1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cement Cost

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by 4x4jeep, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Jan 5, 2012 at 7:20 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I would do a 4" slab and if you can swing it throw in some mesh unless you plan on busting it out down the road. Water down the ground really good before you pour.

2. Jan 5, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    You would be OK unreinforced as long as you had a good, compacted base. Most shops and garages are unreinforced.

If I decided that I was going to reinforce my own I would prolly go with a mat of #3 bar (3/8" dia)

You will need someone to help you lay out cut joints or control joints. Concrete slabs WILL crack....in this way you tell it where to crack.

Mesh is OK if it's in panels. If it's in rolls it is a total PITA.

3. Jan 5, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    No, do 6" with reinforcement. Sidewalks are poured 4" thick and they always crack when maintenance vehicles and mowers drive over them. We pour driveways and floors at least 6" thick. Any heavy trucks anticipated we do 8" thick, but for what you need ( from what I understand from the above) 6" should be the best option. You pay for the concrete by the yard, plus a delivery charge. The delivery charge stays the same, no matter the quantity, so if you go from 4" to 6" thick (50% more concrete) the price will not be 50% higher.

Prices should be (depending on how far you are from the concrete supplier) about $100 to $200 delivery charge plus $70 to $80 per CY for the concrete.

Remember to keep the floor wet for a day or two to help it cure good (cover with visquine after it is set up)

4. Jan 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    Whoa!
    Who's buying the concrete here ? hehehe

We routinely run 360 ton hydro cranes on reinforced 5" slabs.
    The heaviest trucks on the highway sit on 7" reinforced slabs when they are loading/unloading.
    747's roll on 12" -16" thick runways.

OP, your subgrade should be good compacted crushed rock.
    You will have to decide on what kind of weight your slab will see.
    Any doubts about 4", then a reinforced 5" is a proven commodity, not a guess.

5. Jan 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Blah blah blah

Thickness requirement is also determined by reinforcement and concrete MPA

6. Jan 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    3500 PSI concrete is typical here for structural slabs on grade.
    Sometimes 4000 PSI if the engineer is a n00b.

7. Jan 5, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    All I'm getting at is thickness isn't all there is to it .

8. Jan 5, 2012 at 8:55 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Reality check here

The OP sounds like he has never been anywhere near a concrete pour , and is going to form , place and finish his own slab .

Perhaps hiring a finisher is in order and you and your buddies can be the muscle .

9. Jan 5, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    foxmotox7

foxmotox7 We'll see said the zen master

Member:
    First Name:
    Fox
    Goin where the wind don't blow so strange
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD-OR
    aFe Pro Dry Filter; Weathertech Digital Fit Mats; BFG AT/TA KO 265-75-16; Weatherguard Black Saddle Box; Truxedo Tonneau Cover; DeeZee Bed Mat; AVH-4300DVD w/ SiriusXM, Backup Camera; AMP Moto X-Tender; Adventure Truck Tent
    I personally don't think reinforcement is necessary for what your doing. What material are you using for your subgrade? Rent a jumping jack, place 4" lifts and make sure it's compacted properly. I would go with a 5-6" slab with a 4000 psi mix. It will be a little more difficult to work with due to the fact that it has a higher PC to H2O ratio. Overkill?...maybe, but at ~$8 more per yard, I feel it's worth it. Make sure to wet the subgrade with a hose prior to placing your concrete. You don't need to soak it, just enough so the subgrade doesn't suck the water content out of your mix. My $.02

10. Jan 5, 2012 at 9:00 PM
    foxmotox7

foxmotox7 We'll see said the zen master

Member:
    First Name:
    Fox
    Goin where the wind don't blow so strange
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD-OR
    aFe Pro Dry Filter; Weathertech Digital Fit Mats; BFG AT/TA KO 265-75-16; Weatherguard Black Saddle Box; Truxedo Tonneau Cover; DeeZee Bed Mat; AVH-4300DVD w/ SiriusXM, Backup Camera; AMP Moto X-Tender; Adventure Truck Tent
    ^^^^^^^
    Good advice

11. Jan 5, 2012 at 9:02 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    A friend's cousin poured a 1/4 mile long driveway with himself (unskilled) and a gang of day laborers.
    It never saw a tool...they just rodded it off and walked away. It was a multi-thousand dollar, concrete, washboard road. I almost bit the end of my tongue off driving on the thing !

Yeah, the OP needs some finishers if he wants a nice slab.
    I mentioned it back in #15.

12. Jan 5, 2012 at 10:17 PM
    4x4jeep

4x4jeep [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Destin FL.
    Yea i will be the muscle and financer haha. Have skilled people that will be telling me what to do/helping out

13. Jan 5, 2012 at 10:18 PM
    4x4jeep

4x4jeep [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Destin FL.
    Still just in the concept stage trying to figure stuff out

14. Jan 6, 2012 at 3:29 AM
    Trapper6speed

Trapper6speed Hacksaw engineer

Member:
    Stock
    I'm just a pump operator. I don't usually have to get dirty right away.

15. Jan 6, 2012 at 9:54 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Yes, this is my feeling as well.

It's extreme "point loading" that will cause problems and I don't think this slab will ever see that.
    Sometimes our cranes will crack the slab at the downrigger pad locations, for example.

Yes, the subgrade prep (and the finish quality) will make or break a slab.
    Spend the time and dig out that dirt and replace with compacted, structural fill. We use minimum 6" of 1" minus rock on subrades and often much more.

Everything is "VEed" (value engineered) these days and the more experienced engineers have found that 3500 PSI concrete yields very good performance.
    Many 3500 PSI mix design test histories will reveal that they are breaking over 4000 PSI after 28 days.
    The OP can ask for these break history printouts at the Ready-Mix company.

Always good advice.

Crack control (control joints) is very important as I have already outlined a couple of posts back.
    OP, have someone show you how to do diamond block-outs around and columns or posts out in the slab. Any "unprotected" outside (or inside) corner will project a crack out into the slab.

Also curing is of extreme importance.

Holding moisture in the slab for as long as possible during the curing process is paramount. The critical time frame is the first 7 days.
    If drying outpaces curing you will have cracking.

Three ways to do it.....

1. Spray cure
    This is a chemical film that is sprayed on the slab as soon as you can walk on it (in tennis shoes, the day of the pour).
    I like the non-water base stuff, but it is hard to find.
    Make sure that what you use is going to be compatible with whatever sealer you intend to use later.
    Go to your local Big Boy Concrete Accessories Store for advice and product. Not Home Depot for this!

2. Cover it
    6 mil visqueen
    Concrete blankets if there is freeze danger
    We avoid this method because sometimes you get scratching and/or random discoloration of the surface of the slab. Often weather forces this, though.

3. Wet cure
    In severe hot weather we will cover with GeoTextile fabric and sprinkler-soak for 7 days.
    The GeoTextile fabric acts like a giant sponge. It's the evolution of burlap and straw covered slabs.
    Straw directly on a slab will cause some nasty stains !

16. Jan 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    If this is a barn floor, then WTF.

Now if this is going to be your pride and joy shop floor you want a Hard Trowel Finish.
    This is where you have experienced finishers swingin' steel (steel finishing trowels, hand or power) until that slab is black.
    Then 10 years from now when you are sweeping with a fine horsehair push broom, that slab will bring a smile to your face.

If you skimp or fuk up the finish because you didn't have enough experienced people, you will HATE that slab every time you sweep it.
    Book it.

OP, everything you need to know is in this thread.

17. Jan 6, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    I'm going to jump into this discussion if that's okay.

I'm looking to get a concrete patio/parking pad poured this summer. It need to tie into the slab of the house because I will be finishing the structure over approx. 75 sq. ft. of it.

The slab is going to be approx. 25'x25'. I'm guessing 4" thick since it will serve regular duty as a patio with occasional parking.

When I am getting quotes, what ballpark should I be looking in for base, pour and finishing?

18. Jan 6, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    OP ,I did commercial pours for 4 years in the laborers union & although the smallest one we ever did was still about 240yds (10 guys shoveling like hell w/power skreet & me pulling up the mesh, fucked job) I dont see any harm dropping in a little mesh, but if you have to pump it , it gets pricey..

19. Jan 6, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    As I already stated, if you use mesh, always try to get in in flat panels.
    Rolled mesh is one of the most fukked products ever, for concrete reinforcement because it tries to pop up above the slab.
    You fight it during the entire pour......I've been there.

Yes to mesh in flat panels.
    A big NO to mesh in rolls.

20. Jan 6, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

x2

Products Discussed in

To Top