1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CB SWR Reading HIGH

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CayucosTacoma, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Jan 18, 2013 at 4:21 AM
    CircuitBreaker

CircuitBreaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TRD
    Yes and no. IF the length of coax affects the SWR then you have a problem. While the coax has a shield, RF can and will end up on that shield if the antenna system isn't installed properly or isn't resonant. In most cases, however, coiling the coax should have no affect and can actually be a good thing because it creates a common mode choke - which will cancel out any RF on the shield of the coax and make ferrite chokes unnecessary. Although, this is most effective when the coil is at the feedpoint of the antenna.

2. Jan 18, 2013 at 4:55 AM
    BUZZCUT

BUZZCUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFFROAD 4x4
  3. Jan 18, 2013 at 4:59 AM
    BRUCEB

BRUCEB Well-Known Member

Member:
    CENTRAL MISSOURI
    Vehicle:
    2012 CREW CAB TRD
    Add a piece of coax the the bottom of the ant.Put on where the coax that goes to the radio goes.Couple of feet,then cut short piece's off,and watch your swr's.Sometimes,just adding the coax does the trick.I wouldn't want mine at 3,always get mine down around 1.5,or lower.Have to work at it sometimes,but it's worth it.

4. Jan 18, 2013 at 5:00 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    WTF is going on in here? :rolleyes:

5. Jan 18, 2013 at 6:10 AM
    CircuitBreaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TRD
    Firesticks are okay. My main problem with them is "false advertising." They claim all their antennas are 5/8 wave regardless of how long the antenna is (3/4 wave for the 7 ft model). Now, technically speaking, this is true because they use a 5/8 wave length piece of wire. However, it's only electrically 5/8 wave. Because this wire is helically wound around the antenna, it's physically a 1/4 wave (7 ft model) or less and that's what the radio waves are going to care about. This means the longer the antenna - the better the performance. Magnet mount antennas are kind of the same concept. They use a 1/4 wave length of conductor...most of this is coiled at the base of the antenna in the "can" and is referred to as a loading coil. This makes the radio happy because electrically speaking the antenna is a 1/4 wave length and presents a 50 ohm load, but physically it isn't and will suffer in performance. That's why, for the money, the 102" stainless steel whip is the best performing antenna around - it's both electrically and physically 1/4 wave length. Naturally, not everyone wants to put such a big antenna on their vehicle. :p

6. Jan 18, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    This^ a 1/4 wave antenna on 11 meters is 108" long anything else is a compromise. The main reason they use 5/8 wave is because the 1/2 wave would present an impedance of about a 1,000 ohms where as they can wind enough wire around the stick and matching to reduce it to something closer to 50 ohms. A 1/4 wave antenna is a lot closer to 50 ohms. I have used the firestick type antennas on different bands with mixed results basically I was not impressed yes they work but. Unfortunately without knowing what frequency the antenna is resonate on (not the radio frequency but the antenna) you have no idea if it’s too long or too short and a SWR meter will not tell you that. If you have to raze the antenna to bring the SWR down it’s too short if you shorten it and the SWR comes down it’s too long it happens pretty fast so just do a little bit at a time but if you are not even close you have no ideal wither it’s short or long. If you have to add coax to make it come down the antenna is not resonate. If you get no match even 3 to 1 there is something wrong with the install or the antenna. A good 3 hour install with attention to details is far better than 10 hours of trying to get a bad install to work placement has an effect, height above the cab really good antenna connections proper grounding at the antenna base meaning coax grounding the metal in the truck body and frame will take care of your ground plane as long as the ground is good at the feed point.

7. Jan 18, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    Mmmm Antenna resonance

[​IMG]

8. Jan 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4x4 SR5 SB/2012 DC 4x4 SR5 LB(sold)
    That is cool, can you post a few more pictures on a different link to no hijack this./
    I really like it and was thinking about something like that for a rod rack and storage for surf fishing at the beach.
    Something that sets on the rails and can be removed and installed, maybe not used year around.
    May get someone that builds the rod racks to build one from alloy or something making it lighter./
    Info on weight, tube used, mounting and so on.

9. Jan 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    so maybe some one has a quick solution to this problem,

my cb transmits VERY VERY quietly. Like to the point I have to scream into the mic for people to hear me, and when im in a group about half the people can hear me. I have a cobra 18 with a 4' fire stick and the antenna mounted to the bed rail (its a 1st gen so its actually metal). When I tuned it 1 and 40 were pretty dam close. When I tried to fix the problem I ran a ground wire directly to the frame, re ran power wires directly to the battery, and swapped mics with people and still no luck. Any idea? I'm thinking the cb is just broken.

10. Jan 19, 2013 at 3:30 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    I'm going with the radio pooped the bed. CB's are finicky little bastards. I would say maybe take it to a shop if you have one near so they can test it. Some places will test for free then go from there.

11. Jan 19, 2013 at 7:15 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Myth #1 bed rails are not grounded.
    Myth #2 you need an extra wire to the frame.
    Myth #3 adding coax brings down the SWR and makes the antenna resonate.
    Myth # 4 the mount/extra grounding makes up the ground plane.
    The bed rails are well grounded they are not bolted to plastic.
    If you have a good ground at your mount no extra wire is needed it is a coax ground.
    If extra coax brings down your SWR the antenna is not resonant.
    The ground plane is the metal parts of the truck including the frame work, the plastic bed has little effect.
    I have made contacts in over a 100 countries and every corner of the US mobile granted it is not CB but the antennas work exactly the same. My antenna is motorized it moves up and down electrically to tune it on different bands it will tune from 10 to 80 meters. You can have one of your very own for around $400. The mount is a standard ball mount it is bolted to the sheet metal and the coax is ground to it. The upper mount has no uses other than to keep the antenna from vibrating the black parts are Lexan the antenna cannot be grounded anywhere.

IMG_1515 (683x1024).jpg
    IMG_1516 Large e-mail view.jpg

12. Jan 20, 2013 at 7:02 AM
    CircuitBreaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TRD
    The thing is - if adding coax affects your SWR, the antenna isn't working properly. The length of coax should have absolutely no affect on the SWR.

13. Jan 20, 2013 at 7:06 AM
    CircuitBreaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TRD
    The thing is - for co-phasing to truly work, the antennas need to be 1/4 wave length apart (8 ft). You might be getting some directivity out of it...but I don't think it'll be enough to really notice.

14. Jan 20, 2013 at 7:07 AM
    CircuitBreaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TRD
    Must be a 2M antenna that's a little long.

15. Jan 20, 2013 at 7:08 AM
    CircuitBreaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TRD
    I don't think this is an issue with SWR. It sounds like the mic gain on the radio simply isn't high enough or the mic has a problem.

16. Jan 20, 2013 at 7:11 AM
    CircuitBreaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TRD
    Looks like a Little Tarheel. I have one myself that I plan to install with an Icom IC-7000. I plan to take the video output of the 7000 and feed it into my Kenwood DNX-9980HD so I can have the display of the radio show up on the stereo.

17. Jan 20, 2013 at 10:47 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    popped the bed? ill see if i can get it tested.
    i dont think its the swr either, i was just posting because its a some what related thread.

can I fix the mic gain? It has a dial for gain, and i have played with that and no change, and i have used 2 other mics and it had the same result, super quiet.

18. Jan 21, 2013 at 5:14 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    That's a CAP freq. flying in your truck?

19. Jan 21, 2013 at 5:55 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    If you have no big need for 6 meters I would highly recommend ditching the short stinger and go with the 56" whip it will make a world of difference. Mine actually will tune on 160 meters but that is really pushing the limits of the coil so 80 meters is good enough for me. That's right the 7000 does have video out that sounds like a neat ideal I run my old Icom 737 at the house remote with my Android the mobile is a 706 mk2 G.

20. Jan 22, 2013 at 4:44 AM
    CircuitBreaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TRD
    Is this the Cobra 18 WX ST? The ones I've looked at don't have any kind of gain control. My guess is, however, that the gain control on your radio affects the strength of the received signal but I could be wrong on that. If other mics have no affect, I think an adjustment needs to be made on the inside. I'll have to see if there are any mods for that radio.

Products Discussed in

To Top