1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Center Console Storage Divider - Mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mceagle555, May 29, 2008.

1. May 29, 2008 at 1:16 PM
    mceagle555

mceagle555 [OP] Tacoma Shrek

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    '05 Impulse Red PreRunner DC TRD OR
    Metra iPod/aux; Rugged Cover Tri-fold Tonneau; Center Console Divider; AFE Pro-Dry S AF; 4-leaf TSB; Fumoto Oil Valve;
    I just did a mod on adding a center console storage divider on my 05 DC Taco. Total cost was under $10. Time to install under 20 mins....

It adds three wire-mesh storage compartments and still allows for open space in front of, behind, and above it.

[​IMG]

How to:

Items to buy @ Wal-mart:

- Rubbermaid Wire Mesh Desk Mini-Shelf (Available in Black or Silver @ Office Supplies Section): $8-$9
    - 1/8" to 1/4" thick foam tape (Single sided)

Tools Needed:

- Wire cutters or tin snips
    - Philips screwdriver

Directions:

1. Cut approximately 3/4" to 1" off the top of the wire mesh shelf with wirecutters or tin snips. (Cut right where the curved bend at the top starts to level out.) This should leave you with 3 compartments and about a 1/2" "fence" around the top shelf.

2. Remove the rubber feet from the Rubbermaid shelf.

3. Lay the Rubbermaid shelf flat on the back. the "shelves" not become dividers. (The 3 compartments should be accessible from the top now.)

4. Place a strip of the foam tape vertically the entire ways along each of the sides you previously cut. This tape wedges the unit into the console. (You can see the placement of the tape in the below photo)

[​IMG]

5. The console is now ready to be put in. You can set it aside.

Removing the console cover:

[​IMG]

1. Open the console. Remove the 5 small black screws holding the black plastic cover on the underside of the console lid. Remove the black cover.

2. Remove the 4 screws holding the hinge to the console lid. Remove the console lid.

3. Remove the two small gray plastic covers on either side of the hinge.

4. Remove the 4 screws holding the hinge to the bottom part of the console. Remove hinge.

5. Now take the wire mesh divider, place the end that you cut & have the foam tape on the sides towards the passenger seat. Place it flush against the passenger side wall of the console (The gap in between) and push down until it is flat against the bottom. It should be securely wedged into place.

6. Reinstall cover in reserve order. (Make sure not to forget installing the two gray plastic pieces before putting the console lid back on...)

7. That's it. You now have 3 wire mesh compartments with room still in front of, behind, and above. There is also a small gap on the driver's side of the console that you can put taller papers. (I put bank deposit slips there.)

[​IMG]

2. May 29, 2008 at 1:17 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    yeah!

Edit: No.

3. May 29, 2008 at 1:17 PM
    xraymikey

xraymikey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC TRD Off Road
    3inch lift, Running Boards. Future BFG All-terrains (once factory Rugged Terrains wear our)
    would love to see pics. I keep my cds in there. wish we had a aux plug in on the front ohh well

4. May 29, 2008 at 1:26 PM
    mceagle555

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Metra iPod/aux; Rugged Cover Tri-fold Tonneau; Center Console Divider; AFE Pro-Dry S AF; 4-leaf TSB; Fumoto Oil Valve;
    Actually, I can post pics of the aux plug in as well...I used the metra adapter from Circuit City for $50 and ran a 1/8" line under the center hump into the center console. Plus, I ran a second line for an iPod specific device to the glove box.

5. May 29, 2008 at 1:33 PM
    Dcrooks84

Dcrooks84 Sir Anal Loin of Beef

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 double cab SR5 Pkg #8 lng bd 4X4
    Removed secondary air filter, Fog light anytime, Map light mod, Scan Gauge II, Polished Stainless Steel Westin E-Series Bull Bar, Black GrilleCraft Grille, Borla CatBack Exhaust
    lets see the pics.

6. May 29, 2008 at 1:44 PM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
  7. May 29, 2008 at 2:12 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
  8. May 29, 2008 at 2:42 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    The answer is always YES.

:worthless:

9. May 29, 2008 at 6:22 PM
    mceagle555

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Pics uploaded

10. May 29, 2008 at 9:58 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You sure?

This category does not contain any images

11. May 30, 2008 at 12:00 AM
    mceagle555

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Look at the original post....

12. May 30, 2008 at 5:08 AM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    I put a Console Safe in mine.

13. May 30, 2008 at 8:19 AM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    So, is it so tight of a fit that the scratches are unavoidable? Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea, but I may shop around for other wire mesh shelving that's not so tight of a squeeze.

14. May 30, 2008 at 10:37 AM
    mceagle555

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    The scratches are definitely avoidable. It was my slip-up when putting it in.

15. Dec 27, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    Thanks for the idea. As much as I travel and work from the truck, thus is a great mod for me

16. Sep 28, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    just barely found this thread ... product doesn't seem to exist anymore. :(

Products Discussed in

To Top