1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Canon EOS R5!

Discussion in 'Photography' started by StevenP, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Jul 10, 2020 at 1:48 PM
    StevenP

StevenP [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Alta, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma DCSB TRD
    Build thread in Signature
    So I did a thing, pre-ordered the Canon EOS R5 yesterday as soon as I got the notice from B&H that it was available for pre-order.

I used to be pretty into photography about 20 years ago when I was just barely a teenager and then got into other things that took me away from it. I dated a girl who had the EOS R and I found myself really wanting to get back into it, but didn’t need my own set up since she has the R. Well that ended right around the time the rumors for a pro level R were surfacing, and figured I’d wait and see what came of it.

Now I’m obviously no pro, but as a quick learner who tends to go all in on things, I appreciate products that have a high ceiling. It’s a pretty expensive camera, but I hope to get years of fun out of it and a return to a healthy hobby, so I pulled the trigger.

Super excited to pick it up and re-learn what I once knew and continue increasing my knowledge and skill set from there!

Just thought I’d pop in and share my excitement here, and see if anyone else is excited about this camera and/or going to be picking one up.

See y’all around!

JoeTacoma02 likes this.
  2. Sep 7, 2020 at 9:22 PM
    5150Bronco

5150Bronco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab-Special Order.
    That’s awesome!

What a great piece of gear to get started!

StevenP[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 30, 2020 at 10:49 AM
    STrooper

STrooper For HIS glory!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport QuickSand / 2020 TRD Sport Cement!
    Im very tempted on the R6 myself, however i hate that both R5 and R6 have the overheating issues. Im still debating whether buying the R6 or the Sony A7iii.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    StevenP[OP] likes this.
  4. Nov 30, 2020 at 10:41 PM
    5150Bronco

5150Bronco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab-Special Order.
    R6 is nice and I think it is better but depends what you are doing. Main control I like better on R6 and card slot setup...

STrooper likes this.
  5. Dec 1, 2020 at 6:33 AM
    STrooper

STrooper For HIS glory!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport QuickSand / 2020 TRD Sport Cement!
    Quite honest, Im going to use it to its limit for video and also pictures etc. So, reliability is also a top priority. I did some research last night and Sony seems to be more reliable since is been leading the mirrorless world as of now. However, I do love the menu on the Canon and the lenses selection they offer. I wish someone with experience can chime in on either or in here.

6. Dec 1, 2020 at 6:46 AM
    StevenP

StevenP [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Alta, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma DCSB TRD
    Build thread in Signature
    I love the R5, but I will say that I’m not out there conducting it as a professional, so while I’ve never had overheating issues and doubt I ever would with the recent fixes, I am not pushing it to the limits shooting 8k commercials or weddings or things of that nature.

For what I do, amateur photography and occasional video capture, it’s absolutely amazing and carries a really high skill ceiling for me to grow into, which I look at as an investment and motivation.

And truth be told, from what I can gather, these new Canon and Sony mirrorless cameras are all pretty phenomenal, I’m not sure you can really go wrong either way.

7. Dec 4, 2020 at 8:28 AM
    JoeTacoma02

JoeTacoma02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I got the R6 and love it! Shot crop sensors for about 10 years then finally got myself the 5D MKIII as a fathers day gift for myself. Shortly after I read and heard about the R5/R6. Did more reading into it and knew I had to have it. I don't do videos much so don't see myself pushing it to its limits in that area but definitely love the sharpness and high iso performance when it comes to pictures. Don't think I'm ever going back to DSLR if I am to ever upgrade.

Hope you're still enjoying your R5 and hope you will for many years to come.

StevenP[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top