1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carrier Bearing movement and replacement?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kingston73, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Jul 12, 2020 at 7:52 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    How much movement should the carrier bearing allow for the driveshaft? When I place my truck in reverse and back up something in the driveline is squeaking loudly. It only happens when actually in reverse, not in neutral and not in drive. The ujoints are all newly greased. I can move the driveshaft up/down/back and forth at the carrier bearing so I'm wondering if it needs replacing.

2nd question: if it does need replacing is it worth getting an oem toyota brand or are the cheaper types still ok to use?

2. Jul 12, 2020 at 9:13 AM
    Steve-O

Steve-O Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    SW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, TRD Off-Road
    How many miles on it?

A new one will have a little movement to it, but not much. If you can easily move yours, it might need to be replaced. Kinda hard to diagnose without seeing the truck in person though.

I went through this a few years ago, and ended up going with a new OEM unit. It ended up not being my problem (my rear diff was failing), but it at least reset the clock on it.

Products Discussed in

To Top