when empty if that says anything, call it a lift is you want!

10. Jul 15, 2009 at 4:08 AM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    It is my understanding that the Hellwig's are designed to off set the load capacity, NOT to provide lift. A more traditional AAL (inserted into leaf pack) is probably a better option for ya, if you want lift.

11. Jul 15, 2009 at 7:05 AM
    thecreeper

thecreeper Well-Known Member

Member:
    yeah good luck, the dealers i've dealt with play dumb...or they are just difficult to deal with and their policy is to deny everything... go figure.

12. Jul 15, 2009 at 4:41 PM
    AlerAero

AlerAero Equipment MFG

Member:
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4
    BakFlip Folding Tonneau, Locking bed storage compartments, Bug/rock guard, Anytime backup cam mod, Hitch + wiring
    First I was not doing a lift, just wanted to be able to carry what I should be able to with out bottoming out all the time!

I don't know what your talking about the stealership's playing dumb! They are Dumb!!

After I gave up on the Stealerships I got the Helwig 990's (part#981 for the Taco) They are a full leaf that is place between the Axle and 3 leaf stack and I decided to not go with the LP15's that come in two parts, I had them on my Ranger and they had to be moved back into place all the time till I made a bracket to tie across the axle.

Anyways.... I happened to notice after putting them on and adjusting them, that they were immedately helping. My rear leafs before were strait/flat with no curve to them at all without any load in the bed. And now they have a propper arch to them. I have not noticed any handleing change other then the back is higher. I did this several month and over 2k ago. I measured to the top of the wheel well and sure enough its 2 inches more then before at 37" and even better I don't have the "lean" that I had before. If I wanted more hight I'd just have to tighten them down more but as I said before it was not my intention to raise the over all hight of my Taco!

Ok now I have to ask what is with everyone having the same profile photo on here?

13. Jul 15, 2009 at 5:43 PM
    cntmdc

cntmdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 "Super White"
    Undercover Toneau cover, Billet Grill, bug deflector,Fog light Mod,Nerf bars,17" TRD Sport wheels, stainless mirror covers,LED Guage cluster "Blue",SS Front Skid Plate,Custom "SOCKMONKEY" SR5 Decals, OEM TRD SS exhaust tip,shorty antenna,Clarion DVD Head unit,Bilstein 5100's Front shocks,Toytec 2"AAL,Custom Racing Stripe hood,roof & tail gate
    (1)Ditto on : what is with everyone having the same profile photo on here?
    (2)I had the same crap story that my truck didn't qualify BC it's a 2009,even though my springs were the same # and model that the TSB stated.It's been about 1.5 months since the issue was brought up with the dealer and I've been too busy to mess with them right now.I think I'm going to load the bed of the truck up with sand or mulch and let them see it for themselves.Another thing that I saw on another TSB post was the manufactured date clause mine was assembled on July 2008,since the TSB issue is for 2008 models maybe that could be another angle to get it.
    (3) Again look at question#1:cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top