1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CB radio problem

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ralphtater, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Jan 23, 2012 at 4:26 PM
    ralphtater

ralphtater [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab
    2.5 in revtech leveling kit 285 nitto terra grapplers 10 inch custom mounted sub 15%tint
    I have recently out a cb radio in my taco. It picks up signals but not very clear and most of the time i hear a bunch of static even after i fuck with the squelch. Whenever i have got good connections to people when i talk they never respond like they cant hear me. I know that my mic is good so thats not the problem. When i hooked up the radio i taped the power wire behind my radio in the car. I was wondering if it was a possiblilty that the radio is simply not getting enough power from this source to work good. I was also wondering about the best place to mount the antenna because right now it is on the left side of the bed behind the driver.
    cheers

2. Jan 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM
    Bengland25

Bengland25 Never Forget! 343

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    First off, Did you tune the antenna and radio? if not I would recommend taking it to a local CB shop and getting it taken care of by the guys that know whats going on, should be around $15.

Second, how tall is your antenna? it is recommended that atleast 2/3 of the antenna is higher then the highest point of the truck.

I doubt the power to the radio is the issue but check those two things out..

3. Jan 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    How exaclly did you run your power wires? Best bet is always straight to the battery. Also RF noise has alot to do with the radio itself. Cheaper radios aren't always good at blocking it out. More info would be helpful: radio, antenna type, etc. And yes as stated already you have to tune the antenna to the radio, if not you're goin to have poor performance and possibly damage the radio.

4. Jan 23, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    ralphtater

Member:
    florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab
    2.5 in revtech leveling kit 285 nitto terra grapplers 10 inch custom mounted sub 15%tint
    its a 4ft roadpro and yes most of it is above the truck but i will get it tuned and see how it works...preciate the advice

5. Jan 23, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    Bengland25

Bengland25 Never Forget! 343

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    No problem man, hopefully that should fix it. If not ask the guys at your local CB shop whats going on with it. im sure they will help! glad i could help man, take care!

6. Jan 23, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    Run the power straight to the battery. Then check the SWR.

7. Jan 23, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    where is the antenna mounted? if its mounted on the bed rail it probably doesnt have a good ground plane. you need a good ground plane to get good SWRs

running a ground wire to the mount is usually not enough since its not an electrical ground you need, but a ground plane, meaning the ground needs mass.

8. Jan 24, 2012 at 11:13 AM
    ralphtater

Member:
    florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab
    i originally had the power straight to the battery but when i turned off my truck it was still drawing power and i didnt want the battery to drain

9. Jan 24, 2012 at 11:17 AM
    Junebug55210

Junebug55210 2011 TRD Sport 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Gainesville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRD Sport 4.0
    Cat back magnaflow, toolbox, camo seat covers
    The people you are hearing could be running more powerful cb's than you and they just can't hear you due to the distance between.

10. Jan 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    The symptoms described (static, weak reception, etc) suggest a very poor or missing ground plane for the antenna. With the typical automotive antenna, the metal body of the vehicle acts as part of the antenna. Without a metal mounting surface, this type of antenna will simply not work properly.

The Tacoma's bed is a fiberglass composite, so obviously will not provide adequate metal for a ground plane. You might be able to improve the situation somewhat by connecting the base (mount) of the antenna to the metal frame or metal body of the truck using either large diameter wire (fair) or flat, braided, wire (best).

An alternative is switching to an antenna design which does not require a ground plane. Antennas designed for motorhomes (often fiberglass as well) are good examples of this. The braided shield within the coax included with these antennas act as the ground plane, so the coax usually should not be cut or shortened.

Mounting the existing conventional antenna in the center of a large, metal, toolbox might work as well. This option often works best if the toolbox is also grounded to the truck's frame.

Finally, one other alternative is relocating the conventional antenna to some part of the metal truck cab using either a permanent mount or a magnetic mount.

Products Discussed in

To Top