1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CarFax nearly is a FrRAUD

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by atacoy, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Dec 13, 2019 at 10:45 AM
    atacoy

atacoy [OP] Member

Member:
    GA
    A product of sorts for my review.
    CarFax is as close to being a fraud as it can get without crossing the line.
    Carfax will give you some info on a vehicle, though it falls far, far short of finding all, or most of it.

Some experts have said that 95-99% of the info out there is unobtainable by Carfax.
    You get a "smattering" of info that may or may not be correct. It might be mostly right, but all the info you are not getting is also a potential concern, and if you dont have it all then do not think all is good. If you see something bad, then that is really the only benefit of carfax, then you can check on the "bad" to see if it is valid, but you might miss many more unreported valid things you would want to know about.

On my truck Carfax said it was the top of the line model, not the base model that the vin showed. Generally it is not hard to get the vin and model info right, but do not count that they will.

Carfax now claims that what they show for the model is just an example of what it could be, but not what it is.

Carfax "buy-back guarantee"?? HAHA, forget that. They have covered every possibility where you could make a claim, so there is no buyback since they are never at fault or accountable.

Don't waste YOUR money. Looking at a carfax that the seller provides will do no harm as getting 1% of the info is better than getting 0%, but keep in mind you will be getting very little, and possibly very wrong info.

All the other vin check sites will give you very fake info, put in two different vins and you might just get the exact same info back.

Good luck

2. Dec 13, 2019 at 4:22 PM
    tacomainthesun

tacomainthesun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02(sold) 17 trd or
    Yea mine said one owner and no damage... frame was rusted and truck needed repair so I ended up putting just as much money for repair as I did buying it. Go by independent inspection. I wish I did

Hamer95USA and whatstcp like this.
  3. Dec 13, 2019 at 4:27 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    Carfax isn’t magic, they can’t know the frame is rusted out unless it’s been reported by a shop somewhere.

SR-71A likes this.
  4. Dec 13, 2019 at 4:28 PM
    tacomainthesun

tacomainthesun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02(sold) 17 trd or
    T
    They suck a$$

5. Dec 13, 2019 at 4:35 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    3G Tacoma on 35"s, 5G 4Runner
    Can you be more specific? What do you drive and what did Carfax say it was? I'm asking because apparently there are only two trim levels for Tacomas, SR5 and Limited, while SR and TRD are packages...

6. Dec 16, 2019 at 5:44 AM
    Grossomotto

Grossomotto Complete 3rd Member

Member:
    39.9526° N, 75.1652° W
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WDV6LB6MT
    There’s a shit ton of work that gets done personally by the owner and/or independent shops that never gets reported.

I’d only buy a certified preowned from dealer or from original owner with records.

7. Dec 16, 2019 at 5:53 AM
    velogeek

velogeek Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner
    It's frequently the case that OEMs don't code trim level into the VIN in any way so they either need to have individual VIN information or they will typically just associate the truck with some default. Frequently they get bad info and the VIN report doesn't match the actual vehicle for one reason or another.

8. Dec 16, 2019 at 6:34 AM
    SmokeyTacoAZ

SmokeyTacoAZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB TRD 4x4 OR
    I sold an older vehicle to CarMax a few years ago. I was really up front about a major accident. Their VIN record check turned up nothing. They asked me if I was sure about the accident and I said yes. Then they just shrugged and said well it wasn't in their system. Got a pretty penny for the vehicle. Several years earlier I had checked Carfax and it had the accident in their report. Do the records have a lifetime on them or something?

Just sharing my experience..

9. Dec 16, 2019 at 6:37 AM
    DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma 4x4 Sport 6MT access cab
    I was selling a car and the buyer wanted a Carfax so I bought it to see what was on it first. There was some minor hail damage to the car, but Carfax reported it as major damage to all sides of the car, basically made it look like the car was in a major wreck. Fortunately the buyer believed me when I showed the receipts and the claim.

10. Dec 16, 2019 at 6:48 AM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    3G Tacoma on 35"s, 5G 4Runner
    That's unusual. Typically the used car dealers are ex-body shop techs who are experts at finding repainted panels and other collision repairs, just so they can find reasons to give you bottom dollar for your car.

Hamer95USA likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top