1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ceramic coating by Toyota...Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by RTweet, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Sep 29, 2021 at 10:34 AM
    RTweet

RTweet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2021 White TRD Pro, MT
    I just picked up my new truck after a 6 month wait (TRD PRO...the manual transmission didn't help, but I'm not going to call it a unicorn). I digress. My dealership offers ceramic coating as part of their clear care elite plan, which also includes paintless dent repair and wheel repair, as needed. Seems the extra $14 a month is worth it for the ceramic coating alone, but what do I know? That's why I'm turning to y'all....thoughts?

2. Sep 29, 2021 at 11:44 AM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Normally I'd say never buy any upgrade from a dealer.

$14 a month isn't enough money for labor for anyone qualified to do any of those services. So how is a dealer that wouldn't give away anything more than they had to making money off this plus paying for the materials?

ToyoTaco25 likes this.
  3. Sep 29, 2021 at 11:48 AM
    hyrule_trd

hyrule_trd It’s a Secret to Everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Ironman Stage 1 Foam Cell Pro lift kit, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx, SCS BR6 Wheels, SPC UCA, Heated seats, MESO TRD start button, Meso Total Tail v1, Meso V5 mirror white DRL turns, bed decal, ditch and hidden bumper lights, screen protech, RAV4 radio knobs, steering wheel anytime camera kit, dash cam, ECGS bushing, Timbren Active Off Road bump stops with Wheelers flip kit. 35% Xpel CS Ceramic Tint, KD Max Tune, SumoSprings front bump stops, RRW Sliders ‌ ‌ ▲ ▲‌ ▲
    Is that 14 a month from built in to your financing? Honestly, if that is the case, ceramic coating, if it’s a high end brand used might not be bad for the extra 800/1000 if your saying $14.00 @60/72 months.

RTweet[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Sep 29, 2021 at 11:50 AM
    RTweet

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2021 White TRD Pro, MT
    Yah, they don't disclose the brand used, but it's a 36-month plan. I park in a hospital parking lot and downtown regularly, so I figured it could be worth that alone to help rid all those damn door dings I'm likely to get. I've seen the work they do with those (on my wife's rav4) and it's quite impressive.

hyrule_trd[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Sep 29, 2021 at 11:51 AM
    RTweet

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2021 White TRD Pro, MT
    You're my kind of people - forever a skeptic. Still, we have to remember that the person isn't making $14 an hour. I'd like to assume it's much like a gym membership - they make money off the people who don't show up. It's also not offered at other toyota dealerships in the area, so it could be an incentive to get people in.

you_this_is_me likes this.
  6. Sep 29, 2021 at 11:59 AM
    hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Ironman Stage 1 Foam Cell Pro lift kit, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx, SCS BR6 Wheels, SPC UCA, Heated seats, MESO TRD start button, Meso Total Tail v1, Meso V5 mirror white DRL turns, bed decal, ditch and hidden bumper lights, screen protech, RAV4 radio knobs, steering wheel anytime camera kit, dash cam, ECGS bushing, Timbren Active Off Road bump stops with Wheelers flip kit. 35% Xpel CS Ceramic Tint, KD Max Tune, SumoSprings front bump stops, RRW Sliders ‌ ‌ ▲ ▲‌ ▲
    Thats not really that bad then. I’d agree and usually never take a dealer on add ons but adding in the ceramic coating might not be bad.
    You could also get sliders and hope the doors hit that before your truck.

7. Sep 29, 2021 at 12:02 PM
    RTweet

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2021 White TRD Pro, MT
    Oh, I'm definitely in the market for sliders (for off roading, not shopping carts and cars). Thing is, I'm not convinced they actually provide much protection from doors because of how low they are, except maybe if they are 0 degrees?

8. Sep 29, 2021 at 12:05 PM
    hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Nice! Once you lift your truck that’ll help put the sliders at door height :rofl:

I’ve just seen people say the sliders help with that. I’m waiting for mine to ship so I don’t know first hand…

9. Sep 29, 2021 at 12:11 PM
    RTweet

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2021 White TRD Pro, MT
    I’m all about careless people self-inflicting harm on their vehicles via mine, it’s why I keep my hitch ball on when I have no plans to tow anything any time soon! As for the lift, don’t mention lifting a pro in these parts unless you want to turn this thread into everyone telling me how to spend my money :rolleyes:

10. Sep 29, 2021 at 12:20 PM
    bboggio28

bboggio28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport
    i, like you recently purchased new. i got a 2020 in November of 2019. my thinking was that anything the dealer was offering as far as drivetrain, paint protection, undercoat was worth it to me be because i could take it to one place and let the dealer "deal" with it or at least be given the peace of mind that anything done was not going to void a warranty. what i dont know is how often ceramic coatings need done. so if its any quality product at possibly two applications might be worth it.

11. Sep 29, 2021 at 12:24 PM
    hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    :rofl::anonymous:

what you need is a hitch skid too… @WarFab Armor should have them for sale again soon…

12. Sep 29, 2021 at 12:29 PM
    slapntz

slapntz Well-Known Member

Member:
    I did graphene coating b/c my truck sits outside always (bird droppings, etc.). Worth it IMO. Better than ceramic as it doesn't streak when wet. I would never buy from a dealer - just have it done aftermarket if you want to. Was told coatings typically last 2-3 years.

RTweet[OP] likes this.
  13. Sep 29, 2021 at 12:44 PM
    RTweet

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2021 White TRD Pro, MT
    Brilliant!

14. Sep 29, 2021 at 12:44 PM
    RTweet

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2021 White TRD Pro, MT
    Good advice - I'll look into it. I also park outside in the PNW. What price point is reasonable?

15. Sep 29, 2021 at 12:52 PM
    slapntz

slapntz Well-Known Member

Member:
    I live in California (so nothing is reasonable....) but I think paid between $600 - $800. I think ceramic was on the low end and graphene on the high end of that, but I didn't shop it much as I didn't have time. I did a year ago and water still rolls off the truck. Kind of nuts how much things have changed from "nu finish". I'd like to have my other vehicles done as well, but haven't had the time to take them.

16. Sep 29, 2021 at 7:34 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Confused here. Ceramic coating will not help with door dings at all if that is what you are saying.

17. Sep 29, 2021 at 8:32 PM
    RTweet

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2021 White TRD Pro, MT
    No sir, a component of the plan is paintless dent repair. Some jackass got my wife’s door real good and now it’s like it never happened.

ace96[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Sep 30, 2021 at 5:39 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    If they will share the brand it might be worth looking into the coating.

19. Sep 30, 2021 at 5:51 AM
    crashdb

crashdb I break chainsaws

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Matrix
    Rollin' hydrocarbons!
    Somewhere in the $1500 range. It's tempting to go the dealer route, but without knowing who is doing it and what they're using, I'd bypass. Generally, you'll get better results in the aftermarket. The folks there doing it will perform a paint correction (dealer installed swirls are standard) and apply the coating. These guys should be well-experienced, high-end detailers that know what they're doing. Dealership? Who knows? And depending on the coating used, you may have more longevity.

Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely. I've had a few cars done and I love it. After every wash I'd have people asking me what kind of wax I just used or how long I spent. And it was just a soap and water wash. Just the time saved in my book made it worthwhile.

20. Nov 2, 2021 at 9:51 AM
    tunabrad

tunabrad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    California
    Vehicle:
    2019 White DCSB SR5
    Coming from a detailer, never go the dealer route. I have worked on customers cars that had been claimed to be coated by the dealership just to find out there was no coating on the vehicle. The customer had no idea and it always sucks having to explain to them that they dealership scammed them with a spray on coating that wore off in a couple weeks or no coating at all. My advice is if you want to get your vehicle coated, go to a professional detailer. You wouldn't ask a detailer to sell you a car, so why ask the dealership to detail a car.

Too Stroked, RNILT and vtown like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top