1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CB atenas & any ideas on how to mount them

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 562Tacoma, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Nov 4, 2009 at 4:28 PM
    562Tacoma

562Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern, CA (SoCal)
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Off Road 4x2
    -Maxtrac 4in lift spindles -5100's all the way around -Drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic break pads -Pro comp 1in AAL -17in wheels with a -6 offset (4.5 backspace) -1 - 10inch kicker comp (ported box)
    Hello,

I'd like to see if anyone on here has a 2nd Gen. Tacoma with a cb antenna ? And if so where did you mount the antenna in the bed... ??

2. Nov 4, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Just make your girlfriend ride in the bed and hold it.

3. Nov 5, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Welcome to TW.

4. Nov 5, 2009 at 9:42 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    Welcome!

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My old one:
    [​IMG]

5. Nov 5, 2009 at 9:48 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    if you go to an electronics dealer who has a good cb section, they'll have abotu 15 different mounts. it's fun to get creative. personally i have taillight guards, and i used a tube style clamp to mount right onto the side of one of those. i don't have pictures, but if you'd like, i can take some.

6. Nov 5, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
  7. Nov 17, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    562Tacoma

562Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern, CA (SoCal)
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Off Road 4x2
    -Maxtrac 4in lift spindles -5100's all the way around -Drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic break pads -Pro comp 1in AAL -17in wheels with a -6 offset (4.5 backspace) -1 - 10inch kicker comp (ported box)
    Thanks...

8. Nov 17, 2009 at 3:17 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    I have mine in the same spot as oakley (except on the opposite side). I used the Firestik NGP mount. I'll take a pic when I get off work.

9. Nov 17, 2009 at 3:29 PM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    1257113796_3c77bcb2038f6a3bae6c3456d24779253fd8d90c.jpg
    1257113734_bff1586d167d35447a6786a6e6b4c0a3e9339d91.jpg
    I have a pretty cheep/ghetto mount, It was going to be temporary but it seems fine to me

10. Nov 17, 2009 at 4:01 PM
    m771401

m771401 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not a CB but you get the idea.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've changed some things up since these pictures but mostly the same.
    The antenna bracket is something I made with my Dad's help.

11. Nov 28, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    For those of you who mount your antennas in the bed, how do you ground the antenna since the bed isnt conductive?

12. Nov 26, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    austinstaco

austinstaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Dallas TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    to many
    i mounted mine on the back driver side corner of the bed where the metal support is so no need worry about grounding
    [​IMG]

13. Nov 26, 2010 at 7:17 AM
    fhlashsf

fhlashsf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Danville, CA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Off Road Double Cab 4x4
    Weathertechs, Avid bolt-on sliders and light bar, 17" ATX Thug wheels, BF Goodrich AT 285/70/17 tires, Icom 2820 Dstar radio, OME 3" lift, color matched rear bumper and Grillecraft grille, Wet Okole seat covers, ARM bed extender, black badges, Sockmonkey decals, HID headlight and foglights, TRD cat back exhaust, TRD CAI, URD MAF calibrator, Kenwood 6960 HU, Image Dynamic front and back speakers, ARC Audio Sub in Mr. Marv custom sub box and amp rack, Tuffy security box for bed.
    Mine is for a VHF/UHF radio but mounting could work the same way....I ran the cable out the cab and through the interior of the bed. I routed the cable up the bed rail and out the first opening near the cab. The mount itself fits inside the rail opening. I drilled a small hole in the plastic bed rail cap and the part of the mount which you screw your antenna into comes out. Below are some photos...have had the antenna on for about 8 months now and haven't had any problems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Nov 26, 2010 at 7:44 AM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    Now i have a toolbox with a regular l-style mount and a spring with about an 8 and a half foot whip

15. Nov 26, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    ShaLor

ShaLor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Doublecab TRD Off Road
    Custom mud flap removal from rock on trail :), Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Cobra 75 wx st CB install, 19 more D-Rings in the bed, Satoshi Grill, Fog Lamp on any time mod. Relentless Fab CB antenna hood mount, LED bed lights, Demello Hybrid Sliders, Undercover Tonneau Cover, Lighted 4x4 switch
    I simply used a Firestik "No Ground Plane" antenna. I was wondering the exact same thing you were since the bed isn't made out of metal. You typically use the surrounding metal on the vehicle to act as the grounding plane, but our Tacomas don't let you do that if you mount it in the bed.
    This is from their Website:

The FGX-648 (where X = antenna length in feet) series, 'No ground plane" (NGP) CB antenna kits were specifically designed to solve the problems associated with the lack of ground plane (counterpoise). This normally occurs on vehicles constructed of plastic, fiberglass, wood or aluminum. This includes, but is not limited to, motorhomes, boats, automobiles and 18-wheeler trucks. Ground plane problems typically show up in the form of high standing wave ratio (SWR) and poor performance. The isolated ground plane that is built into the FGX-648 series kits can also eliminate problems on metal base vehicles that lack the sufficient ground plane for proper operation. This could be due to the size of available ground plane (ATV, bicycle, motorcycle, wheelchair, etc.), or because the operator chooses to mount the antenna in a location that is unable too properly take advantage of available ground plane. The versatility of these kits goes way beyond the normal expected uses of a typical mobile antenna kit. Aside from vehicular installations, these kits can be mounted on a pack frame for hunting or Search and Rescue operations. Apartment dwellers can mount them on a balcony railing, or a temporary base station can set up in the forest using a tree for a tower.

16. Nov 29, 2010 at 9:44 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio

Doesn't that mark the paint on your cab when you spring it back with a tree branch or low garage door?

17. Nov 29, 2010 at 10:00 PM
    '02TRD

'02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Billstein 5100's & AAL, 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on Black 16x8 Raceline Renegades, Pro-Tech Toolbox, Wet Okole covers, K&N air filter, Tow package, Alpine digital media receiver, Kenwood Amp, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub, Cobra 75 hand held CB, front differential drop
    don't know how much you all know about cb's and antennas but the prime location for antenna mounts is on the fender, opposite of the stereo antenna. Mounting here, with the antenna positioned over the hood of your truck gives maximum reception.

Talk to someone at a local cb specific shop and i'm sure they'll tell you the same!!!

18. Nov 30, 2010 at 5:17 AM
    fhlashsf

fhlashsf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Danville, CA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Off Road Double Cab 4x4
    Weathertechs, Avid bolt-on sliders and light bar, 17" ATX Thug wheels, BF Goodrich AT 285/70/17 tires, Icom 2820 Dstar radio, OME 3" lift, color matched rear bumper and Grillecraft grille, Wet Okole seat covers, ARM bed extender, black badges, Sockmonkey decals, HID headlight and foglights, TRD cat back exhaust, TRD CAI, URD MAF calibrator, Kenwood 6960 HU, Image Dynamic front and back speakers, ARC Audio Sub in Mr. Marv custom sub box and amp rack, Tuffy security box for bed.
    It does hit the garage door...but it bends a bit at the top not from the base.....maybe three inches of it rubs....it's never hit the cab...no marks at all...a more flexible antenna might or one that has springs at the bottom...

For my purposes (VHF/UHF) there is really one ideal location and that's mounted dead center on top of the cab....You need the metal ground plane for transmitting and you'd want the antenna mounted as high as possible for reception...the other area is center of the hood....for the same reason....Great coverage wasn't worth drilling those holes or using a mag mount which would eventually scratch the paint...and my personal opinion is that antennas are ugly so I also wanted mine to blend in as much as possible...

I mounted in this location figuring I'd get a bit of ground plane from the cab although I realize it probably makes my antenna more directional than I'd like...

Don't know much about the cb antennas and why the fender makes more sense but I defer to those that have experience...

Prerunner Seth made a nice mount for the hood area...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/78821-custom-ham-radio-antenna-bracket-mount.html

19. Nov 30, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    '02TRD

'02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Billstein 5100's & AAL, 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on Black 16x8 Raceline Renegades, Pro-Tech Toolbox, Wet Okole covers, K&N air filter, Tow package, Alpine digital media receiver, Kenwood Amp, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub, Cobra 75 hand held CB, front differential drop
    fhlashsf, very true about mounting the antenna centered on your roof, this would give the best reception, but for all practical mounting locations the fender is the best in my opinion (and the opinion of a wise old man who owns a commercial Cobra CB distribution and installation business near my house) because like you say the hood will help as a ground for transmitting signals. my previous vehicle was a Jeep TJ and this wise old man almost wouldn't sell me any antenna mount other than a hood mount, i was originally planning on mounting on the rear of the jeep (bumper or spare tire) but am glad i took his advice. Just my experience and opinion. I'd be interested in hearing what another CB professional had to say about this.

20. Dec 20, 2010 at 11:27 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    Has anybody strung there attena this way?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top