1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cap Opinions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Pugga, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Oct 4, 2010 at 12:06 PM
    Pugga

Pugga [OP] Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I've got a double cab with the 5' bed and have recently been toying with the idea of getting a cap. I've got a few questions for those of you who already made the decision:
    1) I have a sport bike, have any of you hauled a motorcycle with the cap on? Does it have enough clearance? I know the cab-high ones aren't high enough but wasn't sure about the models that stick up above the cab, how much more clearance do you really gain?
    2) Are they water tight? I currently have a roll-up tonneau and it does ok keeping things dry in the rain, but I wouldn't put a sleeping bag back there unless it was in a garbage bag.
    3) I got a quote from a local place. It seems like the basic cab-high ones start around $1,000 and go up from there depending on the model and options you chose. (This includes painting to match). Does this sound like a reasonable price range, I've never priced one out before. I've found used ones in the 7-800 range but I'd end up spending a couple hundred at least for paint so I figure I might as well just go new.

Any other input, advice, opinions would be appreciated if you've noticed something with your cap vs a soft tonneau. A hard tonneau isn't an option for me as they limit the usage of the bed too much. Thanks

2. Oct 4, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I love mine. Around here $1000 is the price not painted or installed. I wouldn't call it water tight but the little bit that leaks in is negligible. I doubt it would wet your sleeping bag through and through. I would get the one with that fold down window (near the cab) to make it easier to clean.

3. Oct 4, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    I had a cap on previous truck, ( cab high), everytime I needed to haul something it would never fit. I would just get a nice roll up bed cover so you can actually use the truck.

They're nice if you camp a lot, but a pain if you haul a lot.

4. Oct 4, 2010 at 12:35 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I've got a SnugTop SuperSport. It doesn't have enough height for a bike to stand up but it's water tight and fits my needs. If you do decide to get one get the fold down front window...makes cleaning the windows easy and theirs nothing between the cab and shell to ruin your paint.

5. Oct 4, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Great info with the fold down window. I wouldn't even consider the boot, seems like its begging for paint damage.

I currently have a vinyl roll-up and have always had them on my pick-ups. The problem is the short bed doesn't leave much room for storage under the cover. My main concern with the cap is hauling the motorcycle. Thankfully I only haul it twice a year, once to put it away for the winter and again when it comes out in the spring. Otherwise, I do camp a lot and having to bring all the gear along with the dog, I usually end up rolling up the tonneau cover and using a tarp for more capacity. The problem is, zero security with the current set-up.

Good info! The quote I got was for the 100R which is cab-high. It's nice to know I'm not getting screwed on price though. Which model do you have?

6. Oct 4, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I have the ARE V series I think. I bought it used from a member on here, its an 06 model, cab high.

7. Oct 4, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    PS... My sons Honda CRF 100 didnt fit. The truck was a dakota.

8. Oct 4, 2010 at 3:04 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    for water tight nice a pickup bed will always let water in. There is front drain holes that will let water in when driving and the tail gate does not seal so that can also let water in.

9. Oct 4, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I know, I'm speaking in reletive terms. I've got the tailgate seals so it latches up fairly well and 2 out of 3 of the front drain holes are plugged with D-rings (I drilled them out a little larger and put d-rings for a motorcycle tie down point). The only place the soft tonneau lets water in is at the front because the front of the bed is lower than the rails and the front rail is essentially floating. I've got a piece of foam stuffed in there for now and it helps. Otherwise the back is pretty tight with the tail gate seal and the tonneau dust seal.

Products Discussed in

To Top