1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CB/PA SPEAKER *HELP*

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Taqoma, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Mar 11, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    Taqoma

Taqoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennan
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    TRD Supercharger, TRD CAI, Camburg LT, Fox 2.5x8 coilovers, Fox 2.0 bumps, Deaver e30 leafs, Fox 3.0x18 triples, Avid sliders, Yaesu 2900R, Pro Comp 7089 16x8, DDM 55w HID Hella 500FF, DDM 35w HID headlights, Magnaflow 11255 muffler, PLX DM-100 OBDII, Autometer Ultra-Lite II Boost gauge, Flex Pod gauge mount, LSK tube bumper, McNeil fenders, Fiberwerx bedsides, 285/75/16 Toyo MT's
    OK guys! Here's the scoop:

Today I wired up a Midland 1001Z CB + Firestik 4' No-ground antenna + 25w PA speaker.

First I had to solder the 1/8" jack to speaker wire to plug the PA into the CB. I made sure it worked by plugging the PA speaker into my iPhone and music was heard very clear, although not very loud (expected though).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

After mounting the PA speaker I ran the leads and speaker wire through the firewall and got everything all pretty.
    [​IMG]

Yet when I switch the radio to PA mode I don't hear anything from the speaker. I tested with my iPhone again and I could hear music again so now I'm stuck wondering wtf is wrong.

The one issue I knew going into this....the CB output is rated 8W and the PA speaker is rated 25W (both 8ohm) so I was thinking it wouldn't be as loud as it could be, but I thought it would at least work. Especially after hearing music from my iPhone...I don't know why the CB radio's PA mode isn't working.

the heck??

2. Mar 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Not sure if your intending to run receiver sound thru the pa?
    The pa only works when you key the mic in pa mode to speak thru the pa spkr.
    When you switch to pa the cb side goes dead. (at least on my old cbs-it's been 35 years since I had 1)

You should be able to drive that pa speaker with only 2 watts. 25 watts is just its max output (that sucker is gonna be loud!)

try reversing the leads

maybe move the jack around at the radio-the contacts may be spread

Only other thing is the pa spkr should be hard mounted for ground to metal like firewall or fender hump?

I probably didn't help lol

3. Mar 11, 2012 at 11:07 PM
    Taqoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennan
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    TRD Supercharger, TRD CAI, Camburg LT, Fox 2.5x8 coilovers, Fox 2.0 bumps, Deaver e30 leafs, Fox 3.0x18 triples, Avid sliders, Yaesu 2900R, Pro Comp 7089 16x8, DDM 55w HID Hella 500FF, DDM 35w HID headlights, Magnaflow 11255 muffler, PLX DM-100 OBDII, Autometer Ultra-Lite II Boost gauge, Flex Pod gauge mount, LSK tube bumper, McNeil fenders, Fiberwerx bedsides, 285/75/16 Toyo MT's
    I posted the same question somewhere else and I think I got the right answer now.

The 1/8" jack I'm using is stereo and I'm guessing the CB's PA mode is only mono. Someone suggested switching the pole on the solder I did to the jack (if that makes any sense)

So I'm going to move the bottom wire in the pic to the other little pole that's behind it
    [​IMG]

4. Mar 12, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    that makes sense-didn't notice till now-hence the three contacts on the jack (right/left/ground.) try joining that unused terminal to the positive too or just go to Radio Shack and get a mono jack.

5. Mar 12, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    Taqoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennan
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    well switching the lower wire to the other pole fixed the issue. I left the "ground" wire alone and now we know....and knowing is half the battle.

YO JOE!

6. Mar 13, 2012 at 8:08 AM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Cool:) so how loud is it:D and can you run the CB rcvr through it too? Glad it worked out!

To Top