1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Certified vs Pre-owned

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BrowardBoy, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Oct 24, 2010 at 2:21 PM
    BrowardBoy

BrowardBoy [OP] Member

Member:
    If the carfax is clean, is the CPO worth the extra $$? Toyota seems to last...

2. Oct 24, 2010 at 2:51 PM
    bmxer2076

bmxer2076 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gennaro
    Egg Harbor City, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Smittybilt Step bars, OEM Roof Rack, Trex 2 Eyelids, Painted Stock Wheels, AVID off-road Bar (front and back), Hella 500 Driving lights, Billet Grille (5 pc.), Tinted all the way around (including Windshield), TRD Shift Knob, Fuel Hostage wheels (17x9) in General Grabber (red letters) 33x12.50R17, MBRP Exhaust, aFe Stage 2 Intake, Toytec 3" Adjustable Bilstein Lift
    yes it is. CPO give you warranty till 100k on drivetrain. preowned doesnt.

3. Oct 24, 2010 at 3:05 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I would say no. They do very little to "certify" those special cars...but they charge you a significant amount more.

4. Oct 24, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I think it depends on who's doing the certifying. The local Toyota dealership I talked to really did a lot of work I considered unnecessary for a vehicle with only 25K on it. Like putting on new brakes, belts, plugs, PCV and changing absolutely all the fluids: transmission, differential, brake, anti-freeze, power steering as well as engine oil and all the filters...air, oil, transmission, and fuel.

They also detailed it so well that even underneath it looked like a new truck. (Yes, I was crazy enough to almost crawl under the truck on the lot to look at it.) I even noted fresh white lithium that made me think they actually DID all the 'check, lube and adjust' crap they charge $600 for at the 36K mile service the dealer tries to sell you!

Does it really NEED all that? maybe not...and like you say it IS a more expensive used truck. But you're still getting a nice discount on the new price (otherwise look at new, stupid!) and it's nice knowing it WAS all done so you can relax for a while as though it were new.

If they give a nice warranty with it then that adds value hard to ignore; iirc they give a bumper-bumper 12 mo. 12K mile on certified in addition to residual mfr's warranty.

5. Oct 24, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    ridederty

ridederty Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Had a Trd Off Road Dcab, Now an FJ owner.
    RBP Steps, Trd skid plate linexed, Vent Visors, Ipod interface, Weathertechs, Pirate hitch cover, Laredo Toneau cover, White Devil Horns, TRD exhaust, TRD intake, Billstein 5100's on all 4 corners set at 2.5 in front,Rear TSB springs & 1" block,Total Chaos UCA's,Grillcraft upper with black surround, PIAA 520 crystal ion fogs behind grill,LED Taillights, Factory Roofrack.....more on the way I'm sure! Why can't I stop?
    Depends on how close to new the truck is, how much you plan on driving it or how long you're keeping it. Also I wouldn't listen to generic comments of "not worth it" or "they don't do anything to it" any reputable dealer will give you a copy of the service repair order if you ask for it and you can judge for yourself. Sure, things get replaced during certification before they really need to but if you don't want to worry about having to get hit with a big repair bill after owning for a couple months then certification is a wise move.

6. Oct 25, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    IMHO, CPO is nothing more than a warranty. While the CPO "checklist" is normally available, what they actually do is dependant on who is doing it and the mood they are in that day. That being said, the only value I put to CPO is the warranty, if the CPO is cheaper then the pre-owned+similar warranty, then it makes sense, otherwise pre-owned and buy your own warranty.

Products Discussed in

To Top