1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can you put chains on the front wheels? The manual says to put them on the rear.

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by GDW, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Dec 5, 2016 at 12:02 PM
    GDW

GDW [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma, Sport
    Bed cap
    Can you put chains on the front wheels? The manual says to put the on the rear, but doesn't specifically say not to put them on the front.

2. Dec 5, 2016 at 12:04 PM
    Pittrider

Pittrider Pitty, those needing correction.

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM LTD LB
    Do you need to know, or care?
    Toyota does not recommend. Clearances are too tight for chains in the front.

specter208, VE7OSR and Stopmithering like this.
  3. Dec 5, 2016 at 12:09 PM
    pra4sno

pra4sno Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR MT. Previously 2013 DCSB SR5
    Short answer? Don't do it.

Long answer? There are some low profile brands that use a lot of rubber and not a lot of chain, that if you run wheel spacers can manage. STILL, that risk is far too high and there are no benefits to running the chains on the front and rear over just getting a set of studded winters.

Why? Brake lines, ABS, control arms, tie rods...everything that matters in your suspension is at risk of getting seriously, seriously ripped up.

I have seen this first hand on a newer 4Runner. Guy thought he knew better than everyone, and then a tire chain loosened up after about 15 miles on loveland pass during a snowstorm and ripped out his brake line. He pumped and pumped his brake pedal, emptying his brake fluid onto the road before completely loosing braking. Then, he smartly pulled his e-brake, bring his back end around and putting him into a semi trailer. What a mess.

Good tire chains are pricey anyways. If you want that super premium traction, get a set of studded winter tires and call it a day. With only a set of rear chains on the good news is you can stop on most declines, and you can get traction to get up inclines. The truck won't come around on you, and worst case scenario you just have to park it for a bit until the plows dump enough sand your front end can keep you in a straight line.

4. Dec 5, 2016 at 12:10 PM
    GDW

GDW [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma, Sport
    Bed cap
    Would it work with a lift?

5. Dec 5, 2016 at 12:12 PM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Democratic Peoples Republik of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser, 98 Landcruiser
    Stuff
    It's the clearance to the afore mentioned items between the frame and.wheel that are of concern.

VE7OSR likes this.
  6. Dec 5, 2016 at 12:13 PM
    Pittrider

Pittrider Pitty, those needing correction.

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM LTD LB
    Do you need to know, or care?
    From the manual...

Tire chain installation

Observe the following precautions when installing and removing chains:

●Install and remove tire chains in a safe location.

●Install tire chains on the rear tires. Do not install tire chains on the front tires.

●Install tire chains on rear tires as tightly as possible. Retighten chains after

driving 1/4  1/2 mile (0.5  1.0 km).

●Install tire chains following the instructions provided with the tire chains.

7. Dec 5, 2016 at 12:14 PM
    GDW

GDW [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma, Sport
    Bed cap
    I want to use the truck off road for hunting and having the traction pulling works best. I have done this for years with my 96 Bronco and never ripped out anything. It does have a 3" lift.

8. Dec 5, 2016 at 12:16 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    The problem on the front is everything that the chains can interfere with. If you feel you must run chains on the front, get wheel spacers to add a little bit of distance between the tires and all the components.

9. Dec 5, 2016 at 12:18 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    x2

I'd be curios to see the clearance between the chain and UCA with stock wheels.

10. Dec 5, 2016 at 12:19 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    clearance on the inside between the tire/wheel and your upper A Arm is the issue. Front chains need to be on tight; as mentioned if they come off the chain will wrap itself typically around your swaybar mount, cv joint, and brake lines causing all sorts of damage. You would use front chains to get you out of a problem spot offroad, where rear tire chains are just not enough, then once the problem is solved, remove them. At a max speed of 30mph, you would never have enough reaction time to stop before a front tire chain coming off does damage. At inches of speed while offroading, you have a moment to stop before damage occurs assuming a spotter, or the driver recognize what is happening when you notice the extra resistance, or extra noise as a tire chain coming off. That said, Yes, chains on the front will help you get of a muddy, or icy spot, in addition to chains on the rear assuming you have the wheel well clearance to do so.

11. Dec 5, 2016 at 12:20 PM
    pra4sno

Member:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Bronco is solid axle in front, right? Solid axle setups can almost always clear chains as long as there is enough fender well room. I'm also legitimately asking about if they are all solid axle on 4x4 models - I can't see Ford running anything IFS on something that heavy and during the 90's.

Tacoma is IFS, which has no clearance for front chains unless modified.

Here's a thread that might help with finding more traction for a winter setup within the limitations of an IFS system:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/dedicated-winter-tire-rim-set-ups.458402/

You sound like you have a lot of experience with chains, so you might find a unique solution to running them. The challenges I've seen of chains on-road, or off road for distances more than just a few miles is that they always adjust. Loosening, breaking links/hooks, and stretching tensioners is so common that I would never risk damaging critical components in the search of this extra traction.
    The tacoma's rear axle (locker engaged) with chains has provided a lot of traction for me.

You may be well served by a set of aggressive mud terrains for your uses as well. Not sure, just offering some ideas.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  12. Dec 5, 2016 at 12:23 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    Another option is to get some mud tires and different wheels to run when you are going hunting and switch back when you aren't.

pra4sno likes this.
  13. Dec 5, 2016 at 4:31 PM
    Sagebrush

Sagebrush Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Double Cab Tacoma OR
    Stock plus a topper
    Coincidently, I tried fitting my v-bar chains today on my front.

Nope, there's not enough room. Glad I tried it in my front yard and not on the hill. I know there's S-chains (for limited space) that may work.

SB

p.s. turn your front tires and take a look...

14. Dec 5, 2016 at 4:32 PM
    Riding Dirty

Riding Dirty Sinner; saved by grace

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Before: '16 TRD OR 4x4 AC QS//After: 17 T4R Pro 040
    PlastiDip
    Anybody in the know, what is a good set of chains to get? Don't want to get cheap crap, I need some good ones to keep in my truck.

15. Dec 5, 2016 at 4:38 PM
    Sagebrush

Sagebrush Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Double Cab Tacoma OR
    Stock plus a topper
    I can't give you the answer, but I just bought a set Titans this afternoon. The cam tighteners look like a good deal (watch the video). My current rubber tighteners have seen better days. I could have used them yesterday.

http://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains/Titan-Chain/TC2828CAM.html

SB

Riding Dirty[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Dec 5, 2016 at 4:40 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Mud Terrains would be really bad news in icy conditions, where chains excel. Deep snow the challenge is the amount of drag underneath the truck, once the snow reaches bumper height, though the mud terrains will get you into that depth of snow.

17. Dec 5, 2016 at 5:25 PM
    pra4sno

Member:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    You're definitely right about the muds on ice. My experience with chains is that they improve ice traction, but soft rubber snow tires with studs are better on road and ice than any tire with chains. Again, that's only my experience in MN, NY, and CO winter driving but I'm sure it varies.

That being said, the OP said he wants the traction in snow off road, which is where deep lugs on muds would outperform an light all terrain or stock tires with no chains.

VE7OSR[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Dec 5, 2016 at 5:29 PM
    RIDERED67

RIDERED67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFFROAD QUICKSAND, DCLB, TECH
    If you can do it and still have enough clearance than yes, 4WD vehicles benefit from having chains on the front because they will let you steer on ice

Mattynokes likes this.
  19. Nov 14, 2017 at 4:22 PM
    ajhod

ajhod Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    2016 V6 Tacoma Off Road w/technology package/tow package/Inferno
    Leer 100 XR Topper with Thule Aerobars
    OK Mr Ft Collins...question for you. I'm moving to Colorado Springs next summer. Do people generally run winter tires in Colorado Springs? In the last decade+ we've generally lived places where that's the norm. I've never lived anywhere like Colorado Springs though-which I hear doesn't get that much snow in the town, but is close to the mountains which get a lot of snow.

20. Nov 14, 2017 at 6:33 PM
    Toyoland66

Toyoland66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 GX470
    5100s, OME 885/895, 255/80r17 Toyo AT2
    It snows then a day or two later it melts (typically). I have never run snow tires on any vehicle, just all season type tires year round. Others may disagree...

Products Discussed in

To Top