1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CB guys..need a little advice on the 102"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by reece13, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Jan 27, 2014 at 6:29 PM
    reece13

reece13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport, 6spd, 4wd
    Toytec Coilovers, Total Chaos uca's, Wheelers aal+Bilstein 5160's. 285/70/17's, Method Double Standards. Magnaflow exhaust, GrilleCraft grille, Allpro bumper,diff breather relocate, yellow wire mod, oil catch can, weathertechs.
    So i decided to take my pos antenna off today. It wasnt a firestick or anything fancy. Just a plain jane 5ft with a metal gound bracket on the back of the bed. it was ok for 1/2 mile trail riding-thats it. I put a 102" whip in its place, recalibrated my cobra 29lx, and i still can't get this thing tuned right. granted, i haven't been out on the road too much tonite, but sitting in my driveway, i cant hear $h!t. not even weather. I need to get the swr better since its at 2 right now, but am i missing something?? or do i just need to head to a cb shop??

2. Jan 27, 2014 at 9:35 PM
    kn61408

kn61408 Retired old fart

Member:
    western washington
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DCLB sport pyrite mica
    12v always on power point mod, tailgate anti-theft, Addl bed tiedowns, flyzeye dash lights, map lites with dome lite mod, bed stiffeners, air bags, brake controller, always on fog lights,
    To start with, make sure your antenna bracket is fastened to a good electrical ground. Next, find your primary frequency that you use. Use the wavelength calculator found here: http://www.1728.org/freqwave.htm. Convert this to inches. Assuming your 102" antenna is a solid metal whip, add a couple of inches and cut your antenna to that length. Now check swr. If necessary, make small cuts of 1/4 inch and note that the swr decreases. Adjust to minimum. Moving the antenna shaft in and out of the base using the set screw to hold it will give you an idea of which way to go with your tuning. Hope this helps. Good luck.

3. Jan 31, 2014 at 3:58 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    To figure out your issues one must trouble shoot the install or equipment.

I suggest checking out this link for both, but starting with the install because that's easy and you can do it yourself http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cb-radio-resources.html#installation

If you have the install good you shouldn't need to tune a 102" whip. I didn't need to tune mine as as soon as I installed it I started getting skips from all over, the farthest being some guys from AZ that lasted almost 20 minutes. With my 4' Firestick I never got a skip and had a pro tune that for me.

4. Jan 31, 2014 at 5:31 PM
    reece13

reece13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport, 6spd, 4wd
    Toytec Coilovers, Total Chaos uca's, Wheelers aal+Bilstein 5160's. 285/70/17's, Method Double Standards. Magnaflow exhaust, GrilleCraft grille, Allpro bumper,diff breather relocate, yellow wire mod, oil catch can, weathertechs.
    thanks for the help guys. I ended up taking off my 102 whip today. I put a new mount behind the cab on the driverside, yet extends over the side (outide) of the bed and installed a k40 tuneable. Best thing i ever did. I get alot more reflection, got my swr down to 1.1. and can talk for miles in any direction. I dont see how guys are putting firesticks on the back of the bed and are able to talk to anyone, especially if the people you are trying to talk to are behind you.

Products Discussed in

To Top