1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Center support bearing or u-joints????

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by awebber3, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Nov 28, 2015 at 1:30 PM
    awebber3

awebber3 [OP] TacoTacoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    '07 DCSB Prerunner 3" lift
    Exterior: MBRP catback dual exhaust Smittybilt N-fab nerf bars Bilstein 5100 shocks & struts OME 885 & add-a-leaf Ballistic Jester 17" 265/70r/17 Nitto Terrra Grappler 5500K Retrofit Headlights (Mini D2S Stage III) Black badges, Black bull bar w/ LED Pods Satoshi Grill mod K&N air filter Tri-Fold bed cover Rearview camera EGR in-channel rain guards 10% tint rear, 10% tint front, 70% tint on windshield Pop-a-Lock tailgate handle Spidertrax wheel spacers Cab mount chop BIG 3 upgrade LED Running Board lights Black LED tail lights (’09 and up style) Black LED 3rd brake WOLO Air Horn Interior: Kenwood excelon DDX9703S 2 JL 10W1V3-4 10'' subs Alpine type-R component speakers in front Alpine type-S component speakers in rear Kenwood Excelon XR900-5 amp Weather Tech laser cut floor mats Cobra radar wired in Viper 5704 alarm w/ auto start & added glass break sensor and tilt sensor
    On my 2007 DC prerunner I noticed today that when I accelerate from a stop that I'm getting a "chirp chirp" noise from underneath the truck coming from the rear end.

I got my girlfriend to drive it while I was standing next to the truck and the sound seems to be coming from the u-joints next to the rear differential. I'm not sure If the noise is just traveling and appearing that it's coming from there or not.

The noise only happens when it is in drive from a stop. It does not happen in reverse at all.

Does anyone know if it's the u-joints or the center support bearing?

2. Nov 28, 2015 at 11:12 PM
    SpeedwayTaco160

SpeedwayTaco160 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Killeen TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Sport SWB DCSB
    try greasing your u-joints, Mine was squeaking from a stop. Pumped up my U-joints with grease. Chip is gone.

3. Nov 29, 2015 at 2:31 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    More than likely u-joints. Greasing may make the noise go away, but the damage is already there. You need to replace the joints. I recommend that they all get replaced at the same time, at least on the main drive shaft.

Products Discussed in

To Top