1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Car Insurance Help

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by dud122, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Feb 19, 2009 at 4:31 AM
    dud122

dud122 [OP] rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    OME up front, Dakar in the back, Elite front bumper, Warn winch, Tactical rear bumper with tire swing/jerry cans/hi lift, Revenge Fab. sliders, Tundra brakes, Camburg UCA's, Safari Snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, Lights, CB, Switches, skids, LED's... OH MY!
    Hi all

I guess I am fairly clueless when it comes to this stuff but I am pretty shocked...

right now my gf and I own (no payments) my 02 tacoma and her 06 matrix and we pay about 980 every 6 months for car insurance and we live in east podunk, NY and have a 500 deductible. my gf insists on higher coverage too. We have progressive and out of the 5 levels of coverage i think we have #4.

i just got a quote for our insurance (with progressive) when we move to Baltimore and it says my gf and I for our 2 cars will be paying around 1900 with a 500 deductible every 6 months :eek::eek::eek:

WTF!!!

even if we go down a level or 2 with coverage it only drops it by ~20 per level. is this what i should expect to pay in a city or should I be looking for a better price???

who do you guys go with and what is your cost?

any tricks to get this lower??

2. Feb 19, 2009 at 4:53 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    :eek:

shop around most definitely, but age and zip code will move car insurance rates drastically...

3. Feb 19, 2009 at 4:57 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Mine dropped a couple hundred just by moving across town....definately shop around that is about all you can really do.

4. Feb 19, 2009 at 5:01 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    Get married. It drops a lot. Somehow they figure it makes people safer drivers. They don't consider the "I am SO PISSED AT HER" factor that makes us drive off cliffs.

5. Feb 19, 2009 at 5:03 AM
    dud122

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    OME up front, Dakar in the back, Elite front bumper, Warn winch, Tactical rear bumper with tire swing/jerry cans/hi lift, Revenge Fab. sliders, Tundra brakes, Camburg UCA's, Safari Snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, Lights, CB, Switches, skids, LED's... OH MY!
    yeah... everything is kinda stacked against us.... not married, both have speeding tickets, under 25, in a city....it sucks

6. Feb 19, 2009 at 5:15 AM
    dud122

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    can you guys suggestion some different insurers??

the more places i can shop around the better.

7. Feb 19, 2009 at 5:17 AM
    nurseboy

nurseboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan
    Riverside, Ca
    i have http://www.wawanesa.com/ insurance, but theyre only limited to california and oregan. I got really good coverage, best insurance I found. My friend recommended them and they beat everyone by couple hundred dollars. I like them because covereage is 1 full year.

8. Feb 19, 2009 at 5:18 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Geico
    USAA
    AAA insurance (my folks have it and say it is phenomenal...)

9. Feb 19, 2009 at 5:39 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Another thing you can consider is adjusting your deductible- Higher Deductible=Lower Premium. It will help you that you have multiple cars. Are you buying a house down there or renting? Because insuring your home or getting renters insurance thru the same company will regularly get you an overall lower rate

Stick with bigger name companies- you might find a smaller company/local place that is cheaper- but they may not have as good a record on paying out for claims.

Gieco, USAA (if it's an option), State Farm, AAA.

And good on your girlfriend for insisting on the higher limit coverages. You don't ever want to have to use it...but if you need it and don't have it things go from bad to worse.

10. Feb 19, 2009 at 5:42 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    They do base it on zip code. I moved from Orlando, Florida back to West Virginia and my insurance went up. I was pissed because Orlando is the wreck capital of the world in my eyes. End up finding out the reason was because in the state of WV that year there was over 20,000 claims for people hitting deer with their vehicles.

11. Feb 19, 2009 at 6:09 AM
    cadman

cadman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pensacola, Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRD PreRunner
    do each of you have seperate policies? get quote with yoour car on her policy and vice-versa multi car discounts help alot, also discounts are given for credit union membership. have you taken a safe drivers course?

ask the insurance agent about different discounts offered, and be sure to call back and speak to several agents, some can find savings others seem to miss!

being young and having speeding tickets will not help! buy a radar detector if legal in your area.

happy shopping!
    cadman

12. Feb 19, 2009 at 12:38 PM
    dud122

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    thanks for the help... i'll let you know how it goes

let me know if anyone thinks of anything else

13. Feb 19, 2009 at 2:45 PM
    sliverworm

sliverworm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Offroad
    Shop around, I pay $900 every 6 months at USAA with my two cars.. this is thru USAA though

14. Feb 19, 2009 at 2:52 PM
    Bolo

Bolo Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Offroad
    Billet grill, nerf bars, TSB, Bilstein 5100s, Pioneer deck, Access Literider, shorty antenna
    Try Wawanesa. After getting quotes with all the big names, I tried them. Their quite was half the amound quoted by everyone else. They even gave me a discount for a new car, when the big names wanted to jack up the price for it being a "sporty" truck.

I pay 1100 for a year. I'm 23 with a clean record btw.

15. Feb 19, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    Also, make sure they dont have your annual mileage way up. Some companies rate you with a "default". lots of times they enter way more than you actually drive - or vice versa, so be careful.

16. Feb 19, 2009 at 4:20 PM
    Hardcorehehaw

Hardcorehehaw 1 man wolf pack

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray PreRunner
    Debadged, 20" Liquid Metal Magmas, Yokohama Parada Spec x 285/50/20, Llumar clear bra, Fold-A-Cover G4, Weathertech liners, Wet Okole seat covers, JBS technologies keyless entry keypad.
    I've been shopping around for car insurance for the past few weeks for identical coverage between companies and Progressive has been the lowest for me. Second to Geico by $10 less per month. Allstate was also close, however Esurance was about 300% higher than Progressive.

17. Feb 19, 2009 at 4:21 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    damn... never heard of them before.

18. Feb 19, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    rocivm

rocivm miss south !! haha!!

Member:
    miami, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 radiant red x runner
    ..intek, halo ring proyector lights and fog, hid 8k, bed cover tuxedo, seat cover leather,black scoop hood, red line nitto tires, ...hehe and etc etc
    i used to have travelers and now i change to progressive, thats the cheepest one i found here in florida

Products Discussed in

To Top