1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Canopy/Camper Shell/Bed Topper Fitment question

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by WaGood24, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Feb 10, 2012 at 5:49 AM
    WaGood24

WaGood24 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Dayton, OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab PreRunner TRD Sport
    Extang Full Tilt tonneau, VX Series Exhaust, Nitto Terra Grapplers, Stainless Nerf Bars, Bilstein 5100s all 4 corners, rear-leaf TSB
    I'm looking for a canopy for my 2nd Gen DC to secure my home goods for a cross country move. I plan on getting rid of it when I get to my new location so I'm not really concerned with looks. My question is: do only canopies made for Tacomas fit on our trucks? Or can I also get a canopy off of a ford, chevy, dodge, etc?

2. Feb 10, 2012 at 5:50 AM
    Geo Taco

Geo Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Lafayette, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Subie Impreza
    Black Softopper
    All major toppers will be designed to fit specific models.

3. Feb 10, 2012 at 5:53 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    You could buy one for another vehicle of the measurements are close, however you obviously aren't going to get the fit you would with a vehicle specific cap. Since it sounds like it will be short term...I don't see why not, just research the measurements.

Why not get one that fits and keep it? I love my cap and it stays on all the time unless I need to transport something tall which is rare because I usually just use my trailer for tall stuff.

4. Feb 10, 2012 at 5:57 AM
    Geo Taco

Geo Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Lafayette, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Subie Impreza
    Black Softopper
    I will also throw out this question: Will you be spending the night along the way? I ask because I have a Softopper and really love it. It is simple to install and remove completely for storage. It is also less expensive and less weight than a fiberglass shell. The only major difference is security, the Softopper has none. And there is a slight potential for water getting in through the seams. I've had mine in a torrential downpour while camping and only a tiny fraction of water got in.

5. Feb 10, 2012 at 6:06 AM
    WaGood24

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Dayton, OH
    Vehicle:
    Extang Full Tilt tonneau, VX Series Exhaust, Nitto Terra Grapplers, Stainless Nerf Bars, Bilstein 5100s all 4 corners, rear-leaf TSB
    The primary reason I don't want to get one and keep it is cost. I have a tonneau cover that's nice and easy to remove as well and I can't afford the $600-$1200 for a nice camper shell right now. I'm in the military and moving and I get paid to move by the weight of my stuff and that's why I want a shell for the move - so I can pack it fuller and keep it better secured.

We will be spending a few nights along the way but the bed space is for household goods. The security isn't a deal breaker I really just want something to help me pack my truck bed as full as possible for the move.

6. Feb 10, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    WaGood24,

I suggest going to a cap/canopy dealer and looking at their used caps. Also look at Craigslist. A used cap can be had relatiely cheap($50-200) if you are not too concerned about a perfect fit, color matching. The foam, rubber seals will keep most water out even if the fit is not perfect.

A used aluminum cap may be a good choice for your needs as well since you plan to get rid of it later.

I am running my 1st generation cap on my 2nd generation truck. No the fit is not perfect, but it protects things in the bed from theft and weather.

7. Feb 10, 2012 at 6:34 AM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I had to remove the Toyota bed rails to install mine. just unscrew the rails, stow the rails and put the screws back in the holes for safe keeping until you need them again. The rails got in the way of the mounting clamps.

8. Feb 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    WaGood24

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Dayton, OH
    Vehicle:
    Oh ok, thanks. That was my main question, can you make a cap work on a Tacoma that was built for an S-10 persay. How do most truck caps get secured ot the truck?

9. Feb 10, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    A dealer will have a fancy version of a C-clamp. Or, you can just use small C-clamps. Use at least 4 of them, 6 if you wish. Just clamp the bed cap to the truck bed.

Take a tape measure with you to look at any possible bed caps. Measure the width of the cap at the bottom and compare it to your truck. As long as it wide enough to clamp down, it should work.

I had to push my bed cap back a bit because of the angle of the truck cab to keep it from rubbing. I over hang about an inch in the back. I had a custom made tailgate protector made that closes this overhang. You may not even want or need to bother with that.

10. Feb 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I just noticed your location, Dayton. There is a very large RV and truck cap dealer right on Indiana/Ohio border, first exit off I-70 in Indiana. Check them out for used truck caps if you do not find anything in Dayton area. Jerry Raper I think is the name of the dealer. It may be Tom Raper.

Products Discussed in

To Top