1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Canon M5 or Canon 80D

Discussion in 'Photography' started by kevinlambchops, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Nov 28, 2016 at 6:13 PM
    kevinlambchops

kevinlambchops [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canon recently released a mirrorless M5 which packs very similar specs to their DSLR 80D. I have been reading up on it as much as I can but can't quite decide. I want to upgrade from a T2I. The 80D seems to fit the bill, it was on my wishlist for awhile until i saw the release of the M5. I don't shoot sports, just mainly document life events/traveling. The M5 would be ideal for that because it's smaller and easier to carry around. The downsides is battery life but that isn't too big of an issue for me, I can carry around extra batteries. What I'm more concerned with is image quality and overall quality of the camera. Anyone have any insight on this?

2. Dec 11, 2016 at 8:11 PM
    1MK

1MK Desert Explorer

Member:
    Southern California
    Picked up a M5 and absolutely love it!

I honestly don't think it'll compete with a 80d if you need to rely on it for sports/birds/etc. But if you want something compact and capable of most shots, the M5 is great.

I've gone through quite a few camera's, and no matter how bitchin' they are, if they're too big or a chore to lug around, they get left at home. Ever since I went mirrorless I find myself bringing the camera everywhere.

Size matters.

DSC08425.jpg

Dalandser and kevinlambchops[OP] like this.
  3. Dec 13, 2016 at 1:57 AM
    kevinlambchops

kevinlambchops [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Good to hear, it was just released so I wanted to wait for some reviews before I made the purchase. I don't really shoot sports/birds so I think I should go mirrorless. I want it to mainly bring it around to document my life and take pictures when I travel for memories. I wanted the 80D because of the specs but I think a mirrorless will do just fine for what I need.

4. Dec 13, 2016 at 2:24 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Depends on what features you're looking for. If that 24 mp sensor is what you want then go for it. My 60d is perfect for what you mentioned you like to shoot, but it's got the 18 mp sensor. I had the 70d and preferred my 60d. Never used any of the functions that they put in it compared to the 60d.

With the 60d's 6 less mp you could save around $850 as I've gotten 3 new in box 60d's with lense etc. for $650 - $700 two years ago on CL for a film project (would have searched eBay if I didn't live in LA - used camera capital of the world lol). That could buy a pretty nice new lens for your arsenal. For video I've been thinking about getting a mirrorless... Hopefully you get something that suits all your needs for a reasonable price! Here are some samples of photos taken with my 60d. Sigma 17-50 2.8 for close ups, Rokinon ultra wide angle, and cannon 18-200mm.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top