1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can someone QA/QC my wiring diagram for front/rear camera and nav override

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Hextall, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Jan 28, 2018 at 2:34 PM
    Hextall

Hextall [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno OR DCSB
    Hello,

I have a 3rd gen OR. I bought the two harnesses from anytimebackupcamera.com, a DPDT switch (Ebay), a CH4x4 custom switch, the iNewcow camera that fits in the grill logo. After a couple weeks gathering info here and on youtube, I finally got around to drawing up a wiring diagram for this mod.

Would someone mind taking a look and letting me know if anything is wrong. Specifically the wiring for the DPDT switch? I ignored diagramming the pins and internal wiring for the harnesses (bypass and auxillary harnesses), assuming anytimebackup got them right (I think a pretty good assumption, many people seem to be using them). The only thing I'll have to do is break the wire for pin 17 with a switch.

The DPDT switch is on-off-on, so my intention is to switch it to the right, and only the rear camera override comes on. Switch to the left, and the front camera gets power, the relay from the anytimebackup kit selects the front camera as the source (the rear camera is the default source). And while I'm in there, I thought I'd just do the nav override, which is just a break in the wire for pin 17.

I've only seen diagrams of people providing power and override/selection on two switches, but I think I drew this up such I can use only a single DPDT switch for the cameras.

Thanks.

Front Camera, anytime rear camera%2Fnav.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jan 30, 2018 at 4:45 PM
    TDizzy009

TDizzy009 New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OffRoad
    Im looking into this as well. Keep me updated if u find additional info. I'll keep you posted as well on my findings.

Hextall[OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 31, 2018 at 6:53 AM
    Hextall

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno OR DCSB
    I had Brian at anytimebackup review this, and he didn't find anything out of wack. He has a DPDT switch diagram on his site that uses the override harness voltage to power the relay for the front camera. But he also suggested wiring the camera to a circuit that comes on when the truck comes on. He thought that there might be some lag of the front camera providing an image if I had it come on the same time I turn on the override. I asked someone here who has the same iNewcow camera, and he never noticed any lag. But I'm going to keep the camera power and source selection on a different loop than the override.

4. Jul 30, 2018 at 1:29 PM
    wink4x4

wink4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Offroad
    @Hextall Using the pic from "anytime backup camera", you ran the long wire to ONLY #2 and used #5 for the red wire instead of #6?

upload_2018-7-30_16-23-7.jpg

5. Jul 30, 2018 at 1:49 PM
    Hextall

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno OR DCSB
    yeah, I think his diagram has you turning on the front camera if you click to the right... I wanted front to turn on when I click to the left.

for the 1,2,3 side, you just want to activate that circuit. I separated the poles by top and bottom... top tells the screen to show a camera, the bottom poles figure out which camera to turn on... and that really means only activating the relay when you want the front one.

I didn't get why he had the long wire also go to #5 on his diagram. I couldn't make sense of that. All I could think was that he was providing power to the relay via the long wire from the harness.

I provided power to the relay directly from the battery (or in my case a fuse box), but that might have been becuaes I initially tried to wire the camera in series with the relay. That didn't work because the camera draw I think was not contant, and as such it flickered the relay causing my screen to flicker with rear and front camera views. I since put the camera on its own circuit that gets activated when the truck starts and is separate from all this.

wink4x4 likes this.
  6. Jul 30, 2018 at 3:43 PM
    mctechhweng

mctechhweng Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport V6.
    Audio: Focal PC165, Focal KX2, JL VX800/8i, Pioneer AVIC-8200.
    The diagram isn't well documented enough for me to provide input. I could give you some feedback if all the signals were labeled and the internal diagram for the relay/DPDT was more clear.

Or you could give me the a link to the datasheet for the switch/relay and then label the wires.

I want to see something like this for the switch and similar for the relay. Also very important to know the function of all the wires you're splicing into etc.
    168txxe_ee52afd5ce8cd8a402f475a61f4573241c30a9ff.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  7. Jul 30, 2018 at 4:36 PM
    Hextall

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno OR DCSB
    This is an old thread... I did the install already .

Products Discussed in

To Top