1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can't solve misfire

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by betabox, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Sep 30, 2016 at 11:43 AM
    betabox

betabox [OP] New Member

Member:
    02 v6 4x4 auto.
    Check engine light came on for cylinder 5 misfire.
    Since it is getting in the way high miles now, decided to do a tune up anyway.
    Replaced cylinder 5 coil, Spark plugs, wires, cylinder 5 fuel injector, fuel filter.
    After all that I still get cyl 5 misfire. Changed coil to cylinder 2, fuel injector to cylinder 1. Still get cyl 5 misfire.
    Am I looking at needing to do a leak down test for burnt valves? Truck doesn't smoke or anything so I assume compression is ok.
    Anything else I am missing?
    If it was wiring going to cyl 5 coil I would think I'd get a code for cyl 2 misfire as well since they both run off the same coil.

2. Sep 30, 2016 at 11:48 AM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On the old 3.0 V6 that corner used to get really hot and burn valves, the 3.4 is a little better, but there are cases of headgasket failures and valves burning.

A compression test and a leak down test would definitely be the next step.

SOMDTACO likes this.
  3. Sep 30, 2016 at 12:16 PM
    Broke Okie Ty

Broke Okie Ty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    California/Oregon/ Now in Montana
    Vehicle:
    01 trd with some stuff
    Armor, winch, other stuff
    I have had this very same problem. I did a tune up and it turned out that the spark plug had a hair crack in the ceramic shoulder. It was arcing out the side on the block rather than down at the electrode like it's supposed to. I didn't notice it when I installed it, but when I pulled it out there was obvious discoloring from the ceramic getting hot. I went and bought a new plug and good as new. Check it for a crack, and if you can't find one just go get a new one and try that. Who knows how those parts are treated before consumers get them.

Products Discussed in

To Top