1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Casita owners Input wanted

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Markwell, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Jan 19, 2019 at 6:44 AM
    Markwell

Markwell [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Just hauled a Casita 17' Independence from TX to WV with out Chevy 2500 HD with a slide in camper on it. Obviously this was no big deal for that truck.
    However, the plan for towing the casita around the country is our new 2019 Tacoma SR, 6 cyl../ 6 speed automatic, with factory tow package.
    Got a WDH and anti sway bar with the trailer from the previous owner but would like to keep things as simple as possible. So the question is; how many of you tow a similar outfit, 2500lbs dry weight 3000wet, tongue weight of 350lbs, with the factory set up? I've seen lots of Tacomas on the road over the years towing similar sized units with only a simple hitch ball set up.
    Your firsthand feedback would be appreciated.

2. Jan 20, 2019 at 9:09 PM
    Mtn Mike

Mtn Mike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR AC
    You'll be fine. Keep it slow on the interstate (65 and under) and expect to go even slower up the grades. Your RPM's will be 2-4K pretty consistently. Gas millage will suck. It'll be kinda frustrating to be the slowest one on the road. 18 wheelers will be blowing by you. But the Taco will be fine. You're well within it's capability. Get a brake controller if you don't already have one.

My camper trailer is the same size, but a bit heavier and much less aerodynamic than the Casita. I don't think I'd tow it across country but it does fine on short road trips.

3. Jan 21, 2019 at 6:45 AM
    Markwell

Markwell [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    I have a brake controller. I'm used to going slower than normal traffic as, since 2006, I've put 175K on a pickup with a truck camper on it, 3 trips West in 2018 alone; one to TX to pick up the Casita and visit the Big bend country. Gas mileage can't be any worse than my 3/4 ton.
    We are hoping to take the trailer on some extended trips but are seldom in any kind of hurry. I'd like to not have to hassle with the WDH or sway bar deal if not necessary. My truck camper set up has me spoiled; you just pull in somewhere, open the door and you're set. Getting rolling in the AM is just as simple.

Thanks for the reply.

Mtn Mike likes this.
  4. Jan 21, 2019 at 7:49 AM
    huachuca

huachuca Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Tarboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 4WD DC w/TRD offroad
    I replied to your post on the other thread with my experiences with Tacoma/4.0/auto and a 16' Scamp. You also might want to pose this question on the http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/ site. Lots of Casita/Tacoma owners there.

5. Jan 21, 2019 at 5:17 PM
    Jimiller5

Jimiller5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport
    Tonneau cover running boards Lance 1475
    I tow a 17SD Casita with my '15 Taco TRD Sport. I've had it from East TN to the west coast twice and all over the east coast. Mileage is right at 15 mpg at 62 mph. I do use a wdh and sway bar. I tow in 4th gear and have no trouble on mountain passes.

6. Oct 27, 2019 at 12:08 PM
    Markwell

Markwell [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    September was the month for the first real shakedown of the 2019 Tacoma/ 17' Casita outfit.

Drove a bit over 5500 miles to new Mexico and back over 28 days; flat lands and mountains. The Taco did just fine. Had a bit of rear end sag but not enough to bother us and the truck/trailer combo was stable as could be. Spent the entire time in S mode 4th and fifth and cruised easily at 65mph. Had to drop down to 3rd in the mountains a few times but the truck never struggled. Only sway we encountered was when we dropped a wheel of the berm one time. No sway bar or WDH seems to be required. we are greatly pleased with the performance of the new outfit. Now the question is do we keep the 3/4 to and truck camper?? time will tell

7. Mar 22, 2021 at 4:21 PM
    Aquatic Tacoma

Aquatic Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Odessa, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Dbcb , 2004 Tacoma S-Runner
    Both are Stock - built correct from the start.
    Yeah, old thread. Figured I’d just piggyback it. I’ve towed two other rv trailers with my 2018 Dbcb Sport. A T@b 320 Boondock(2500 lbs) about 8000 miles. And a Coachmen Nano(3700 lbs) about 2000 miles. So I’m pretty knowledgeable on the trucks capability. And ran a company with a fleet of Tacoma’s used for daily towing. No questions there. As per required by owners manual I ran a sway control bar, but no WDH. I don’t get any squat since I have an overload leaf added to my leaf pack. Im happy with my trucks set up. Now I’m soon to pick up a Casita 17’ Spirit Deluxe. Wondering from you Casita tow r’s of any recommendations particular to these trailers? Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top