1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cancelling "check engine" light

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Fireguy67, May 22, 2010.

1. May 22, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    Fireguy67

Fireguy67 [OP] Rebecca and Willow's Opa

Member:
    First Name:
    Klaus
    Maple Ridge, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 4X4 4 door long bed TRD sport
    No mods- running boards, vent visors all around ,Leer XQ Cap, hood deflector,bed extender, OEM roof rack, Toyota bed mat.Nothing fancy!
    I searched all through the threads and can't find the answer- if there is one.
    I had a faulty gas cap which activated the "check engine" light. (It was an after-market, lockable cap) Found this out after pulling into a Toyota dealer when I was out of town, after they scanned it. They told me to replace the cap when I got home and they cancelled out the C.E. light on the dash. I was just going to buy the proper cap but they had none in stock. Just prior to getting home the light came on again. Once I got home I replaced the cap with the original Toyota non-locking cap. The dealer had told me that the light would go out after a few miles but its starting to piss me off. Is there a way to cancel out the check engine light after repairs have been made without a computer scan tool? Where I live is a boat ride and many miles from a Toyota dealer. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. Thanks FG67

2. May 22, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    unhook the battery for a few minutes

you'll have to reset your radio and clock and your trip meter will reset...but it should clear out the CEL

3. May 22, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    Fireguy67

Member:
    First Name:
    Klaus
    Maple Ridge, BC
    Vehicle:
    No mods- running boards, vent visors all around ,Leer XQ Cap, hood deflector,bed extender, OEM roof rack, Toyota bed mat.Nothing fancy!
    will try it thanks

4. May 22, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    s10nick

s10nick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nick
    Greeley, CO
    Vehicle:
    base mod. debaged
    3inch hbs lift toytec diff drop grillcraft grill hella 500s conv. to 8k hids xentec hid head light conv. 5% tint more to come
    go to an autozone or something and they will clear it for you

5. May 22, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    Not they wont they send you to the dealer, they say that only the dealer can cancel it and the dealer wants like $80 for it, I just waited a couple days and the computer corrected it after I fixed the problem.

6. May 22, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    straycat241

straycat241 maXXXed out mid travel

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD off road 4x2
    airaid intake, jba headers, jba exhaust, DMZ enginecage, King 2.5 coilovers , 1.25camburg uca's, total chaos lca's, shock hoops with Icon 2.5 piggybacks, camburg 4.0 Spindles, Defined engineering SUA, King 2.5" Shocks w/Reservoir, King 2.5 Bumpstops,shocktacobumper,moto metal 951's, compartment locks, blackgrill,Glassworks fenders front and rear,ViS racing glass hood,PIAA 510s,hella 500's,black rebadge,fabtech spare tire holder,tailgate delete,mudflaps delete,cobra 19 ultra iii
    this just happend to me my old gas cap had dirt in it so i bought a new one no more check engine light the dealer wanted $150 for a new cap and a c.e.l clear i bought a new cap for $14 lol

7. May 22, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    Fireguy67

Member:
    First Name:
    Klaus
    Maple Ridge, BC
    Vehicle:
    Thank you all- particularly tigerfan00.I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and no more CEL. Drove it for a few miles and all seems OK.

8. May 22, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
  9. May 22, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    rvcahawaii808

rvcahawaii808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    beaverton
    Vehicle:
    04 limited T4R 4x4
    i thought that by pressing and holding the odo and trip buttons in a certain order would clear it. one of my dads friends is a toyota dealer and thats what he told us to do on our 4runner whenever the light came on.

10. May 22, 2010 at 3:05 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    Yes I have done this but cannot find the thread.turn key all the way forward without starting the vehicle. push the trip button until the odometer shows and then hold it down until it reads XXXXX or something and then while still holding it you turn the key off all the way and then let go of button. next time you turn the key on the light should be off.

its been a while but that is how i remember it. i'm going to look for the thread again to be sure.

Edit: Ok so it was for the Maintenance required light. you said check engine light. those are different lights i believe.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/121-latest-generation-tacomas-reset-maint-reqd-light.html

11. May 22, 2010 at 3:24 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Yup, wrong light :D

12. May 22, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    yep and the link didnt turn out right:) oh well i would definitely be disconnecting the battery before paying a dime.

ive tried everytinkg to get the link to work but nothing works. i even copied the one i followed to get to it and still no luck!

its by KilitedChicken called latest tacoma generation Tacoma's. reset of "maint reqd" light

13. May 23, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    ianc

ianc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ian
    mass
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5 trd

You are indeed clearing the mil, but you are also clearing system readiness and if you need an emissions sticker you won't get one until all systems are ready. If the mil is system readiness and global OBD II should read codes. There is a problem with one of the systems and when the computer gets to this specific portion of the drive cycle it fails it. This is when the light will come on. I takes a week of normal driving city/highway to meet most system readiness. We have 2001 f250 at the airport that have never passed system readiness because they never go over 20 MPH.

Products Discussed in

To Top