1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CB wiring HELP! Speaker too quiet!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by IDtrucks, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Mar 3, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks [OP] Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    i wired in and tuned my cobra 18, but the front facing speaker is really really quiet. when i turn to the weather broad cast i have to put my ear on the the speaker to hear anything, and when i have squelch and volume all the way up its still extremely quiet and i hear almost no static. When i turned to channel 19 i was picking up some chatter but it was too quiet to make out.

Then i plugged my 3.5mm aux jack to the ext speaker port in the cb and played it through the truck speakers and the weather broadcast came through fine and i could hear.

i have tried wiring both power wires to the cig acc fuse and both directly to the battery and the same results happen, the speaker is just way too soft. I have my dash all apart trying to figure out how to fix it so i can get it back together and just want it done haha. anyone have any ideas?!

2. Mar 3, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    My Cobra 18 was the same. I bought a cheap $5 external speaker and it was MUCH better.

3. Mar 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    haha thats a tad depressing, i just want the radio to work like its supposed to. where did you get yours?

4. Mar 3, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    I've been down the Cobra 18 road already.... I feel your pain.:D

5. Mar 3, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    IGO4LOW

IGO4LOW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fullerton, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4 w/ JBL Audio
    3" Procomp lift, 285/70 R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Procomp series 6005 wheels, Fog lights on Anytime mod, illuminated oem fog switch, bed mat, all weather floormats, CB Radio in dash, alternating turn signal mod, automatic center console light. Blacked out badges, D2s in the grille.
    Strange. My cobra 18 WX ST IIspeaker is loans as hell! Could be that the cb isn't getting the correct amount of power. That happened to me I just didnt have a good power and ground connection.

6. Mar 3, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    i could, but then i wouldnt be able to play the radio at the same time.

how EXACTLY do you have yours wired?

same place you are. behind the kick panel

7. Mar 3, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    IGO4LOW

IGO4LOW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fullerton, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4 w/ JBL Audio
    3" Procomp lift, 285/70 R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Procomp series 6005 wheels, Fog lights on Anytime mod, illuminated oem fog switch, bed mat, all weather floormats, CB Radio in dash, alternating turn signal mod, automatic center console light. Blacked out badges, D2s in the grille.
    Ad a circuit in the fuse panel. Wired both red and orange power wires together to the ad a circuit in a switched fuse.

8. Mar 3, 2012 at 7:36 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    so red and orange are both going to one fuse? a 15 i assume? thats what I had originally, it was in the 15 cig fuse, then i seperated the wires to 2 different fuses, and put em both on the battery, then i just resituated the ground wire and still nothing. i might just have to get an external speaker...god damit

this is really aggrivating. why cant it just work.

9. Mar 3, 2012 at 8:10 PM
    bhh2000

bhh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD 4X4
    Mine was doing the same thing, plug the mic in...... it made mine louder....

10. Mar 3, 2012 at 8:14 PM
    tacomarotto

tacomarotto "Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    Audi S3
    i had that issue with mine. i had to re-sodder a wire in the handle plug in.

11. Mar 3, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    the mic? that you talk into? because that is already in

where is the handle plug in?

12. Mar 3, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    tacomarotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    Audi S3
    default-1_799d597380c3429182c8e61812b7e1e4e35069e7.jpg

im ment to say mic. not handle. sry. handle is slang for something else.... forgot.

i disassembled the part where i circled in red. there was a blue wire that had come loose. i re-soddered it and fixed it up

13. Mar 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    and that made...the internal speaker louder?

14. Mar 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    tacomarotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    Audi S3
    idk what the mic has anything to do with the amount of speaker volume output. but once i fixed that wire the volume was good as new.

15. Mar 3, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    tacomarotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    Audi S3
    yea. the internal speaker volume with almost absent. it was so quiet i had to lean in all the way up to the unit to hear anything at all.

16. Mar 3, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    ok, great. ill give it a try

thats exactly the way mine is

17. Mar 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    Gabassman

Gabassman Drive it like a 4WD

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Georgia
    Dont feel bad my cobra 18 wont transmit.

18. Mar 3, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    tacomarotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    Audi S3
    i hope its an easy fix. they are pretty cheap CB radios to begin with though. get what we paid for i suppose.

19. Mar 3, 2012 at 8:41 PM
    Gabassman

Gabassman Drive it like a 4WD

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Georgia
    HA ive got some buddies ive tried talking to that all they hear from me is a buzz

20. Mar 3, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    thats interference sounds like a bad ground and u may wanna add a noise filter...did you tune it?

Products Discussed in

To Top